PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 9 is quite underrated

alfaitha
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Why is everyone always so hard on FF9. I think that it's a damn good game.

LoKuS
05-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree, most people dont like it, but i think its damn good.

Squall85
05-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I'd want to say its a good game, but it dragged. It was a disappoointment

Gumdrop
05-06-2005, 05:39 AM
I think it was a good game, on of the best FF's imo but this is the FF8 forum not the FF9 forum.

ShadowHeart
05-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah, this should have been posted on the FF9 forums.. but yeah, FFIX is a great game IMO.

xoBabyGurl22ox
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
:) FF8 not 9 people. lol joking. Final Fantasy 9 is cool though!

Raven
05-15-2005, 03:07 AM
FF9 is not a bad game. It is a different game. When people fear differences, they tend to not give the subject a chance. I like it as my second favorite. :)

gcarev10
11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
it is good but ff 8 is best of best.

Barret05
11-15-2005, 01:43 PM
FF9 was good but i didn't like the whole mist thing dat IMO was kinda stupid compared 2 da rest IMO ff8 was the most realistic explanantion for the monsters

Gumdrop
11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Why is it this thread is about FF9 but it seems most people mention 8 in it, it's not about which is best but that its underratted. :/
Plus the mist is a lot more realistic and less stupid than lets say...flying buildings. It's a fantasy game it's aim should not be realisum really though.

Tydo
11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
i would say that FF9 was my second favourite outta all em... i loved the storyline and the characters personalities... i would give it a 10/10 but the trance thing was a good ide but didn't like it too much seeings u couldn't choose when u wanted to use it... the only downfall for me but still 10/10

Avathar
12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
FF9 has a good story, but..... the game's WAY TO EASY :D

Squall Lionheart
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
About that... a friend told me that the GFs appear only the first time they are used then they are skipped...

Tiny Bronco
01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I haven't played FF9 but it's what i picked to get next and from what i hear, it is damn good! :D

Squall Lionheart
02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
whatever brought that to FF8 in the first place.....

ShadowHeart
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
About that... a friend told me that the GFs appear only the first time they are used then they are skipped...
Actually, the summons have 2 version each. A short and a long (normal) version. The first time you use a summon, you see the long version, after that you see the short version all the time. However, there is a setting in the config menu where you can make the game show the long version every time if you want :)

Squall Lionheart
02-02-2006, 05:23 PM
well that solves it....

gcarev10
03-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I agree with ShadowHeart

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey SH, are you sure you're not thinking of FFX? I thought you had to have the 'Boost' ability from Pumice Piece to show the whole summon animation. (And have the summons do more damage.) Unless it's been there this whole time and I never ever noticed :p

Squall Lionheart
03-19-2006, 07:49 PM
What is this doing in FF8...it doesn't belong here......

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
It is?! Heh, thanks for pointing that out :p I'll move it now. (Why is it in FFVIII anyway? )

ShadowHeart
03-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Hm maybe you're right Zeromus_X. Maybe I'm mixing the games up. But I know FFIX has a long and a short version of each summon too. First time you summon it's the normal long, then it's the short version after that. And the only way after that to force the game to show the long version is by equipping Boost?

Zeromus_X
03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, it'll randomly show the full animation after that. (It'll also be more powerful.) And Garnet's Trance, 'Eidolon' will show it I believe. The Boost Ability will make it so it'll always show it though. :)(And of course, "Boost" the power of the summon xD)

ShadowHeart
03-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Yeah, it all comes back to me now lol. I haven't played through FFIX for a very long time. I started a game a while ago but stopped after I think ~50 attempts at stealing everything from the first Beatrix encounter :p I'll have to pick that up again sometime!

LoneWolf
03-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Yes, that is a real pain shadow. Not sure how many times i took a break from the game cause of that, real fun game though.

gcarev10
04-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah u mast learn the boost and u see all section on summon when u coll him.

YuRiPa
04-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Going off the subject of summoning :) I thought FFIX was damn good! I enjoyed every second of it.. And whats all this nonscence of it 'not bein realistic' and 'FFVIII is more realistic so its better'? The games ain't supposed to be realistic.. thats why they are fantasy games :P

gcarev10
04-15-2006, 06:03 PM
ha ha ha u got a point , but u see we all wont lookour selfs in something so if it realistick it is beter.

necron
06-12-2006, 06:43 PM
FF9 would have to be neck and neck to me with FF7, i may be a little brash about putting it so high up, but it had a great story, the best character development since ff6, and while "melodies of life" got really redundant, it is my favorite ff soundtrack! I love how they brought back the old scenerios, and super-defromed characters. It was Nastalgic for those who have played the earlier final .

necron
06-12-2006, 06:50 PM
It hasn't been that long since i've played FF9 and yes, after you summon the first time, you don't see the whole summon anymore. I noticed it when summoning Carbuncle. It used to show the phoenix, and all of a sudden it would just be it swooping by another times i summoned it. It also has an option to show long or short summons in the options screen where you can change the menu color and etc.

Freya Crescent
08-11-2006, 03:18 PM
i would say that FF9 was my second favourite outta all em... i loved the storyline and the characters personalities...

I second that.

C_Dub
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
FF9 was a great game.. though i liked all Final fantasies and a lot of people said it wasn't that great but i think it was underrated.

Glock
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
FF9 is a good game, and i haven't heard anyone say they hate it, or that it was the worse FF ever. i hear more people hate FF8 then FF9 (i'm saying in general, not on this forum)

ave
08-18-2006, 05:31 AM
http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/banners/garnet.jpg (http://ff-fan.com)whichFF character are you? (http://ff-fan.com/chartest) I LOVED FF9 but so many people hate it i dont no how thay could hate it :confused:

dappa
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
I once lent my copy to a friend and he played it for a while then returned it saying he didn't like it reason being that he didn't like the way the people looked and the kings and queens medieval theme.

I have met a few others who dont like this game for the same reasons but its their loss.

I think the game is wicked but my only gripe is the limit breaks.

Caras
10-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I find FF9 the best one of all. I love the story line and the graphics, there differnt from the other FF. Its a great game and will always be my favorite.

Spec Highwind
10-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Quite.

FantasyFanatic
10-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Personally I love FF9, the only small complaint I had about the game is that the characters/enviornments looked a little too cartoony. I know that is what they intended but I think it would have been slightly more enjoyable, at least from my point of view, if it looked slightly more reality based.

My favorite character is Vivi by far!

calgar
11-06-2006, 08:18 AM
I actually really like IX but I am fed up with the fanboys surrounding VII.

Avathar
12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I actually think the main reason why this game would be seen as underrated, is that there are or were still a lot of FF fans who just didn't find the mix of fairy tale / animé-styled characters very appealing!

Which, I find quite charming, really. :) =/ But I can truly guess it can turn down for quite a lot of gamers..

Doctor
12-18-2006, 02:42 AM
I'll be honest: FF9 was actually the first Final Fantasy I ever played.

Yes...FF9 started my love for the series. It's not my absolute FAVORITE, but it's up there next to all of my other favorite games...

The storyline is what really enthralled me most. It made me think: "If this game is so great, then all of the others must be great too!"

So I'm glad I got to play it. ^_^

Andrew Scaves
12-18-2006, 11:31 AM
IX's my favorite who says they don't like it?

Spec Highwind
12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I didn't like it that much... I played it, I reached the 4th CD, then I stopped playing because it was a bit boring... Maybe I didn't have much time to play it back then, and I had to give it back to my friend who I borrowed the game from...

Avathar
12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, yeah, when I look at it too: gameplay- and story-wise, the fourth disc is the shortest, and the least fulfilling. =o Quite odd, since it'd be the climax of the whole.

Phoenix Flame
12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I only played through it once and didn't find anything enticing enough to come back to it since I flipped it. Although I would like to play through the classics again. :p

dappa
12-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I like it cause its final fantasy and thats that.

I like zidanes motto, "you dont need a reason to help people"

Avathar
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I like it cause its final fantasy and thats that.

o_O

Suppose there would be a new Duck Hunt-like game, but it comes under the title and label of "Final Fantasy",

you would like it, just 'cause it's Final Fantasy? :p

Phoenix Flame
12-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Re: above statement...

Ummm... is this, like, true or dare or somethin o_0 Nyahhahaaa!

Sorry,.. Terrett's.

NARF!

dappa
12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
A duck hunt final fantasy, sounds good!!!!!!

Nah only joking.

Avathar
12-20-2006, 11:32 AM
:p You do understand why I quite reacted with the 'o_O' smiley?

Vivi the King
12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Final Fantasy 9 was great it got the gretest character of all time.... Vivi...

Zeon
01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
FF9..........it was the beginning of the end......it all went pear shaped from 9 on.....10 was ok.....but easy....10-2 SUCKED and 11.......meh wouldnt no.....hoping 12 has recovered for its previous losses
:p

Yggdrasill
01-05-2007, 04:26 PM
FF9..........it was the beginning of the end......it all went pear shaped from 9 on.....10 was ok.....but easy....10-2 SUCKED and 11.......meh wouldnt no.....hoping 12 has recovered for its previous losses
:p

This was much better than FFX, FFX was so linear the whole game basically only had 1 path to follow the whole-game.
I've just imported FFXII and it's ok but the battle-system needs a lot of work, it gets boring at times waiting to attack.

Phoenix Flame
01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Well I also felt IX wasn't that great...but I do need to play through it again :p

I thought the story to X, although linear, was amazing! Not many games have as cool a storyline IMO.

Luis
01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
I liked the game. I've enjoyed all the FF I've played (from FF7 on). I enjoy every different plot, and the fact of playing the role.
I've liked those I've played till now, and FF9 is one of them. :) (My favourite is FF7, but hey, it's a secret! XD )

jedi geoff
01-27-2007, 03:23 AM
for me, this is tied with FF6 as my FAVOURITE.
i dont like 8 as much since it didnt have much of a....soul i guess.
none of the characters in 8 were unique, just wateva GF was equipped to them. It had good music, but compared to 9 it was second place.

forever yours
04-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I loved Final fantasy 9, i only wished that they wouldn't have made the characters look as cartoony and childish as they did.

Drake
04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I think that is a big part of why FFIX is "underrated." I thought FFIX had THE BEST soundtrack ever!!

Da Chink
04-22-2007, 11:35 PM
FF9 is teh WinZ....what is the matter with ppl complaining about the storyline :-\
The storyline fit for the style of environment they were trying to give...i have no argument on how the game was laid out :P

Drake
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Same here. I could go on and on about how awesome this game is. But I'm too lazy to do so.

dappa
06-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I loved Final fantasy 9, i only wished that they wouldn't have made the characters look as cartoony and childish as they did.

funnily enough a few years back some of my mates said exactly the same thing about this being the reason why they never bothered playing the game.

I dont think they are cartoony or anything but the characters look younger.

This final fantasy was visiting its roots again so thats why the theme of the game is more medieval with kings/queens etc

Aulayna
12-09-2007, 09:09 AM
This was th first final fantasy I ever owned in my whole young life and I loved it very much. I had only played eight before but that was only up to the fire cave at my mums friends house. So It wasn't enough to appreciate it really at the time. Anyway I digress, Final Fantasy IX has always been in my top games ever That ive played. Personally I thought it was much better than seven, I just don't see what people like so much about that game. Althought I loved Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. Ahh I digress agian... Final Fantasy IX, had fantastic story, music (well all Final Fantasy music is awesome anyway), and the best Bahamut design! Above all else it had Choboco Hot and Cold!! I love that game so much!! It was also more fantasyish comapred to its two playstation predecessiors (spelling?) With mages, different races, lands of eternal rain, forces from another world, princesses and bandits, which I liked. I didn't mind that the characters were too youngish looking, I thought they looked fine. Thats what I think anyway.

Da Chink
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Final Fantasy is an extremely underrated game....it brought back elements from the older style final fantasy's with an upgrade in graphics.

and the characters are funny and the Emo character isn't the main character in this game O_o

Okay he was emo for like 30 minutes when he talked to Garland, but that hardly counts when you think about Squall or Cloud.

The Game was easy though...it's one of the better final fantasy's :)

clief101_
09-27-2009, 02:27 PM
this is my 2nd favourite FF. sorry to say, but since it became square-enix instead of squaresoft (the merging of companies) FF has gone downhill. they've concentrated too much on graphics (which are awsum!!) and not on the story or characters. FFX was ok, the storyline was good, but the characters were weak, XII was sooo bad, ive played through it once...NEVER AGAIN!!

i think 9 is an awsum game, a very good introducting to the FF universe, its not very complicated, very simplistic, very good for beginners in my opinion

Hayne
06-24-2013, 02:18 AM
I loved this game back in the day, I still do, but I can't stand to play it anymore. The story line is excellent, the gameplay is almost flawless in my opinion, but there's one absolutely terrible thing which puts me off from returning to it - THE BATTLE TIME! Battles are so incredibly slow, its not funny. Even on max speed, it takes 45 seconds to a minute to complete an easy battle.

Another thing that's sort of annoying is how the boss with the most hp only had like 65k or something quite low like that. After figuring out Ozma's counterattack trick, it was quite easy to beat him.

Lil Yosuke
09-14-2013, 05:30 AM
I Played and Beat FF9 As My First Final Fantasy. Still Although 9 Took My Heart With Its Storyline, I Cheated On It With FF8