PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know much about Space?

Wezzy
04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
If anyone know anything about Space or anything in Space thats not really very obvious, please post it here ;) Cause i wanna know about it; it looks cool.

Tiny Bronco
04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
1. A Saturn moon has liqiud water on it. Shame its full of acids/methane
2. Mars has Ice caps.
3. Alpha Centauri is the closet star to our own. 4.5 light years away.
4. The Hubble Space Telescope can look back in time in a sense.
5. Negative Energy is a particle that has negative mass. (Repelled by gravity)
6. Dark Energy does basically the same thing. Its beleived to be accelerating the expansion of the unniverse. If humans could create/controll this stuff we could theroetically go faster than light. Might blow up Earth in the process, but O well.
7. The sun creates its energy by converting hydrogen to helium (fusion) or something like that.
8. The unniverse is very very cool looking
9. A Super Nova is when a star collapses on itself because it has run out of feul and then Exploooooodes
10. A Super Nova can temperarally Out Shine everything in the Milky Way. Which is saying something since the Milky Way has an estimated 100 billion + solar systems. Pobably a lot more.

NOTE: Some of these are the excepted theorys of science. Not fact.

I'm very interested in space too.

ShadowHeart
04-23-2006, 06:58 AM
9. A Super Nova is when a star collapses on itself because it has run out of feul and then Exploooooodes
Only the biggest stars end their lives in a Super Nova. A small or medium sized star (such as our sun) will not end in a Super Nova. These will, when they dont' have enough hydrogen to sustain the hydrogen fusion anymore, start to fusion helium into yet heavier elements, causing the star to grow immensly and turn red, a so-called red giant. This process will continue, fusioning heavier and heavier elements, but eventually when there is no more fuel, the outer layers will be ejected into space as a planetary nebulae (an expanding ring, or rather sphere, of gas), and the core is all that remains basically. The remains is called a white dwarf, and will slowly cool off over a course of billions of years :)

Wezzy
04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
I thought the remains of a SuperNova was a Black Hole, a vacuum inside a vacuum, sucking everything in including light, and light is time so a Black Hole destroys time. The omst dangerous thing in the universe...

ShadowHeart
04-28-2006, 02:43 PM
The remains will be a black hole, yes. Did I say it wasn't? I don't remember doing that.

Tiny Bronco
04-28-2006, 03:45 PM
They could become a black hole, but most cores left from a Super Nova will either become a white dwarf, a black dwarf, or a pulsar star. Not sure if I spelled that right. Anyone know about String/M Theory? I find that one very interesting.

.infinite
04-30-2006, 12:46 PM

I'm skeptical about what you mean on this one. The telescope focuses light differently than the human eye, but it cannot somehow "see" light that has not yet reached the lens.

And as for string theory, its is incredibly complicated, but the most basic gist is that our multidimensional space is comprised of 1 dimensional strings of energy instead of the classically accepted 0 dimensional point.
There are some other basic tenants accepted by string theorists, such as the set length of the strings (Plank Length, also complicated) and that they vibrate at resonant frequencies.
Theres a lot more to it, but there are also quite a few variations and disagreements.

Tiny Bronco
04-30-2006, 01:26 PM

I'm skeptical about what you mean on this one. The telescope focuses light differently than the human eye, but it cannot somehow "see" light that has not yet reached the lens.

And as for string theory, its is incredibly complicated, but the most basic gist is that our multidimensional space is comprised of 1 dimensional strings of energy instead of the classically accepted 0 dimensional point.
There are some other basic tenants accepted by string theorists, such as the set length of the strings (Plank Length, also complicated) and that they vibrate at resonant frequencies.
Theres a lot more to it, but there are also quite a few variations and disagreements.

I'll explain about Hubble.

The Hubble Deep Feild is an area so incredibly far away that light from its many millions of stars hardly reaches Earth. To us and all of our telescopes this area looked completely black and void of anything. A team (can't remeber there names) wondered why and decided to point the Hubble at that area to see if it could pick up any light. (Hubble is currently our best telescope) After about a month of looking at this area for 12ish hrs. a day the Hubble had detected enoof light to put together a picture. There was really millions of millions of solar systems in the area. This led NASA to thinking how far away thes solar systems were. It turns out that for light to be that dim when it came from such a bright source it would have to travel for several hundreds of millions of years before it reached Earth. So what Hubble saw was what those stars looked like hundreds of millions of years ago. This is how Hubble can see back in time. We have no clue what the Hubble Deep Feild looks like now because light from it has reached Earth yet.

To continue my list of random stuufs about space..
11. There is nearly 9 times more x-ray light in the universe than visible light.
12. Most gamma rays are made when a star collapses.
13. The Hubble Space Telescope will go out of order aroun mid 2007 because NASA can't replace its batterys do to cost. :(
14. Our sun won't run out of energy for another 400,000,000 million years. Or maybe its four billion. I can't remember.

Lyde Lyde
04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I know that recently a new planet was discovered, so far for now they're calling it Planet X because they're not entirely sure if it's a planet or a moon to another planet that they haven't discovered yet.

Tiny Bronco
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
It's an asteroid very very looselt orbiting the sun. Though it might still become a planet because Pluto is also an asteroid orbiting the sun. There really is no exact definition of a planet. I think that "Planet" X is part of the Ooin Cloud.

SethirothVII
05-13-2006, 07:30 PM
there are 3 diffrent types of supernova and they are sun MIGHT have the samllest supernova what are all total destruction and the biggest supernova can be seen anywhere in the gaxalies and milky ways. There has been 2-3 supernova seen from earth by naked eye and only sometimes when a supernova happens it leaves a black hole and a masive amount of matter wot turns into another sun.

Also there are 3 outcomes to the end of the universe
1. It carries on expanding and getting bigger proven by the red shift (droppler effect)
2. The universe stops expanding and stays same size
3. Last one if the BIG CRUNCH the universe stops expanding and starts getting smaller everything shall be crunch and destroyed Steven Hawkins beleives if this happens our lifes and the universe rewinds then the big bang happens again.

Also another planet past pluto has been discovered
They have discovered a solar syestem exactly like ours
Also they have seen a comet that is bigger than the one that killed off the dinsosaurs and it might hit Earth they are not sure also the haleys comet wot passes earth every 75 years when a leader comes to power then he is the most likely person to be the antichrist.

Wanna know the diffren types of supernova follow the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova

SethirothVII
05-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Only bigger bang than a supernova is the big bang what was two huge amsses of matter collide cuaes a massive nuclear fusion reaction causeing a massive energy and blast

Seyluv
06-15-2006, 01:22 AM
I know that there is no gravity, no air, there are, the is a planet called planet 'x'.

darkshadow2247
06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
i have a theory about space posted somewhere. i cant remember it verbatum but if i ever find where i posted it, i'll bring it here

richboywonder
07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
well,uh there's planets and you can't breathe in space.i'm not good in science.how do planets float.

dappa
10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I read in an astronomy book that In 2-3 billion years the sun will run out of hydrogen and then start burning all its helium reserves causing it to become a red giant star. The book said that it would expand as far as the earth either devouring it or scorching really badly like mercury.

I also read that by calculating the speed of light and using it to work out how far light has travelled you could see back into the past, light which supposedly appeared 3 secs after the big bang but there is no earlier evidence of any light before this 3 seconds.

John Smith
10-12-2006, 05:56 PM
The light provinient from the sun takes 8 minutes to reach the planet Earth.
The meteorite belt between Earth and Mars (Or is it Mars and Jupiter?) are beleived to be the remaints of the explosion of a planet that once existed in that orbit.

I love Space too :p

Kat
10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
=o
i loveses astronomy <3
and i pretty much was going to say what Dappa said,in ~5 billion years the sun will become a giant,and the earth is about the size of a White Dwarf,and White Dwarfs are stars that are really bright but not really hot,just incase you were wodering what it was :Rolleyes:
i don't know alot about it,but i like learning about it.

dappa
10-13-2006, 07:45 AM
I also read that two galaxies on either side of our galxy (cant remember their names) which are travelling at very fast speeds will eventually crash into our galaxy in milions of years time causing lets say plenty of reactions.

dappa
10-13-2006, 07:50 AM
There is a theory that jupiter is a failed star. One astronomy magazine which I read said that if the chemical reactions of jupiter were stronger than what they are now. Jupiter would have enough power to turn itself into a star. Just aswell it cant though.

ultimecia
11-02-2006, 09:40 AM
i found this on a website called www.space.com about when the delta 4 is going into space next,

MISSION UPDATE

Delta 4 Rocket to Launch Military Weather Satellite
For 4:25 p.m. EDT Friday, October 27:

A Boeing-built Delta 4 medium rocket is set to launch the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program 17 (DMSP 17) weather satellite into orbit in a space shot to lift off from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The satellite is slated to launch between 8:53-9:03 a.m. EST (1353-1403 GMT) on Nov. 4 from Vandenberg's Space Launch Complex-6.

Built for the U.S. Air Force by Lockheed Martin, the DMSP 17 satellite is aimed for a polar orbit to aid global weather prediction of the U.S. military. The spacecraft carries a sophisticated sensor suite capable of scanning cloud cover in the visible and infrared wavelengths, as well as measure precipitation, surface temperature and soil moisture. The vehicle is also designed to collect global meteorological, oceanographic and solar-geophysical data on weather conditions, according a Lockheed Martin description.

The military's DMSP satellite constellation currently consists of two spacecraft in near-polar orbits, and should be amplified by four additional elements slated to launch in upcoming years, Lockheed officials said. DMSP 17 is one of those four yet to fly, they added.

Tariq Malik, SPACE.com staff writer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Rocket
About the Launch Site

Built by Boeing, the Delta 4 family can trace its heritage back to the Air Force's Thor nuclear missile. It was designed as part of the Air Force's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program and relies on a common booster core stage. It can be combined with various booster rockets and nose cones to handle a wide variety of satellite delivery missions. Military and commercial versions will be flown from the Cape and Vandenberg AFB. Learn more here. Vandenberg Air Force Base is located north of Los Angeles and sits along the Pacific Coast of California. Historically, Vandenberg is where the military practiced launching missiles after they were tested at Cape Canaveral and declared operational. In more modern times, Vandenberg also serves as a missile test site, as well as the main base for launching spacecraft into polar orbits over Earth.
Learn more here.

ultimecia
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
A Boeing Delta 4 rocket is to orbit the DMSP 17 weather satellite for the U.S. Air Force from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

Phoenix Flame
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
The vastness of space. Isn't it amazing!

Black holes are only formed from the largest of stars.

The more massive the star, the more matter/gravity it has. When the star exhausts it's fuel, it begins expanding before it collapses in on itself (as other's have said) turning into a black hole.

There are even super-massive black holes. One is believed to be at the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

I once hypothesized that if you could control how gravity worked, you could travel faster than light. My thought is that gravity acts faster than light travels. If you placed an object with large mass in an area of the galaxy where another object's mass would tug at it - I believe that the trajectory of the two objects would change before the light from one would get to the other...

I thought it was a cool theory!

dappa
11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
They also say that most of the mass of the universe is unseen dark matter.

Axel
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
There is a theory going around the scientific community that our universe is one among many, which is called a multiverse or multi-membrane. Our universe was formed due to two other universes colliding. Here is another random Space tidbit- there is a theory that if you fold the fabric of time and space you can travel between the folds, try searching for wormhole theory on wikipedia.org