PDA

View Full Version : Celes-Edgar-Setzer challenge(s)

Max the Man
09-04-2005, 11:27 PM
has anyone here ever beaten Final Fantasy VI with only Celes, Setzer and Edgar in your party? It's a fun challenge that my friend tried. (I haven't checked up on whether or not he did it though)

Zeromus_X
09-05-2005, 01:15 AM
i havent(and im not even gonna try ;) ) although there is an faq for that on gamefaqs.com...i always get sabin out of habit though...

ShadowHeart
09-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Why those 3 particular characters?

Zeromus_X
09-05-2005, 03:08 AM
theyre the 3 characters that are required for you to have to complete the journey. that is,you start out with celes, edgar helps you fix figaro castle, and setzer helps you find the airship falcon. after you get falcon, you can land on top of kefka's tower...you dont have to get anything else(characters, espers, etc.) in kefka's tower, you have to split up into 3 teams, but, if you dont do any other side quests after getting falcon, youll have just one person per team! (very difficult :p ) i mean, i suppose if they were at level 99....they might stand a chance...maybe...so anyway, i hope that explained why...sorry for the long post :D

Spiff
09-05-2005, 12:39 PM
That's a lot harder than it originally looked, so I'm going to try it now.

ShadowHeart
09-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, sounds pretty difficult.. good luck, Spiff :)

Phoenix Flame
11-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Any luck with this Spiff??? How far have you gotten?

slimcloud
02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
im not going to even attempt that!

Avathar
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM
I've tried that... but i couldn't get past Guardian. :D :o

! What i DID accomplish with those three was the Phoenix Cave (two groups: Terra alone, and Edgar and Setzer). :D I feel so proud of myself :p

Zeromus_X
04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Avathar...are you sure you don't mean Celes? You can't recruit any other characters in a proper CES Challenge, so I was just wondering.

I wanted to try this myself, but I erased the file on the Floating Continent. -L-;

Avathar
04-21-2006, 06:27 AM
xD I ment Celes, instead of Terra. :p

But Kefka Tower....with three people...if your level is at least 80. :/ xD

Zeromus_X
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, with proper equipment *cough* Illumina*cough* and using Echo Screen/Joker Doom, it can't be too incredibly difficult. And Esper Boosts. There have actually been low level CES challenges, so I guess nothing's impossible. :p

ThroneofDravaris
04-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately, you can't get uber Equipment/Magic like the Illumina, Paladin Shield and Ultima since without Locke, you can't get into the Weapon/Armour shops in Narshe...

You can still get the Offering and Atma Weapon though, so that's something.

Sephiroth v.2
06-13-2006, 03:30 AM
nope i try it next time

Avathar
08-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Okay, I had time on my hands, and now I trained these three characters to level 90, and 91. Theoretically you can already go to Kefka's Tower when you have these three characters (due to Celes' travel, and the new airship). Of course that's just theoretically speaking, 'cause you're most likely to weak to go into there right away. :p

But, after doing all the sidequests in the World of Ruin, and training the three first characters you get in this world, can it be done practically, besides theoretically: beating all monsters and bosses encountered in this final dungeon with only three characters. :O

I shall try it out, and wish me good luck, 'cause somehow I got a great feeling about this.

Comments, anyone? ^^

Spec Highwind
08-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Why are you commiting suicide? Life is cool, for me...

ok... just kidding... it isn't that hard! They are 3 good characters... I would be worse if you had Umaro, Gau and Gogo... Gogo is cool... but mimicing only Gau and Umaro... hum... not good :X

Avathar
08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I would be worse if you had Umaro, Gau and Gogo... Gogo is cool... but mimicing only Gau and Umaro... hum... not good :X

Nono, If i would choose those three, then Gogo doesn't have anyone to mimic, remember? Kefka's Tower: you gotta divide in three different groups, and there has to be one in each group.

Spec Highwind
08-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Nono, If i would choose those three, then Gogo doesn't have anyone to mimic, remember? Kefka's Tower: you gotta divide in three different groups, and there has to be one in each group.
OH! Sorry... forget that...

Well... that makes thing EVEN WORSE!!! You couldn't fight...

I have to try a Gogo-only party... what would happen? :P

Avathar
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
I have to try a Gogo-only party... what would happen? :P

Fight. Only "Mimic" (= Fight, then) and "Item". xd Not such a great idea, but when leveled enough, and equiped with either the Offering/Black Belt, Genji Glove/Black Belt or Dragoonboots/Dragon Horn = Still a pretty good fighter. ^^""

Zeromus_X
08-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Ah, good job Avathar! :) I've been wanting to do this for awhile. But then my friend started a new game and erased my save before Ultima Weapon. Yay. Oh well...:/

Of course, nothing compares to this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=87319) masochistic challenge...

Edit: And Avathar, you can already mop the floor with Kefka's Tower at those levels. :p

Spec Highwind
08-14-2006, 08:33 PM
my friend started a new game and erased my save before Ultima Weapon. Yay. Oh well...:/ :p
Didn't you want to say Atma?

Avathar
08-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Ah, good job Avathar! :) I've been wanting to do this for awhile. But then my friend started a new game and erased my save before Ultima Weapon. Yay. Oh well...:/

Edit: And Avathar, you can already mop the floor with Kefka's Tower at those levels. :p

^^Teehee, thanks for the support!

Of course, nothing compares to this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=87319) masochistic challenge...

Ehm, could you tell me what the challenge is. :/ I got banned from that site a long time ago.

Spec Highwind
08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
No Esper and low-level playing

Avathar
08-14-2006, 08:51 PM
:O

That's just very silly. :p

Zeromus_X
08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I thought you could still just browse the site but you couldn't log in? Banned members have made new accounts before...meh. But yes, 'low-level, natural magic' challenge. It's nik0tine's most insane challenge yet. I'm rooting for him. He's stuck on the Imperial Air Force now, the toughest part of the challenge.

Ultima Weapon is Atma's Japanese name. They couldn't fit 'Ultima' into the text box, so 'Atma' was the only other way to go. This means FFVI had the first Ultima Weapon (s).

Avathar
08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, let's see how far I've gotten:

By now Setzer, Edgar and Celes are all level 99. Practically invincible, but still, the only harsh encounters are: quick instant death spells. -_- And forgotten to cast Life3 in time.

Right now I've already saved at the save point that appears after beating Atma with Edgar (and oh boy, that was mighty easy =D ).
But right after I saved, I encountered one of those Retainer samurai enemies, and when you kill them, they do one last spell: TradeOff. -_- Which is that instant death spell. Meh. Just something for a new reminder. :p

For the rest, Celes was just in time for beating Scullions, 'cause they cast doom, and it was like, three times an attack of 10.000 damage, right in time before she was about to die. o.o''''
And Setzer just has to take in the irritating damage from the ninja foes. :p But so far so good, I guess.

Zeromus_X
08-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Equip anything and everything that increases your 'MBlock %'.

I assume you know how to power level spells and levels, in this game. :p

Avathar
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
The few level spells that I use are already 9999 damage worthy, so no worries there:

Update:

Continueing through Kefka's Tower, most bosses are really easy. The Dragons left to kill were done in a hurry. Oh, hurray, got Crusader, even though I'm not gonna use him. :p

Then coming to the big bossas:

Celes vs. Guardian: The fight took longer than expected, which made it feel challenging. ^-^

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/TrentCollignon/IMGP1299.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/TrentCollignon/IMGP1300.jpg

Setzer vs. Doom: Just going mad with Ultima.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/TrentCollignon/IMGP1301.jpg
(crappy pictures, but meh, I felt like taking them :P )
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/TrentCollignon/IMGP1302.jpg

Edgar vs. Goddess: Realized that some of the Tools do 9999 damage. ^-^

Now, Celes vs. Poltergeist: that s.o.b. casted Stop and then some sort of ball damage that does instant death. -_- :p meh.

But, it advances surprisingly well. I can't wait to (well, kick Poltergeist's ass) go further on to the 'tier tree', or whatever it was actually called. =)

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Make it a real challenge by doing a low level, CES challenge. ;)

But yeah, good job. :)

Avathar
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Make it a real challenge by doing a low level, CES challenge. ;)

But yeah, good job. :)

^^'

Alrighty, when I'll feel like playing FFVI again, after finishing this game,

which level would you suggest to start at for the low-level CES challenge? ^^

Spec Highwind
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Low-level CES challenge?

-_-

ok...

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Most people that do them try to finish the game with levels close to the characters' initial levels.

Good luck. :)

You NEED MBlock stuff if you want to try that.

Spec Highwind
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
hum... I will not ^_____^

if I tried there would be blood

much blood

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 08:29 PM
If any of you really want to try these (I like keeping my sanity, so I'll stay away thanks), here's some guides! (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/562865.html)

Avathar
08-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh my, I just noticed there's going to be something different to the ending if you actually do the CES challenge. =) Nice! ^^

o.o Well, let me see for the later challenge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Section #1- Rules & Advice of the Challenge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----
Rules
-----

1) I?ve stated this before but let me reiterate- You cannot get any
non-mandatory characters. This means that they cannot be selected in the
character select screen in the World of Ruin (WoR). Only Celes, Edgar, and
Setzer are permitted.

2) However, this does not mean that you can?t make CONTACT with others
characters. Just be sure that this contact does not bring him/her into the
party.

3) All of these rules apply only in the WoR. You can play however you like in
the World of Balance (WoB).

------
Advice
------

1) Attempt this challenge only once you have completed the game normally at
least once, not so much because of difficulty as of spoilers, which I won't
even try to avoid.

2) Take advantage of level up bonuses with espers, learn all the magic you
can, and get espers and better equipment as soon as possible. Obvious stuff
really; I just felt the urge to make note of it. >_>

3) Due to this challenge's easiness and all, I advise (as in, won't recognize
you as having completed the challenge unless you do this) you to avoid the
following:
a) Echo Screen -> Joker Doom
b) Vanish -> Break/Doom/X-Zone/etc. (minus specific exceptions I've marked,
for good reason)
c) Flame Shields on all -> Merton-spamming
d) 128 MBlock%
e) Over-leveling :P Lv.30-40 is fine. Lv.20ish for the extreme. ;)
f) Save-stating in-battle. I'm fine with save-stating and all, but 1) Doing
it in-battle is kinda cheap and 2) The former would be understandable if
this challenge were much, much harder, but it's not. You don't need to
save-state "in media res", so don't.
g) You don't have to do this one, but starting from the Floating Continent
isn't a bad idea. >_>

^___^;;;

Thanks for putting the link up, Zero, this shall aid me >.>

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh, there's a rule against MBlock maxing*. Huh.

Anyway, glad to help! :)

*Try 127% or below MBlock...heh...

Zeon
08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
ummmmm........ok i dont quite really know why but im gunna reply. gd job with the whole fight with 3 characters thing so far. ummm question tho..........wat about kefka??.....there are many different attacks tht the stupid thing before kefka do (magic,tools,hit etc those enemys) they can kill......shouldnt really be a problem coz im sure uve thought most this out already but still thought i should say summit......

Zeromus_X
08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
You can kill the Tools with Doom. Magic (the crucified chick I think) can be Silenced, so that just leaves the others. Use Golem or something. For Sleep, one person will die, because you don't have Life 3 (Calmness), so two people get to fight Kefka. You'll need some good equipment for that.

But really, they aren't that hard at obscene levels w/stat boosts anyway. :p

Zeon
08-24-2006, 06:23 AM
i hadnt thought of tht.....my bad. thnks for clearing tht up. i was thinking mainky though about if they do kill one of ur characters (which thinking about i cant really see happening) u wont have life 2 to fuly revive them. which would make it a little bit more challeging. i tried getting through the whole game so tht when a character was "killed" it would mean i wouldnt be able to use tht character again obviously it didnt work in the world of balance due to the splitting bit to get back to narshe, but from past there it was ok and i did it :) not tht hard just for fun :D:D:D

Avathar
08-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Well, I must inform, Zeromus: The only characters I did obtain in the World of Ruin were Celes, Setzer, Edgar, and Locke. -__- I just wanted four people, and, although after going to Narshe (and having Phoenix and Ultima :p I know..), I never used Locke again. So yeah, it's not the real challenge that I've done now, with the high-leveling I did in Dinosaur Forest and all. >.>

Well, to continue:

Poltergeist, now updating MBlock, was mighty easy, as well as the tiers and Kefka himself was no challenge at all.

:D

This time it was just to see if Kefka's Tower is really that easy if you're leveled to the max. And yes it is. ^^;;; I had fun, though!

The real challenge is still waiting for me >.>...

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Ha ha, well, good luck when you do that then. :p

Avathar
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
My last save before the World of Ruin isn't at Floating Island, ^_- it's right after the escape from Vector. :p Some more time to learn as much magic as I can.

Phoenix Flame
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Bravo. So which challenge is next? I've been thinking about starting over after FF XII...

Know I'm definitely playing VI again; however, I'm not sure I'm up for all the time that goes into a low-level challenge. I'd prefer something like CES - any suggestions Ava?

KefkaFF3
05-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Hey hey hey, JUST beat it using only Celes, Edgar, and Setzer. A lot easier than I thought it would be. Ended up beating Kefka in his final form in 2 moves. I took on this challenge because I'm on house arrest and well, it's the greatest game ever. My levels were low 70s and time I think was 28 hours? Anyone have any other challenges for the early FF games? I just beat V again but just normal. MUST kill time!

-Shaq :D

abyler
10-11-2011, 04:44 AM
after you get falcon, you can land on top of kefka's tower...you dont have to get anything else