PDA

View Full Version : Graphics VS Gameplay

Squall85
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Here's the question, what do you think is more important in a game? Graphics or gameplay. We got new systems coming out, they're talking about all the specs and all and i dunno what they mean, but what about the games and their gameplay is what i think really counts

Spiff
05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I have to go with gameplay; graphics are nice but if the game isn't any good the graphics won't help a second time.

FFnut
05-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Ah, the age-old argument. Would you rather play a game with two-bit graphics but great storyline and character development, or a game with graphics that seem real, dynamic cutscenes, and cutting-edge visual effects but the entire point of the game is to carry a potato up a flight of stairs?

Gameplay please.

Wezzy
05-25-2005, 05:30 PM
i vote gameplay. I am a fan of ff7. i have to say i like their little block hands :)

ShadowHeart
05-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Gameplay, definitely :)

LoKuS
05-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I see this thread was made from our arguement yesterday. lol. gameplay all the way, have this kids buying the new consoles dont even know wut the specs mean, they see a big number and think its cool.

Shaggy
05-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Well I love Graphics, but you are right, why would you play the game again if the gameplay sucks. So its gameplay for me too!

Squall85
05-25-2005, 11:24 PM
I wonder how far they can go w/ the graphics, what sort of graphics would ps5 have :eek: They should just take their time making games and not rush the performance of the sysem so much

ShadowHeart
05-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Ask yourself if a new console would sell well if it couldn't compete in graphics and computing power with other consoles and systems (like computers) on the market. You know the answer to that. And who in their right mind would make something they know they will lose money on by making? That'd be financial suicide.

Spiff
05-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I wonder how far they can go w/ the graphics, what sort of graphics would ps5 have :eek:

An acid trip; 'just take the pill and you become part of the game' next thing you know you're in a room of strangers all muttering something about final fantasy. :eek:

alfaitha
05-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Of course gameplay is what matters. Something that 989 Sports (TM) did not think about when they made NFL Gameday 1999 (I think, or maybe 1998). In this game, they did a great job of putting together the most important element of football... That's right, the referees, whom looked and animated spectactularly, but the focus on improving the actual gameplay was not so much, and it was basically just a reproduction of last year's NFL Gameday, but with prettier referees. The result: Another frustrating year of being outsold by Madden NFL, which had sucky referees.
However, they usually go hand in hand. Chrono Trigger, FFVIII through FFXwhatever were some good games which had some hot graphics that were the best of their time. However, generally, with upgraded systems that boast slicker graphics, comes along improved gameplay capability, so you have to consider that. Sometimes, it's weird and depends on personal preference. I'm lpaying FFVII, and FFT like, everyday, but I can't stand Grand Theft Auto, because it's graphics piss me off. instead, I play Driv3r (Driver 3), a game with better graphics but less starling gameplay. At the same time, I love Jet Grind Radio on Dreamcast, but when they released it's sequel, Jet Set radio Future on Xbox, they took away some of the gameplay elements that made the first one attractive for me, and so I can't stand to play it cus it's not the same... But it's graphics are beautiful.

Arkacia
05-30-2005, 06:00 AM
I like a nice mix of both. Gameplay is important as it keeps you interested in the game and wanting to keep on playing just to see what will happen next, but if the game is nice looking at the same time then that does its part to improve the whole experience.

Bad graphics turn me off a game because nothing is more boring than moving an ugly blob around an ugly landscape etc. Boring gameplay is just plain boring, no matter how pretty the graphics are. A nice mix of graphics and gameplay make the best games.

ShadowHeart
05-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Of course, but if you had to choose one of them, then it's gameplay :)

Gumdrop
06-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Good grapics are nice and all, but gameplay is way more important.

johnnylumpkin
11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Gameplay all the way.(Hey I ryhmed.YAY!!!!!!!!!)

Phoenix Flame
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
There's no one element which goes into making a game great. You have to have a balance of solid gameplay with decent graphics (for the time period) in order to be even considered in the polls.
Graphics/gameplay = a pretty, but boring game
gameplay/graphics = interesting, fun to play game, but really has no replay value
bad gameplay and graphics = a pretty boring game :)

LoKuS
11-29-2005, 02:56 AM
This can be argued forever.

johnnylumpkin
11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
yes it can

Phoenix Flame
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Where's that evil genie thread... :)

Spiff
12-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Time for my final thought: Graphics can be re-made, but what makes a good game great is the gameplay; just look at FFVII.

Avathar
12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
There are actually a couple of things what makes a FF a good FF

like this:

1.Music
2.Graphics
3.Story
4.Random Gameplay
5.Secrets and Sidequests
6.Characters
7.World in time and place
8.Battle Gameplay
9.Challenge

... that's about it, i guess :cool:

neokiller
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
without a good gameplay a game is nil

darkmajinvegeta
03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
gameplay!!!!! (lol for grapichs)

Spirit
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
gggggameplay, I don't care for graphics much

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Gameplay is a must for me, I'm generally not picky about graphics at all. I do have other things I weigh more heavily when judging a game, and gameplay is one of 'em. (With replay value, atmosphere, and soundtrack.)

Avathar
07-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Hm...how to put this.....ah:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

- Gameboy graphics

- Gameplay: 10/10

- Gameboy graphics? How odd, they don't bother me at all.

- Why?

- Gameplay: 10/10

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
That game had too many funky glitches to possibly hate. xD

*Link steps though a wall and falls forever*

But yeah, I understand what you mean Avathar. And I also judge graphics from the time frame of the game. Like you said: "FFVI has great 2D graphics, and FFVII has bad 3D graphics" or something like that.

Hydra
07-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Mario, Street Fighter, and alot of old side scrollers are the best games in the world. Does that answer your question? :D

Graphics are fancy. It can look good, but if it's not fun, it won't last more than a half hour. Crappy graphics and fun gameplay will keep you occupied for hours and hours. So...

Gameplay>Graphics.

Avathar
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Now gameplay versus storyline...now then it's not automatically always this case: storyline > gameplay ;)

darkshadow2247
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
FTW! Goldeneye: 007. sorry graphics, still a gaming classic. 'nuff said

storyline>gameplay? ha! yes, a good story line is very important. but if the focus is put on the story line and leaves the player crap to do, what's the point of playing. you may as well make it a movie. games should focus on gameplay (hence why it's called a game) but include a great storyline. like FFX...it has the perfect amount of storyline mixed with a great amount of gameplay. and then there's MGS...the story line is alright, but no one plays MGS for the story; everyone likes the stealth and shooting elements

Zeromus_X
07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
yes, a good story line is very important. but if the focus is put on the story line and leaves the player crap to do

*cough*Xenosaga*cough* :)

Avathar
07-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Exactly, so it'ld be almost 50/50. :rolleyes:

Heh...actually reminds me:

When i saw Advent Children, i was seriously thinking it'ld be better as a videogame.

darkshadow2247
07-06-2006, 08:08 PM
*cough*Xenosaga*cough* :)
i have yet to come across a worse RPG than that one

Hydra
07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
lol, I liked Xenosaga. It's just Xenosaga II made my love go stale. o_o

Oh, and go play FF Legends 3. It has AWESOME gameplay for a Gameboy game, but the story...

darkshadow2247
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
in the first xenosage, i've made it to the warehouse at the very beginning and couldnt bare to play it anymore

Zeromus_X
07-07-2006, 02:45 PM
With all the cutscenes in that game, I still don't know how it's possible to complete it in 6 hours. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kRDU99NVz1U)

darkshadow2247
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
can't you skip the cut scenes?

Hydra
07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Last I checked. Albedo is the coolest crap villian I've seen in a while. :D

richboywonder
07-16-2006, 02:25 PM
gameplay iss better than graphics

Hydra
07-16-2006, 11:30 PM
gameplay iss better than graphics
That's about as basic as it gets. :D

Axel
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Come on, when you think about how long video games have been around, the gamemakers have really made progress, but it seems they are trading excellent gameplay for cheap graphics. Don't get me wrong the cut scenes are a nice touch, but it was the gameplay and the plot lines that got me interested in a career in gamemaking.

Gumdrop
10-07-2006, 09:37 AM
I think most people who go on RPG (if not all) will vote gameplay over graphics. Although I get the feeling most people are into FFXIII becuase of the graphics - even before we knew a thing about it and we only had pictures some people I spoke with about it seemed a bit like "zomg diz will be dah best Final Fantasy evar!!!!!!111".

but it seems they are trading excellent gameplay for cheap graphics

I agree :(

Hydra
10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Most likely.

Anything with flashy graphics and horrible gameplay will get at least a seven on any major gaming book or site(Game Informer, PSM). It's weird. o_0

Gumdrop
10-07-2006, 09:51 AM
It is weird. I noticed the only games my parents ever show an interest are the best graphicaly, I think there's something a bit hypnotic about good graphics to them and maybe it's the same for others. But really if your a serious gamer I would have thought gameplay would come first :s

Hydra
10-07-2006, 10:08 AM
They think if it looks pretty, it's fun.

A lot of people disagree. XD

I sure do. With some games anyway.

dappa
10-16-2006, 06:52 AM
I find gameplay alot more important. Some of my mates wont play games unless they are up to date flashy graphics. My friend wont touch final fantasies 1-6 for this same reason.

Slider
10-16-2006, 07:06 AM
IMO, it depends really there isn't a written rule about it.
For example FF7 had a good gameplay to conceal the worst graphics you'd ever see.
In other games you might find vice-versa. In any way I'd preffer to have a good gameplay rather than good graphics in a game