PDA

View Full Version : The Ys Series

Catalyst
01-14-2007, 04:37 AM
The Ys series has been my favourite series since I began playing video games. It was also the first videogame I beat by myself too, even at four years old. Titles have been released on many consoles, and my favourite game of all time is Ys Book I and II for the Turbografx-16, which was the title of the first game I finished.

For those who don't know what the franchise is about:

Ys (イース, Īsu?, IPA: /iːsu̥/) is a Japanese-origin computer role-playing game series, and Nihon Falcom's flagship franchise. It started on the NEC PC-8801 in 1987. It was later released to the MSX2, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Famicom, Super NES, PC, PlayStation 2, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 CDROM, and cellular phone. The title is often incorrectly spelled "Y's", which arises from a typographical error in the packaging of the English-language versions of the Sega Master System port of Ys I.

The Ys series chronicles the adventures of Adol Christin, a red-haired young man with a zest for adventure and an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time. Gameplay always revolves around Adol, though his comrade, Dogi, is a frequent companion in the story. Adol is the only truly playable character in the series. Feena was a non-controllable companion in Ys Eternal, and Tarf was set up similarly in Ys II ETERNAL. Several characters follow Adol around briefly in Ys IV. The standard gameplay mechanisms only involve the control motion pad to fight, like pushing the enemy until dead. Those gameplay mechanisms were done away with by the game's fifth installment, Ys V: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim graphically departed from its predecessors, using three-dimensional graphics, but the gameplay is distinctly old-school in style. Ys: The Oath in Felghana is presented in the same graphical style as Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

That was just a brief description, but if you'd like to read more, follow this Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_%28Video_Game_Franchise%29).

Phoenix Flame
02-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Sorry Catalyst...never played any of the Ys games. Guess I don't know what I missed, eh?

Catalyst
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
It's just nobody really likes it here in North America as much as Asia because of how the Turbografx-16 / Turbo Duo were marketed.