PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms

Arkacia
05-22-2005, 09:34 PM
As it seems most of the members here are teens, I thought I'd ask you opinions on school uniforms.

In Australia most schools require them and students can be sent home or punished by detentions etc for not wearing uniforms. I wore them over 20 years ago in high school and the requirement never worried me but these days it seems schools are really going overboard with them. I have seen recent reports of kids sent home for having facial piercings, "unacceptable" hairstyles (in the case of one boy, because his hair was shoulder length), and skirts too short.

Squall85
05-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I think the whole uniform thing is stupid. I don't believe in uniforms, i didn't have uniforms in high school but they didn't allow boys to wear shorts, which was the dumbest thing ever

Arkacia
05-22-2005, 11:54 PM
The boys had shorts as part of the uniform at the high school I used to go to but none ever wore them. According to my brothers only complete "nerds" would wear them and if any boy wore them they'd risk being beaten up :D.

Funny how ideas are different from country to country :).

LoKuS
05-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Around here Catholic schools use uniforms but public schools dont, however once in a while you'll find a public school with them.

Shaggy
05-23-2005, 01:43 AM
I never went to a school that required them, but if they did, I probably would have hated them!

Zerlina
05-23-2005, 01:52 AM
I wear a uniform. They assume every girl is shaped like a rectangle, so basically if you're not flat-chested you're swimming in all your shirts. Then they make the kilts SO long you look like you can't walk properly. And then of course, the shirts are see-through, and they won't let you wear anything under them (everyone does anyways). Oh, and the buttons are so crappily made that they open all the time.

PS: they're made by children in asia who are strapped to poles and are not allowed to take breaks.

ShadowHeart
05-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Sweden doesn't believe in school uniforms. Never had to wear a school uniform, and I don't remember hearing of anyone that did. I think it's stupid :)

Wezzy
05-23-2005, 07:29 AM
wow i wanna live in sweden:D The UK are barmy about them...all the super old-fashioned people want the younger ones to look smart in blazers and stuff. We are not allowed to wear hoodys (shirts with a hood in case u werent sure) because of chavs (people who wear them to look intimidating) i think it's wrong myself it's the most stupid thing i've ever seen. Why can't the old-fashioned people accept that times change?

Spiff
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
School uniforms are a great idea and should be used everywhere. Since you don't have to think about what to wear, you can focus more time on homework, studying, and other activities in school. It's like a suit at the office.

I went to a private school with uniforms and believe me they are better than you think. :)

ShadowHeart
05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Lol, I never thought about what to wear in school anyway. I always just grabbed whatever was at the top of my drawers :) Not quite the same anymore, now I do care about what I wear, but I don't spend more than 10 seconds deciding :p

alfaitha
05-23-2005, 08:00 PM
The city of Philadelphia, where I went to school declared in 2000 that everyone from elementary to middle school had to wear unifirms, thank god I graduated middle school in 2000. I just dont really see the benefit from uniforms, by High School, you should be mature enough that what you should wear doesnt affect your academics. but I think that soon the High Schools in Philly will aslo be required to wear uniforms (sucks for my brother and sister)

Spiff
06-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I just dont really see the benefit from uniforms, by High School, you should be mature enough that what you should wear doesnt affect your academics.

There's something that goes together: High School and maturity. :rolleyes:

I agree with you, but that's a perfect world. People are stupid and don't want/think enough to be academically sound.

Zerlina
06-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't see how what you're wearing affects your academics.

And would it hurt them to make uniforms at least a little flattering? They're all huge (I'm practically swimming in all my clothes) and their sweaters go down to your knees. I think we look more like slobs in clothes that are too big for us and are completely unbecoming colours, than if we were to get uniforms which fit us properly (ie: not too tight like what some people want, but not potato sacks either).

Totorosama
09-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Uniforms are completely defective. I had them (only for PE, thankfully) and as the sizes got bigger, it only got wider, never longer. I always had them too short. THat stank! I think you should just wear whatever you want, as long as it follows dress code. At my school, the no uniform system works fine. Only stupid people break the code. Or those who have no clothes left...

Luis
09-27-2005, 06:59 PM
There's something that goes together: High School and maturity. .
Spiff, are you serious or my headache does not allow me to see the irony in it?

I've never used uniform. I know people who used them I think the uniforms are used in order to keep the environment of study. You know, perhaps fashion hair cuts, cool clothes and other things might disturb the environment of study(did you see the chapter of The Simpsons in which school boys are forced to wear uniforms due to the 'revolution' caused by Bart's T-shirt?)
But I think it should not be compulsory. Somehow it's against the freedom for expression, isn't it?

Xartex
09-27-2005, 07:21 PM
I just say, thank god i don't live in a country where you have to wear school uniforms, i just wan't to wear whatever i want to wear, why should someone else decide what i should wear

Zeromus_X
09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
im pretty nuetral with uniforms, i always wear a button up shirt and jeans every day anyway :p i had to wear them in 6th grade and 8th grade...dont remember for 7th grade...did i? :confused: but i did wear them in p.e. for 7th grade. out school mascot was the roadrunner :D

Totorosama
10-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Yeah, it's a restriction on freedoms, and the cost of them falls on us, with the prices being kind of ridiculuous sometimes.

Spiff
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I always bought mine used so they weren't that expensive ($4 a pair of pants and $4 a shirt). Designer clothes are too expensive for my taste.

Avathar
12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
talking about freedom of speech, i think my situation was most bizarre of all:

i've done 4 years of... i'm not sure how to call it, but literally translated it was 2 years of "Architectural Imaging Art" and 2 years of "Free Imaging Art". An art-grade.
A school were you can follow art-classes..... but with uniform.

Art--------------------------Uniform

:confused: :mad: Makes no sense at all!!!

But me and my class evolved each year so you can adapt the rules of uniform.: First it was all blue and white clothes and a green shirt. Then it was blue and white, and a green shirt. Then it was blue, black, white, and a white shirt....... and in the end when i did my last year... all dark colors :p

Yes, we had influence on the classmeetings!

Spiff
12-07-2005, 07:33 PM
If I read that right, your class got to choose the uniforms that you wore. That's not really that odd since it would bring up interesting conversations about your point of view on the uniforms and create mingling between the students.

Totorosama
12-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Evolving uniforms...maybe it's just 'cause I went to public schools. Also, I notice Spiff is in the spirit by changing his avatar...........................once again. How many times is that?

Spiff
12-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I lost count. :)

I think people tend to like what they are used to, I grew up in private school with uniforms and to this day I prefer a suit and tie compared to jeans and a shirt. (at work :) )

Avathar
12-08-2005, 05:43 AM
it's called democracy for something: so yes, we can choose our uniform. The students have something to say, it's not that we listen to everything and just let them do it.

Squall Lionheart
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
As junior classmen.....we were never forced to wear uniforms untill the age of (7-8).....
then it was uniforms all the way till graduation....to me it represents discpline....

Tiny Bronco
01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Schools are going way overboard with Uniforms these days. People can wair there hair however they DAMN WELL PLEASE. If some kids getting distracted by it kick him in the ASS until he stops looking at the hair and does his work. A kid shouldn't have to change their hair just because another kid has know will power.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm fine with normal uniforms. :)

Squall Lionheart
01-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I think we had an ''unspoken of'' hair code...but It was easy going....thought too negligent people were disciplined....

Squall Leonhart
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Some school uniforms look good like the SeeD uniforms :cool: :cool: ;) :cool: :cool:

Tiny Bronco
01-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Why is the D capitalized in "SeeD"? Does it stand for anything? :confused:

Squall Lionheart
01-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I will look into that and get back at oyu....

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 02:25 AM
...generaly, See-D is a special unit hired for important military mission, usually their prime goal is to defeat evil Sorceress's...

Tiny Bronco
01-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Okay that clears up what SeeD is but what does the D mean????? :confused:

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 08:00 PM
....strange to see you that curious to know....
GIVE ME SOME TIME BEFORE ASKING AGAIN.....

berserker
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
feel sad for people that wear school uniforms.......

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 08:52 PM
It helps form your personality & discipline....

Max the Man
01-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't have to wear school uniforms. (lucky me...)

Tiny Bronco
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't have to wear them either!!!

Arkacia
01-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Ok, this is not an FF thread, its a real life one, so can we all please stay on topic.

Also, too much spam. Posts in the threads in this forum must have at least 20 words, or they will be deleted. All these very short chit chat posts add nothing to the thread. If your post is missing, it's because I've just deleted it.

Squall Lionheart
01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm....sorry

Arkacia
01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
No worries.

I don't have anything against enthusiasim, but the short posts are a no no :).

A simple rule of thumb is before you click submit, look at the post (where-ever it is) and think "is reading this worth someone else's time". If the answer is yes, submit, if it's no, rethink the post ;).

Tiny Bronco
01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Well luckily I don't have to wear school uniforms. A couple of parents whos kids were getting "picked" on wanted to change that but thankfully they didn't suceed. What I ment by getting picked on is that a bunch of overly sensitive kids were complaining because kids asked them to pick up a pencil that landed next to there foot. Anywho I think school uniforms are fine just so long as they don't go overboard. Something like were non-graphic shirts with cargo pants. If everyone wore that It wouldn't be so bad. General guidlines is what I'm shooting for.

slimcloud
02-05-2006, 11:36 PM
every school in manchester used the uniform policy ,because children truant alot the parents sent them out wiv uniforms on so it is harder but not impossible to do so.

Tiny Bronco
02-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Sucky life that must be.

Squall Lionheart
02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Not necessarily..... you only might think so since you never tried it, maybe then your oppinion might change thought.....

Spirit
06-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I never wore school uniform in my entire life (lucky me), Too bad for my brothers and sister though.

Squall Lionheart
06-25-2006, 05:08 PM
It's not a bad thing...eventually when you get a job you might be required a more disappointing uniform...so it's probably better to get used to it...

darkshadow2247
06-25-2006, 06:26 PM
It helps form your personality & discipline....
i call BS on that. could you explain that to me? i can see if you said clothes can possibly express a personality or their discipline for a given situation, but it certainly doesn't teach it

Squall Lionheart
06-25-2006, 07:23 PM

I never said that...

Kat
06-25-2006, 07:24 PM
:eek: school uniforms ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
i dont think people should be forced to were a school uniform if they dont wanna style is part of every onen's personality people should ware wat they want wen the want :cool:

Staircase
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow, Im so glad i live in New York. If anybody even thought about assigning uniforms there would be a massive revolt. People in my school are crazy lol.

richboywonder
06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
I hate school uniforms.

richboywonder
06-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Girls look hot in uniform.

ultimecia
07-14-2006, 09:05 AM
i think they should get rid of school uniforms all together because in summer its too hot and in winter its too cold so you should be able to wear whatever you want in reason.

ultimecia
07-14-2006, 09:06 AM
very true

Kat
07-14-2006, 05:59 PM
ooooo you double posteded :p

Seyluv
07-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I hate uniforms, we have to start once again wearing them in my school. At first the they said it would be a good idea if everyone dress in their owned clothes. But ever since this new woman came to our school we have to start wearing them again. I hate uniforms! They suck! I can't stand ever wearing them. Plus at my school uniforms won't do anything.

Kat
07-15-2006, 02:47 AM
can ya decorate them the way you want to?

Seyluv
07-15-2006, 05:02 AM
No, just boring baby blue tops and dark blue pants.

Kat
07-15-2006, 10:12 AM
jeeze thats gotta suck....
at least they're not skirts,unless you like waring skirts but i sure dont

richboywonder
07-15-2006, 07:41 PM
they tell me to wear uniforms but if you don't wear them they don't do nothing to you.

Zeromus_X
07-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't really understand why school uniforms are that big of a deal. When you get into high school and college you'll be able to (most likely) wear whatever you want anyway.

At any rate, this thread is pretty ancient, and I haven't exactly seen any intelligent discussion on this entire page, so...

*closed*