PDA

View Full Version : What does Griever signify?

My hero Squall
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
All of you will remember when Squall saves Rinoa before they head into Galbadia Gardern? And they talk about his ring about Griever, what does Squall say it signifies? I know one of them is Courage...

Slider
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums, I'm Slider, one of the Die-hardest lovers of FF8,
Anyways Squall said that it's a lion because lions are known for their "Strength and Pride"
that's what he wishes for!

My hero Squall
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Thank you so much! I'm getting Griever as a tattoo on my arm and I wanted to know what it meant! You're a champion. I know I will have a good time on this forum as I am totally inlove with ff! Only just finished the perfect game of FF8! So proud!

Slider
10-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Aww! Don't make me blush :o
thank you and congratulations (in advance) on your tatoo! :)

My hero Squall
10-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks! It won't hurt a bit! And I've edited it a bit so it's unique, you knw, it's not the average Griever, it has sharper teeth and more, I'll post a pic as soon as I know how to and when I have it done lol! Have a good one!

dappa
10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I remember once when you scan griever on the last disk it says in the scan data that griever 'in squalls mind the powerfullest gf'.

My hero Squall
10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes, so it does. I was curious, in the FF8 game, the only time you see Griever is at the end of the 4th disc? When Ulticimea junctions herself to it?

John Smith
10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes.

You can see Slider's avatar in disc 2 during the Galbadia Garden <---> Balamb Garden invations, when you can change it's name. If you change it's name, in the 4th Disc, the GF isn't called "Griever", but the name you gave it during the invations :)

My hero Squall
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes, I remember that too, when Squall and Rinoa are talking with eachother. But I think you'd all agree that changing the names would defeat the purpose of the whole game! When I finally got the end of the game and had to fight Griever, it was pretty easy hence I had Squall on level 94, each character had their special weapon. I think the game I finished last week off ff8 is possibly the best I've ever seen. Oh and did you know that when your character dies during the Ulticimea battle they time warp and then another character takes their place! How cool! Squall is my favourite of all Final Fantasy characters!

John Smith
11-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah :D

That also happens in the last battle of FF7, so, I guess that it isn'tt the 1st time it happens :D

Squall's my favourite FF Character too :D

ultimecia
11-02-2006, 09:25 AM
i think that it also means courage

Squall Lionheart
11-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Griever is a lion...
Lions are known for their strength and pride...

Cloud101
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Also, they would give their life to protect those that they care for.

dappa
11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Heres another thought. When ultimecia said (quote) "so your the legendary seed thats destined to fight me" it could mean that she has been waiting for squall through all time, researching him and studying him. And realising that to squall that griever is the strongest gf in his mind, she decided to use griever in her wicked plan to destroy seed as she thought she would stand a better chance of defeating squall and co. Just a thought of mine though.

Squall Lionheart
11-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Not too wrong...she was defeated once while possesing Matron...

John Smith
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Heres another thought. When ultimecia said (quote) "so your the legendary seed thats destined to fight me" it could mean that she has been waiting for squall through all time, researching him and studying him. And realising that to squall that griever is the strongest gf in his mind, she decided to use griever in her wicked plan to destroy seed as she thought she would stand a better chance of defeating squall and co. Just a thought of mine though.

Nice thinking ;)

The only problem with that is that she might have underestimated Squall and his friends/comrads :D (This is to justify what Squall said up here :D)

My hero Squall
11-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah man; it was Squall,s destiny to defeat Ulticimea. Thats why he was always chosen as the leader.
Griever could mean courage aswell, the game only says Strength and Pride but lions can stand for a whole lot more. Squall, after all, had alot of courage.

ave
11-09-2006, 10:35 PM
i think maybe Strength loyalty :)

My hero Squall
11-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Definately loyalty. Maybe even how do I say, overprotective. I love how after Rinoa is made Sorceress he cant stop thinking about her.

Cloud101
11-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, and even when she tries to relinquish her powers of her own free will, he goes and rescues her.

My hero Squall
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Ahhh just thinking about it makes me crumble. Its so romantic. "No matter what, even if you become the worlds worst enemy, I'LL be your knight". *Sighs*

dappa
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Ahhh just thinking about it makes me crumble. Its so romantic. "No matter what, even if you become the worlds worst enemy, I'LL be your knight". *Sighs*

yeah I agree with you on that one. I loved that moment plus the music in the background complimented the moment.

John Smith
11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that was be most beautiful scene in the whole game :) ='D

My hero Squall
11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
I think its also rad how Squall realises that he now shares the same dream as Seifer. And in the end how he also realises that he is no more alone and starts desparately trying to find Rinoa. *sighs*

theDOCTOR
12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
soo....this brings up the question....how did Ultemicia get Griever?
My dumb theory...
"Rinoa is a sorceress, and she and Squall most likely get married, so....maybe...Ultemicia is there child from the future, and she inherited Griever frm Squall."

and yeah....thats it....tell what you think.

John Smith
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
How many years in the future again? :rolleyes:

theDOCTOR
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
umm....maybe 30 to 40 years in the future....maybe...

John Smith
12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Rinoa and Squall would still be alive. Unless *gulp*, Ultimecia killed them *gulp gulp gobble*

theDOCTOR
12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
O_O
most likely, cuz they could've been the only ones who could've killed her!
and everything does seem to revolve around Squall and Rinoa!!!

O_O!

dappa
12-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Wasn't ultimecia born many many years into the future? I dont remember the game mentioning how far into the future she was born

Squall Lionheart
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
The far future to be precise...

It's strange how far people will go to make up what they want...

Ultimecia had Griever probably after getting to know the SeeD that once stepped up against her and defeated her another time...

theDOCTOR
12-05-2006, 01:57 AM
damn, there goes my "Squall and Rinoa got married and had sorceress baby who had problems while growing up, so decided to kill everyone, in all times."

(gets mad)....(mumbles)...i want hotdogs!

My hero Squall
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
You have your hotdogs man but remember wasnt it Edea that inherited Ulticimea's powers? So Ulticimea was alive long before Squall and Rinoa.

It was a good theory though, but there are plenty of questions that perhaps cannot be answered in FF8...

Squall Lionheart
12-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I already said Ultimecia is from the future...

Ultimecia went back to the past to pass her powers to Matron so that she can die in peace...that's when she became a sorceress herself to protect everyone in the orphanage from becoming one...and got the idea about building Garden and SeeD!

theDOCTOR
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
dude, now it seems like a huge freakin circle.....that never ends....trough time

John Smith
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
and got the idea about building Garden and SeeD!

Because of what Squall said/is going to say/whatever to her about those :p

theDOCTOR
12-05-2006, 06:57 PM
but ultemicia must be somehow related to Rinoa or Edea....or maybe....WARD!!!
OR KIROS!!!

John Smith
12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Ward can't talk. And those two are older than Squall and Rinoa together >.>

theDOCTOR
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
yeah, so....ok fine....you win.
im done.
but anyway, griever does signify power!

My hero Squall
02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, seems ages since I last played FFVIII, only last year I finished the game, I love the Lionheart attack that Squall does. Man even today I'm still obsessed with that Lionheart!

Slider
02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
HEEEEEEEY! You came!!!!

Meet the welcome back comitee
;wel ;res ;pat ;roc ;wec ;beer <<<<<Hydra's here too!

I haven't met anyone who hates the lionheart!
& m playin the game whenever i get the time

My hero Squall
02-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey, thanks for the welcome! That's so sweet! Cant believe you remembered me, I feel so special, I remember you! If it werent for you I probably wouldn't have returned! ;-) But I"m back now!

Slider
02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o
That's awesome! I haven't been here for months too!
I'm sure that everyone else will be glad to see you again
They were when they.........well nevermind :D !
Anyways lately I've been getting this strong obcsession that I needed to play it again and i am!

My hero Squall
02-15-2007, 10:24 PM
They were when they.........well nevermind

When they what? I'm curious now....

dappa
02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
This whole socreress business is a never ending spiral.

Even one of the characters, I cant remember which one says that even though ultimecia has been defeated it doesn't change the fact that one day in the future she will be born

Slider
02-19-2007, 12:09 AM
dr odine?(jus a guess) but won't the time loop close after she's killed
like she'll stop existing since she was killed in another time than her original one?
Odine was probably wrong

Doctor
02-19-2007, 05:41 AM
I personally thought that Griever didn't mean anything, until I saw that Ultamecia's GF was named "Griever."

Ultamecia probably wasn't related to anybody, besides the fact that she once possesed Matron and Rinoa...but she was just using them. That has nothing to do with Griever...

Or maybe it does...she may have some connection to Squall. Perhaps Squall and Rinoa DID get married, had Ultamecia, and then the sorceress really did grow up weird and decided to destroy everyone, to have all of time to herself....that wasn't a bad theory you came up with, DOCTOR :D I agree with you. I think it makes perfect sense.

Slider
02-19-2007, 07:39 AM
!!!!!!!
I don't think she'd need to go back in time if she was squall and rinoa's daughter lolz! (especially with her age)
Personnaly i thought there was somethin about griever since the beginning (the keychain in the intro, the symbol on the gunblade handle and on its case in the room) i was really excited when i had to name the ring (during the Gardens' fight)and expected it to play a major role starting of now but then i forgot all about it till i SAW Griever and was like
AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW MAN!Why now?

Catalyst
02-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey welcome back!

You had said you were going to post pictures - you have any? :)

jedi geoff
02-20-2007, 02:46 AM
well funny story...

my friend got FF8 first and a couple of times when i went over his place he was playing it...
once i went over when he was naming greiver, and i told him to name it geoff, and he did :D
well a week later i think i came over again he was fighting ultemecia and she had a gf named...OMG GEOFF and i thought: i share a name with the strongest gf ever!!!!!

i believed this until i later got the game myself and kept grievers name griever, and sadly discovered at the end of the game i was not the strongest gf in the world.....

Slider
02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey welcome back!

You had said you were going to post pictures - you have any? :)

Gee-tnx :D ! i posted some pics in the picture thread about yesterday but they've been overshadowed by conversations so jus go back a page or 2 (before its too late ;whis )

well funny story...

my firned got FF8 first and a couple of times when i went over his place he was playing it...
once i went over when he was naming greiver, and i told him to name it geoff, and he did
well a week later i think i came over again he was fighting ultemecia and she had a gf named...OMG GEOFF and i thought: i share a name with the strongest gf ever!!!!!

i believed this until i later got the game myself and kept grievers name griever, and sadly discovered at the end of the game i was not the strongest gf in the world.....

;lol
had a similiar incident with my friends!!!
#"any of you guys has beaten griver yet?"
me "nope, but i DID finish the game before you guys ;ble "
# "ah so you fought him"
me "haven't even seen him, is he strong?"
#"Dude, you must kill him to win the game"
me"i have no idea what you're talkin bout!hey any of you guys killed SILVER?"
everyone else"????!!!"
*big fight starts over griever's name ;cen*

Catalyst
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Slider: "My hero squall" mentioned he/she got a tattoo.

And I couldn't find the pictures :(

My hero Squall
02-23-2007, 05:25 AM
I havent got the tattoo yet due to lack of $$$ but now I Have a job and this is definately going to be the first thing I do! Although I still can't decide what part of my body its going to be on lol! I was thinking my arm on the inside of my elbow if you know what I mean!? But if you know Griever very well you'll see where I have edited this image and how it is unique, and if anyone copies it, well I've to hunt you down lol! http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r37/claudiahal/griever3.jpg

Those stories were pretty funny before about Griever, especially the one where you finished FFVIII and you had renamed him Silver and didnt realise it was actually Griever you were fighting, thats a classic man! I was like in a trance in that final battle, I just loved it but I did find the ending pretty disappointing, I wanted more on Squall and Rinoa and I nearly cried when I saw Laguna and Raine did get married! Thats such a perfect ending!
Soz about the long post! hehe

Slider
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Awesome pic! Mind if I use it as my new avatar :p ?

I would've had that tatoo on either of my arms but VERY unfortunately I can't (and I can't discuss it either) but you go for it and I'm cheerin for ya all the way ;)

Heh! I remember the first time I saw the ending trailer my playstation's electricity cablefell out during the casting and I didn't get to know that squall was still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't remember if i nearly cried or actually cried that day?

Luckily by inspiration, I just couldn't believe it yet that this was really what happened. So I fought Ultimecia one more time and saw the complete ending........and imagine how I felt!
When i first saw squall i was the happiest FF8 player in the world! (maybe i still am)

O'yea! jus one more thing!

What you hear in Ffnet stays in Ffnet or I'll hunt you down as well! ;clu

ffdarkside
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
hey what up all

no but Ultamecia being connet to Squall and Rinoa it hav to be right or u just need to chage some thing in first Ultamecia GF come for the ring it a dormot GF right now Ultamecia got it for her dad or by killing Squall kid or grand kid becuase it not in Squall time becuase in dic 3 Eeda said that Ultamecia was many Generation ahead of them so she cant be their kid by she can be a grandkid or she killed Rinoa kid, her grandkid, or some one that killed her kid or grand kid becuase Rinoa is the only socrise in her time so she is connet to Ultamecia and she got her GF from Squell ring so they are all connet and Ultamecia went bad becuase she had no knight Eeda said it her self socrise with no knight became bad so u can pick what happen from that nice meet u guys

blackstar
03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I havent got the tattoo yet due to lack of $$$ but now I Have a job and this is definately going to be the first thing I do! Although I still can't decide what part of my body its going to be on lol! I was thinking my arm on the inside of my elbow if you know what I mean!?

My suggestion would be either on the top center of the chest like where the necklless would hang down in the center of your upper back or on the back of your forarm farther down than the wrist but thats just me take it for what its worth.

Slider
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
hey what up all

no but Ultamecia being connet to Squall and Rinoa it hav to be right or u just need to chage some thing in first Ultamecia GF come for the ring it a dormot GF right now Ultamecia got it for her dad or by killing Squall kid or grand kid becuase it not in Squall time becuase in dic 3 Eeda said that Ultamecia was many Generation ahead of them so she cant be their kid by she can be a grandkid or she killed Rinoa kid, her grandkid, or some one that killed her kid or grand kid becuase Rinoa is the only socrise in her time so she is connet to Ultamecia and she got her GF from Squell ring so they are all connet and Ultamecia went bad becuase she had no knight Eeda said it her self socrise with no knight became bad so u can pick what happen from that nice meet u guys

DUDE :p
That's the most desperate attempt to link stuff together

DUDE!!! :D

ffdarkside
03-09-2007, 07:12 PM
why u say that becuase im new

ultimecia
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
you cant even spell ultimecia lol learn it lol it my name!! welcome to the forum!

Phoenix Flame
03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Come now...play nice with the nOOb. ;) Welcome to teh forumz... And stay on topic please.

Slider
03-10-2007, 10:35 AM
why u say that becuase im new

NOT AT ALL!
It's just that it's the first time I hear this "oppinion" but I would accept it if you can proove it thought ;)
But i don think ultimecia's the grand daughter of any known FF character, it wouldn't even make sense!

ultimecia
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
lol sorry for not staying on topic but reasonimalive i dont know if its coincedence (DONT KNOW IF ITS SPELT CORRECT) lol but you seem to respond to all my replies??

My hero Squall
03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
WooHoo this Thread has the most posts! *sniffs* I'm so proud!

ffdarkside
03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
NOT AT ALL!
It's just that it's the first time I hear this "oppinion" but I would accept it if you can proove it thought ;)
But i don think ultimecia's the grand daughter of any known FF character, it wouldn't even make sense!

I'm sry i had a bad day when i said that

jedi geoff
03-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Come now...play nice with the nOOb. ;)

AHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH AHHAHAH
;hap ;hap ;hap ;hap

My hero Squall
03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
HHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHA, lol don't even know what I"m laughing at! haha I But I think it was funny!

Deanima
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Griever is so powerful.I die almost one Shockwave Pulsar.But I beat ff8 because i have 98 Heros(I use Laguna card on the Card Mod)

dappa
06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
When I first played this game, one shockwave pulsar from Griever totally wasted my party but that was because I hadn't grasped the full potential of the junction system.

I only truly grasped how to create super human characters the second time I played this great game and griever didn't stand a chance against renzokuken and lionheart