PDA

View Full Version : New Signature Size Limit.

Arkacia
05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Some of us have noticed that a few members have some really huge sigs. These are overpowering posts, making it a pain to scroll through pages, and I suspect are a nightmare to people still on dial up.

So we have decided to bring in a mandatory sig size limit for both picture and text that will apply to all members.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/Kyronia/ba2b2d48.jpg

While it is ok for a sig to be the width of a post, without breaking the walls of course, it isn't ok for them to be any higher than the red rectangle above which is 130 pixels. We feel that is way big enough.

Everyone will get a week or so grace to give you all time to read this and do something about your sig yourself if it exceeds the size limit. After that, we will begin leaving messages in oversized sigs to reduce them, and if they are not fixed in a resonable amount of time, we will delete them.

Austin Al
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
r u like the police of dorks or something... sig's should be what ever size we want them to be.......

Zeromus_X
05-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Some peoples' browsers have a hard time loading freakishly huge images, so it really works out well for everybody. And besides, signatures don't need to be incredibly huge. The size decided on is perfectly fine. I don't see why it's really a problem.

Austin Al
05-19-2006, 10:51 AM
because it was my fault..... because the picture i made on there, it was really big.. that is why. i have dial up and i don't care so pooo on u.... lol... no but really

why does it matter... if there computers can't load the picture then oh well.... that should not be are fault...

Arkacia
05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
First off Austin Al, flameing an administrator is an incredibly stupid thing to do. I seriously suggest you change your tone, or I will give you a permanent holiday away from this site and you won't need to worry anymore about sig sizes, savvy?

It isn't just your fault. There are a few sigs in here that really do go over the top.

It matters because every member on this site has the right to resonable access, and shouldn't have to sit and wait for ages for every page to load just because someone has a massive sig. It is also very annoying to have to scroll like a maniac just to get past the darn things and find the next post in a thread.

This is the rule that has been decided on. It isn't up for compromise. I think the limit is very resonable.

Zeromus_X
05-19-2006, 11:02 AM
This doesn't concern just you, alot of members have really oversized signatures. Anyway, it isn't a big deal. It isn't very difficult to keep a signature under the height of the red box.

Edit: Ark got there before me.

Austin Al
05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
that is not the point,,,,,, ur sig is gone i see... why did u take it off?

Austin Al
05-19-2006, 11:18 AM
the only thing that makes me mad is that u just now are tellin poeple about this..... i like the week notice but still.... i didn't know that u are the administrator..... thank u for make this cool site.... back to the subject.... i understand what u are saying but...... well would u tell me how to change the size of an image....

Austin Al
05-19-2006, 11:30 AM
that is so cool the administrator threatened me lol...... i feel bad.... GRRRRR....

Spiff
05-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Arkacia, some of the sigs were getting out of hand. If I remember correctly sigs also consume bandwidth on the board and some sites don't even allow them.

Tiny Bronco
05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Is my signature fine?

And a question. Didn't Shaggy make this site? I always though he did, but I never had a reason to think that.

Arkacia
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Austin Al, that wasn't a threat, it was a promise ;).

You can shrink images down in programs like paint, photoshop ect. I ususally use paint myself, find it the easiest.

Tiny Bronco, yes you are right. Shaggy did make this site. I just help him out where I can. Your sig is too high I'm afraid. The new limit is 130 pixels, text or images or both.

Squall Lionheart
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Let's be reasonable, texts can't be compared to pictures...it's a big diffrence...

Tiny Bronco
05-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I got rid of my happiness quote. :(
How do you find how many pixels there are in a signature?

Austin Al
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
ok.... fine i'll leave it alone... but i would reather thank of it as a threat.. but a Promise works too... to tell u the truth i don't know why i was freaking out about it.... lol.. i guess all good thingd must come to an end sometime..... i'm just not very good with computers..... not to be mean or anything but u guys r suck ups.... its ok... thank u for letting me join again... and i would hope to be able to make new treands and cool stuff like that... FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS COOL...

Zeromus_X
05-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Actually, for people with lots of text, putting your text to the lowest size ('1'), will help shrink down the signature size, if it helps.

ShadowHeart
05-21-2006, 06:29 AM
And you can remove the space between the lines too, Squall.

My main problem with large signatures is that there is so much nonsense (well okay maybe not, but I generally don't even look at signatures more than maybe the first time I see one) to scroll over. If someone with a huge signature that takes up tons of room has made a lot of posts in a thread, that means immense amounts of stuff you have to scroll over just to read the actual posts.

Squall Lionheart
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
What I meant was that texts should be allowed a diffrent height than pictures because they don't make as much trouble....

...I'm just asking you to reconsider this decision for the texts...

Arkacia
05-22-2006, 11:45 PM
A big sig is a big sig. Whether pictures or text. Both are annoying to other members when they over power posts, and/or take much scrolling to get past. The red box would accomdate 9 or 10 lines of text within the 130 pixel limit, I think that is more than generous for a text sig.

A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make (not just you Squall, that is a general comment).

Squall, yours is too big and needs to be reduced. As I said earlier, this is an announcement of a new forum rule, not a discussion on ways to water it down.

Zeromus_X
05-23-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm sure it'll fit if you use the 'sig-cutting' techniques already mentioned. :)

Tiny Bronco
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Or you could just completely change your sig. like I did. Can't decide on a good color for my text though. :( Any help?

Zerlina
06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make

Or in the case of people on the RP board, about 1/50th of our posts.

Anyways, I just found this thread and realized I'm 1 pixel over. Uh...do you honestly care? Or can I leave it?

Tiny Bronco
06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Zerlina

Or in the case of people on the RP board, about 1/50th of our posts.

Anyways, I just found this thread and realized I'm 1 pixel over. Uh...do you honestly care? Or can I leave it?

lol. 1 pixel over.
I bet mine is to big. I'll change the size.

Zeromus_X
06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm sure if it's just one pixel too big, it'll be okay. :) (I mean, it isn't some collosal banner, at least.)

Suhiro
06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
A big sig is a big sig. Whether pictures or text. Both are annoying to other members when they over power posts, and/or take much scrolling to get past. The red box would accomdate 9 or 10 lines of text within the 130 pixel limit, I think that is more than generous for a text sig.

A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make (not just you Squall, that is a general comment).

Squall, yours is too big and needs to be reduced. As I said earlier, this is an announcement of a new forum rule, not a discussion on ways to water it down.

ok...but you have a problem...the RPG stats on the left side makes scrolling nececery in any way so putting a sig of say 380x140 is no big deal...you still have scroilling to do...and lots of it too...IMO remove these stats and leave a link to the full stats...that will shorten the overall lenth of the post by a mile and make it easier for the users...

Tiny Bronco
06-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Before this rule was forced some people had sigs. that were the length of about two peices of paper. It gets annoying. Its better this way. I don't think the stats arre that long at all. It might be changed anyway though once the RPG is updated.

Zeromus_X
06-07-2006, 12:56 PM
You can display them as a drop-down, but I think you've discovered that already. :) Yes, if not dropped-down, they are also space-takers.

Suhiro
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
im just sayin that one pic the size 400x150 max and 3-4 lines of text arent much...

ShadowHeart
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
You can make the RPG stats a dropdown instead of always displaying, it's a setting in your User CP.

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I guess we've been leniant on it, but from now on, I'll be editing (any and all) members' signatures that are too big with a message stating such. You may of course replace the message when you have an appropriate signature, but it's just a little reminder.

Greendragon
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
umm i got the max height of 130 pixels. but whats the max length?

Arkacia
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
The width allowed is roughly the width of a post. The height is more of a concern than the width.

ChocoboMan
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
A couple days ago when i was changing my avartar the maxium was 160 x 160.

richboywonder
07-26-2006, 11:44 PM
my signature and avatar are at least 150 by 150 pixels.what's wrong with that.

Arkacia
07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
A couple days ago when i was changing my avartar the maxium was 160 x 160.

There is a red rectangle in the first post of this thread. That is as high as you can go. Width remains the width of the sig/post area.

richboywonder, your sig is fine, and looks good I might add :).

John Smith
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Why don't you hide these things under the avatar?

They are much much bigger than any Sig that can be used

blukazoo159
08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
1 question? say if we were to have a sig contest or something, do u think u could mabey, i dont know, drop the sig size limit for just the contest??? please!!! i have a real good one!!!

blukazoo159
08-09-2006, 06:20 PM
are u going to answer me??? i just want to know!!!!!!

Arkacia
08-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I have only just seen this.

I'm not sure about dropping the limit, even if it is just for the contest. Will have to think about it.

Slider
08-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi,I haven't made a signature yet but I was thinking that wouldn't it be better if you limit it by Kb point of view...that way If someone has a text it wouldn't be injust or if someone has the same size you specified but vertically...What do you think!
P.S. I talking to whoever isthe moderator in here since it's my first time
P.S.S. Don't ban me (yet!)

Zeromus_X
12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
I've been browsing around lately, and I've seen that quite a few regulars here have had images in their signatures which are at least 15 or more pixels over the height limit. While I don't think text is too much of a problem (though, as I always remind everyone, setting it to the lowest text size is best), I don't want to have to except anyone from following the rules. This is just a reminder for anyone here to try and resize their banners to at 130 pixels or below, as I don't feel like leaving messages in more than seven peoples' signatures. :P

Zeon
01-04-2007, 11:05 AM
i just wanna check with someone here......i no its 130 pixels hieght and the length of the post but just how many words is tht??? how many characters??? i wouldnt like to change much in mine (i was planning to soon to get rid of tht really annoying red bit lol) but some people just use pics and others just txt......i think if someone wnts a pic then the pixel bit would count but with txt characters rather than pixels...surely pics take more bandwidth so would be better to restrict the size of those??

Catalyst
01-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I apologize for this question as it may have been covered at some point or another, but my signature's dimensions are 468 x 120. As well, in my profile I mention the game company I am trying to develop, and is my signature's contents acceptable or do I need a non-relating signature?

Zeromus_X
01-14-2007, 01:03 AM
No problem, in fact, those are probably the best places you could advertise in. We only allow advertising in signatures and the like, but not in threads.

Catalyst
01-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Thank you very much Zeromus_X I appreciate it.

Squall Leonhart
07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
So is mine too big?

Zeromus_X
07-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Yes, that can be solved by only using one of your images and possible reformatting the smilies.

Tifa-chan
07-15-2007, 10:54 AM
>.< still thing it should be larger but that's just me. I want to show off my pretty work...*sighandtapsforfigerstogether*

Zeromus_X
07-16-2007, 06:56 AM
130 pixels in height. Unlimited width as long as it doesn't break the tables. You have plenty of room. We could be even more restrictive and limit the filesize of the image but that's unlimited too (a forum I go to has a 50kb limit).

clief101_
10-01-2007, 03:37 AM
dats gotta suk...i had a really kool siggy, and im sorry, but i didnt know bout this thread b4 and what 130 megapixels was...my mate made it 4 me so he didnt know bout the restrictions...i no i shuldnt argue and stuff, but i think that maybe it shuld be raised to 150 mega pixels, coz it limits us so much...and its only 20 mega pixels...anyway, its just an idea