PDA

View Full Version : FF1 help thread (for Wezzy)

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
(continued from the favourite FF game thread)

There is a cave to the west of the elf town where you find the crown, which you should give to the dark elf (he's in a castle north west of the elf town). Then you have to fight him (be careful with him, he can cast death spells and you can't revive mid-battle..), and for that you get a crystal ball I think.. which you should give to the witch that is north west of the town where you got the ship, and she'll give you the herb that will wake up the prince. If I remember correctly.

Oh and about that cave. Be prepared for the worst, stock up on healing items and patience, there are many very annoying enemies there. You might want to level up a lot before venturing in there, and get the silver sword I mentioned first, too.

Also.. there's an extremely good place to level up but it's a lil difficult.. if you're interested I'll tell you more about it :)

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Oooohhh please tell! i think i'm over leveled any way i'm already level 20 oops lol

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Alright. If you backtrack to the town where you got the ship (please tell me the name lol, I forgot and it's getting annoying to repeat that thing all the time), there's a path between the mountains to the east and south that eventually winds around north. If you keep going north there you'll eventually come to a peninsula. On the top 2x2 squares of this peninsula, you'll fight very powerful monsters that you are not supposed to fight until much later in the game.

You can fight Giants, ZomBulls, Trolls and packs of Frost Wolves there. They are all very strong, and can probably annihilate you fairly easily if you're not careful. Giants are especially difficult, they have a lot of HP, hit very hard and have no weaknesses. ZomBulls, Trolls and Frost Wolves are all weak to Fire though, so hit them with FIRE2 (and possibly FIRE3 if you have it, but save that for the ZomBulls and Trolls, since the Frost Wolves should go down in one single FIRE2, some may survive with a few HP left, but not much). ZomBulls are also weak to HARM spells (the others are immune to it, it only works on undead), so if you're facing many ZomBulls use HARM2 (and possibly HARM3 if you have it yet) with your White Mage if you have one (Red Mages can't learn HARM spells I think).

SAVE after each battle here. You might want to backtrack once in a while to rest and stock up on items. Battles here are tough unless you have high levels, but it's by far the best EXP and Gil source for a long time ahead.

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:27 PM
ok thank you for the tips :) i'll post how i get on in 10 minutes :)

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
If you fight there for a while (I always do whenever I start a game of FF1), you'll get enough money to buy all the goodies from the elf town, and even the next town.. :)

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Sounds good to me thanks for helping me with this can i call you "FF GURU"?

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Lol, well I'm not that knowledgeable about all the FF games (especially the SNES ones and FFX), but FF1 and FF7 are my specialties :)

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Ok that's cool. I am pruod to announce i found the place and i fought some things and they got their asses whooped i hope this luck lasts lol

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:37 PM
You shouldn't have too much trouble except with the Giants (no weaknesses).. maybe Frost Wolves too, they cast ice spells on your whole party and if too many of them go before your Black Mage, you can be pretty much dead.

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
My mage just died against them but the rest were fine but i have to go all the way back to town for some pheonix downs damn...

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
That's why you should save before each fight, so you can load it if something goes wrong. Personally, I hate when someone dies as they get out of synch then with level ups :D So I usually reset even if just one guy died, it's not a big deal really to reload your save IMO :)

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
hmm you have an excellent point...*presses reset*

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Are you playing the original NES version, FF Origins or Dawn of Souls?

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
dawn of souls for the gameboy Advance

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah okay.. well if it was Origins, you could use the famous soft reset.. but I guess resetting on GB Advance isn't as slow as on a PS anyway.

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
This game is so so good!!! i love it!

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it's great :) I mean the story is almost non-existing, but for whatever reason I have the time of my life playing it lol.

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
What's this silver sword you talk of? i can't find it in the elf shop...

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Oh it's probably renamed in the Dawn of Souls version.. in the original version and in Origins it's called Silver Sword (well, it's called Silver with a sword icon next to it), and costs 4000. It may be called Mythril Sword or something else in Dawn of Souls, but it should cost 4000, I don't think they'd be changing the prices..

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
The highest price in there is 160...

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 04:42 PM
*scratches head*

Are you sure you are looking in the weapon shop?

I just looked in a FAQ, and yeah, there is a Silver Sword for sale for 4000 in the original NES version. No idea what they've done in Dawn of Souls, so can't help you :/

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
ok well i am definately in elfheim and it has elves and i was in the shop with a sword on the front and it was selling nunchuks so yea dawn of souls must be different

FFnut
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Hang on, level 20? This game is easily beatable by level 28. What's your team, by the way? I could give you some decent spell and equipment tips.

ShadowHeart
06-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, just get whatever most powerful equipment you can get, if you don't already have it. In the original version and in Origins, Silver Sword was by far the strongest weapon at that point but you wouldn't be able to afford more than 1 if even that unless you fought *a lot* (like at the peninsula).

EDIT: Yeah, I thought level 20 seemed a bit high too, but you can easily get higher than that at the peninsula if I remember correctly. I usually get myself very overleveled there, so I don't have to fight very much purely to level up later on.

Wezzy
06-08-2005, 04:56 PM
i have 43683 gil i should be able to afford more than one lol

FFNut i have a red mag a warrior a monk and a thief

ShadowHeart
06-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Hmm, well, then you won't be able to get the most powerful black magic or the most powerful white magic (More specifically Life2, the best cure spells and all the Harm spells). But you can survive without them I guess, all of your characters can hit hard physically instead.

EDIT: Bah, now you've made me want to play FF1 again :D Would be my 5th or 6th time through I think :)

Wezzy
06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
How do I get the mystic key?

ShadowHeart
06-10-2005, 04:05 PM
You get it from the prince after you wake him up.

Wezzy
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
I can't get the crown from the marsh i thought i might need the mystic key...?

ShadowHeart
06-12-2005, 01:54 PM
No no, the crown should be in an unlocked room in the marsh cave, in a treasure chest guarded by a group of Wizards (well that's what they are called in the NES version and in Origins). You need the crown to get the crystal ball, which you need to get the herb, which you need to get the mystic key.. so requiring the mystic key for the crown wouldn't make sense. I know there are rooms in the marsh cave that can only be opened with the mystic key, but they only have regular treasure in them. Well that's how it is in the NES version and Origins :) You probably just missed the room with the crown.

Wezzy
06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Yes i think i must have done. Thanks :)

Wezzy
06-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry for spamming but how long is the game after the prince thing? How many hours does it take for you?

ShadowHeart
06-13-2005, 06:05 PM
I can't remember exactly, been a while since I playead last, but it's fairly short compared to the latter FF games.

EDIT: You have a ways to go though, you're still in the early part of the game. You need to beat the 4 fiends :)

Wezzy
06-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Ok that's good i don't want the fun to end just yet. I've had a brief go on ff2 and i don't think it's as good as ff1 does 2 get better as it goes on?

EDIT: What do i do now? i've woken the prince...

ShadowHeart
06-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Collect ALL the treasure that's now been made available with the mystic key, if you haven't. There are the rooms in the marsh cave, there are some rooms in the first temple (where you fought Garland, the name escapes me lol) and there are some rooms in the elven castle. There should be a key item in one of the rooms in the elven castle.. I think it's TNT. Now, if you sail northwest, there should be a place to get off. From there you walk south west I think until you get to a cave.. that's the dwarf cave. You give the TNT to one of the dwarves and he'll make a passage to the west by blowing some sh*t up, so you can sail west to the next town. That's when your quest to kill the first of the 4 fiends, Lich, starts. The game doesn't exactly give you any hints at what should be done, I think you're just expected to sail around aimlessly and stumble upon the dwarf cave :)

And no, I don't think FF2 is as good as FF1 in any kind of way. Granted, I haven't played FF2 more than the absolute beginning, so I shouldn't be able to judge it fairly, BUT, it has a level-up system that is the worst thing ever in an RPG. If you can live with that, I'm sure the game is bearable, the story doesn't seem too bad at first. I'm sure I'll play through it some day, if only to be able to say that I've beaten it :)

Wezzy
06-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Yea i got the nitro powder as it's called in dawn of souls and i couldn't find the cave but i think i might now that i have had your help :)

ShadowHeart
06-14-2005, 07:15 AM
I hope you have a lot of cash stocked up, because there's an extremely expensive piece of armor in the next town. It's called Steel Armor I think in the original and Origins and costs around 60,000. They may have changed the price and name altogether in Dawn of Souls though, I wouldn't know :)

Wezzy
06-14-2005, 08:08 AM
It cost 36k in this one and i had 150k so i wasn't in too much trouble

ShadowHeart
06-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Heh, nice :) They sure changed a lot in Dawn of Souls.

obliviongirl
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Yes.....(bad game though)!!!hehehe

Wezzy
06-18-2005, 08:35 AM
FF1 is not bad! It's very very good!

obliviongirl
06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
W'ell i guess........i liked it but im glad they made a remake!!! :D

slimcloud
02-10-2006, 09:31 AM
im definitely coming to you shadowheart cause im on origins and will defo need your advicex

ShadowHeart
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Ask away, and I'll help you to the best of my abilities.

Zeromus_X
03-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I'll try to help too! :)

Keano
05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi there. I'm playing FF 1 now, and at the moment I lust for money outside elfenheim. The Concentration mini-game that you can activate while seaborn.... Do any of you have a formula for mastering this game? I'm struggling a whole lot, and any help will be appreciated! For example, have any of you written down exactly how to do one of the boards? I'm from Norway btw :)

Zeromus_X
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
The minigame is worthless for Gil. Try killing Ogres for money, and the Buccaneers (or Kozokus, depending on what version you have) at sea give great Gil for the beginning of the game. Still, there isn't an easy way around this, you may have to actually work for cash sometimes. And the 'Peninsula of Power' is a no-brainer when you become powerful enough.

richboywonder
07-09-2006, 01:23 PM
yeah he is right

Zeromus_X
07-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Wezzy pretty much doesn't come here anymore, and there's another Gen. Help thread, so...*closed*