PDA

View Full Version : Videgame violence

Lyde Lyde
08-24-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yREGBKZggwA
Discuss the topic I really don't want to get started on it.

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
First of all, nobody should take Jack Thompson seriously, or give him attention. He wants attention. Giving him attention gives him what he wants.

Secondly, well, games have ratings on them. If parents can't read the wonderful labels on games (and I don't know if the ratings are the same worldwide), then it's thier fault to blame. Like was said in the video, parents are responsible for knowing how their children spend their free-time. Personally, if I ever had a child, I wouldn't let them near any of these (some of the more violent) games until they were teenagers and could (hopefully) tell fantasy from reality.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

But...off-topic...

That guy always cracks me up. :p

Staircase
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Yea, jack thompson is always on tv, and he always gets owned (adam sessler in this interview)
I really do think its up to parents to decide what their kids can, and cannot play. Im only 15 and ive played every GTA. My mom lets me, she has no problems with it. BUT, if your kid has meybe done some things in his past hinting twords a nasty future.. handing them a violent game isnt a very great idea.

And to end this...

http://www.jinx.com/images/products/624bgWhite.jpg
Jack Thompson TOILET PAPER!!!
God bless jinx for yet another usefull product. XD

Hydra
08-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Funny guy. ^-^

And..well..If you have the maturity to know what your doing, play whatever the hell you want. If I had a child, which I will have one sometime in teh future, if I'm having second thoughts about his personality, I'll prevent him from playing M games, until he straightens up. Nothing worse than a learning teenager who knows nothing, and he lays 2 feet from a GTA game. =O

I'll play anything. Which is why I know all this FFX things. Not much to wrap my life around it, but enough to help someone. And I know right from wrong. (To my knowledge anyway. ^_^) It depends on the person. People get "ghetto rapish" because they wrap their head around it 24/7. They get RPG savvy and nerdish because they play Elder Scrolls IV for 90 hours straight without a bathroom break.

It's about how easily influenced you are. Games CAN make you do things, if you don't really know any better. So it's the responsibilty of the parent to make sure their kid knows right from wrong, and it's the job of the kid to determine what's right from wrong.

Durrrr...... o__O

Zeon
08-25-2006, 07:51 PM
when i go into my local game shop i pick out the game i want and regardless of rating i get it sold to me. no guardian, no id check, nothing!! thts the stupid parts about the whole gaming industry. (fine id hate it if i couldnt buy certain games but still thts not the point)tht guys ranting on about "oh its the parents faults".........well no.....actually......its the game shops who sell me these games knowing my age and the illegalness of it so its thier issue.

i have kittens...........2 of them....one 12weeks (smokie) the other 14 (misty) they rock they're sooooooooooo cute :D anywayz. they are curious like all cats. which brings me to my next point. if ur parents said to u dont go over there ill be right bck when u wer say 8 or 9 would u have looked? i no i would have. its human nature to wonder whats there? curiousity gets the better of us. another factor as to why children are influenced to violence in games. monket see monkey do :D simple (oh and just to add smokies the nice kitten and misty has sharp......very sharp......sharp as in cuts the legs up like a sword would....sharp.......so yer... :D)

Staircase
08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
when i go into my local game shop i pick out the game i want and regardless of rating i get it sold to me. no guardian, no id check, nothing!! thts the stupid parts about the whole gaming industry. (fine id hate it if i couldnt buy certain games but still thts not the point)tht guys ranting on about "oh its the parents faults".........well no.....actually......its the game shops who sell me these games knowing my age and the illegalness of it so its thier issue.

i have kittens...........2 of them....one 12weeks (smokie) the other 14 (misty) they rock they're sooooooooooo cute :D anywayz. they are curious like all cats. which brings me to my next point. if ur parents said to u dont go over there ill be right bck when u wer say 8 or 9 would u have looked? i no i would have. its human nature to wonder whats there? curiousity gets the better of us. another factor as to why children are influenced to violence in games. monket see monkey do :D simple (oh and just to add smokies the nice kitten and misty has sharp......very sharp......sharp as in cuts the legs up like a sword would....sharp.......so yer... :D)

Its really nice to see another side of this. Debating is much more fun than everybody agreeing. Where i live i cant buy a game without a guardian unless you have proof of age, but still, when i was younger, all my friends had GTA, and i never had one because my parents wouldnt let me get it. I Went over to my friends and played it, its as easy as that. So i can see where parents arent at fault, but i do think its there responsability, not the game manufactuers, to make sure children dont play it. My mom knew they had the game, and told me not to play it, but as Zeon said, i was curious. But my mom could have just as easily told my friends parents not to let me see or play it.

Zeon
08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
yay someone actually got what i meant by tht :D the last time i debated this on gametalk years ago no one had a clue lol

(opps my bad getting chatty on this post not good SORRY :( )

i had issues with the violent games anyway. the first violent game i played was the very origanal GTA. i was like 8 and one of my mums,mates boyfriends had the game and i put it on.......found some cheats on a piece of paper.......owned the game :D u know as every gamer does. but i didnt see the violence behind it tilll i got older and understood it, so i dont see where the arguement with the whole "violent games warping kids minds" gets its background. it says to immature to see tht its wrong. thts right but then as they get older and they see tht it is they no better :D i dont think i no anyone whoes been effected by violent games (other games like FF hehehe but not violent ones) can anyone think of anybody they know?

Yggdrasill
08-26-2006, 12:10 PM
The stupid thing is how the shops work, I bought Resident Evil 4 last year without them asking for an ID-check, but when I went to swap it for another game after-awhile they then decided to ask for my ID, I was thinking at the time "How come I could just wander in and buy it, but once I come to bring it back then ask for my ID?"
I also remember it being on the news awhile ago that someone who played 'Manhunt' killed his brother while copying a scene from the game, it's amazing and sickening how much effect games can have on the mind.

Staircase
08-26-2006, 12:14 PM
The stupid thing is how the shops work, I bought Resident Evil 4 last year without them asking for an ID-check, but when I went to swap it for another game after-awhile they then decided to ask for my ID, I was thinking at the time "How come I could just wander in and buy it, but once I come to bring it back then ask for my ID?"
I also remember it being on the news awhile ago that someone who played 'Manhunt' killed his brother while copying a scene from the game, it's amazing and sickening how much effect games can have on the mind.

Well see alot of it is the casheirs. Alot of teens or people who just generaly hate their jobs, never ask for an id, because they just dont give a damn. Ive bought M games befroe without an id, and at the same store have been asked for one.

Zeon
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
manhunt huh....? i never played tht.........thts just i cant even put it to words it just makes me shudder. the kinda thing to keep ya up all night in fear...........thts just wrong on so many lvls. how old wer they????? do remeber or.............?

Yggdrasill
08-26-2006, 12:19 PM
manhunt huh....? i never played tht.........thts just i cant even put it to words it just makes me shudder. the kinda thing to keep ya up all night in fear...........thts just wrong on so many lvls. how old wer they????? do remeber or.............?

They were both 12 years old and Manhunt is an 18. X_X
Manhunt is extremely violent though, even more so than GTA. I think it's also banned in alot of European stores now.

Lyde Lyde
08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
It shouldn't be blamed on the games fault more so on the person I think he wasn't influenced to kill the person because of the game, but the way that he did it and where was the proof, it said that he took a hammer and nailed a knife into the guy's heart it could've either been the game or he thought he was killing a vampire.
But I agree it's more the parent's responsibility if they can decide if their child is mature enough to handlwe M-rated games. You have to be at least 17 to purchase them but with AO you have to be 18. Why bother with a year difference and has there ever been an M-rated game, oh god I hope not!

Zeon
08-27-2006, 04:34 PM
i dont think ive ever heard of an M-rated game but never know theses days anythings possible really. might have to search tht up soon get bck to u on the topic. the reason they have it as 18 is becoz thts legal age for other adult things (im english so not sure how the rules are in america) here we are aloud to drink legally from the age of 18 and sex from the age of 16 (hence why some games have 16+ ratings and others 18+ :D) the resident evil games wer kinda childish in there poor acting. i mean the first one was the worst for it. thts why it was a 15 and not an 18 becoz of the childish behaivour by the actors voices in the game. made it humourous in a way.............besides the point but not.....sortof...

Luis
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Everything around a child/teen helps him to grow/evolve... a violent videogame makes people feeling more...indifferent...against everyday matters of violence...(also seen in TV and so on...).

Though it does not hurt the same way a more mature person than a less mature one... (I've been playing violent games since I was...12-13 (more or less)). Now, I think I am a paranoid psycopath whose main aim is to make a killing spree all over the world :rolleyes: lol... (Now, I know this joke may not be funny. I'd really love that LOVE ruled the world...)

However, it's soooooooooooooooo late now that I'm going to bed.
PS: My mind is at a 30% of lucidity... so, lemme charge my batteries. Probably, I'll support both opinions with pros and cons....tomorrow :D

Why bother with a year difference and has there ever been an M-rated game, oh god I hope not!

Believe me: maturity does not depend on age at all... I've met people in their early 20s being much more mature that people in their 40s. And law must decide a 'limit age' too, so you may consider 17 could be a good one, and otherwise, your neighbour may think 19 should be a better one... you know. Matters of opinions :D

Staircase
08-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Whats your rating systems? Because here M is extremly common. Almost any game with blood is an M in america.

Yggdrasill
08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
In Europe, T for Teen and M for Mature don't exist. =P
We only use the standard 11+, 15+ and 18 signs.

Staircase
08-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Here, games like Halo, Metal gear solid, resident evil, TONS of games are M. Probobly about 40% of games here are M.

Luis
08-28-2006, 01:59 PM
In Spain: +7, +13 and +18

It impressed me that when I was in England I saw many films and games that were rated according to violence, sex and something else I can't remember, and in films in which there's no sex (perhaps virginals kisses only) they gave 2 points of sex out of 5!!!

World's crazy...

Shaggy
08-29-2006, 02:58 AM
Here is what I have to say.

STOP BLAMING YOUR KIDS BEHAVIOR ON SOMEONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF! STOP THE BS AND START TAKING CARE OF IT YOURSELF!!!!

Thats all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump) ;)

Axel
11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
When you talk about video game violence, you are talking about a video game. A creation, that is a concept of somebody's subconscious, an idea if you will. If that creation is violent, an example being Condemed: Criminal Origins. It is just a game people, just because a game is violent doesn't mean the person who playing it is violent. It all depends on the person who is playing the game.

-Jhimian

dappa
11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
like the last person said it is all dependant on the person. I suppose some people are more predisposed to doing stuff they see in a video game than others.

You let an idiot play a violent game and he or she goes out and copies what they saw in the game, that is only because they are an idiot not because of what they saw in a game.

I have never felt the urge to go and copy something violent from a game.