PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Styles

Kiera
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Does anyone in this forum do any form of martial arts? I am currently taking:

Tai Chi Quan/Yang
Capoiera

I have learned many others in my life, but they are not important right now lol.

Seyluv
12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Well I don't , but when I get out of school I will try and take it up.

Luis
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I've done some Tai Chi too, and I always wanted to learn Capoeira! XD
But Capoeira isn't a Martial Art!! Is it??

Kiera
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
umm yes it is. If you read the history on it, you'll know. Capoeira was a slave martial arts, the slaves in brazil danced so the masters wont know that they are performing martial arts, they would have knives on the bottom of their shoes and when they did one of the moves it would cut and kill their masters,because the master would think they are dancing for them. Capoeira is a very family like martial arts and also a graceful one.

Xartex
12-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Have never tried a martial art, never ever. I know that it is good training but I'm going to stick with athletics :)

Kiera
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Well which type of athletics? Sports wise? Because some martial arts have been turned into a sport by breaking it up. Such as free running and tricking. I do tricking at the moment and I think all of them are athletic XD.

John Smith
12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh, this school year for the 1st time I've heard the term "free running".

For those who haven't heard it yet, it's a sport that consists in you going around running and jumping and doing tricks and stuff.

Isn't it right Kiera?

Kiera
12-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes you are correct but the main aspect of it is that its not just "stuff" its buildings, they give you a course in any given city and you must run through it and who can get through the course the fastest and cleanest will win. There are also one where you must do tricks on it, like the aerials (which are super easy for girls to do but not men since we have a better lower center of gravity than you men lol) anyways, yes you are right. You sohuld start tricking also, that is what I do with my brother when I come home from work. Here are the basic tricking moves:

540 Kick
Butterfly Kick
Aerial
Fron/Back Flip or Tuck
Double Leg

once you learn those you are a beginner ^^ yay.

John Smith
12-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh my... those seem... ahem... how would I put it... difficult? O.o

Kiera
12-06-2006, 06:10 PM
naa you just need prerequisites of each move.

540 is an advance form of a tornado kick which the tornado kick lands with the non jumping leg (the tucking one) but the 540 lands with the same leg you kick off of.

Aerial - You need to know how to do a cartwheel before attempting this, its a cartwheel without hands

double leg - just a side flip with legs sticking up in the air

butterfly kick - horizontal in the air and kick both legs out

the flips you all know ^^.

Its not so hard for me since I am a girl, our grav. are better than yours ^^.

John Smith
12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
double leg - just a side flip with legs sticking up in the air

Can you use your hands to aid you in this trick?

Kiera
12-06-2006, 06:18 PM
no , then it wont be a side flip, it'll be a monkey flip, in which the prerequisite for a monkey flip jumping and dragging your legs, I forgot the term of it though. Here is one of the combos that I love to do:

Inside Crescent Kick -> Hook Kick -> 540 Kick -> Monkey Flip -> Cheat Gainer -> Flash Kick and then stop with a round off into a back flip then end with a front flip after you land.

The gainer is a running forward back flip but the cheat gainer is a diagonal back flip. Flash kick is a kick with a backflip together.

Xartex
12-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Well which type of athletics? Sports wise? Because some martial arts have been turned into a sport by breaking it up. Such as free running and tricking. I do tricking at the moment and I think all of them are athletic XD.
I suppose Track and field is the right term for it ;) I do longjump and sprint and those kind of things.

You seem pretty good at that, never really tried it myself so. And if I do jump around it is over stuck or things like that, or jump up stairs with as few jump as possible. Never trained to do spins and stuff like that so would problably have a hard time doing spinns with kicks. I can however at least do a 540 spin when just jumping straigth up and almost a backflip. But the backflips are usually on a mattress cause I do not feel confident enough to do it without it yet :)

Kiera
12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
lol, I don't mind where I do my back flips, its not hard to do one, I can do 2 back flips in the air at once if I start with a round off but If I just stand still I can do 1 1/2 lol. Well a 540 spin is easy lol, now add the kick andhope you don't shatter your shins because of it. T-T it happened when I first learned it lol. Anyways, You might be stiff on torquing that's all, I can do 3 full spins vertically in the air.

Xartex
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Like I said, it is not something that I do alot so I am naturally not very good at it... :)

Kiera
12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Well I don't beleive there is a natural at anything, its if you condition for it, I mean the nerdiest kid in your school or college that you may attend can become one of the leading athletes if he is dedicated enough. All he has to do is learn the techniques and condition.

Luis
12-06-2006, 11:21 PM
umm yes it is. If you read the history on it, you'll know. Capoeira was a slave martial arts, the slaves in brazil danced so the masters wont know that they are performing martial arts, they would have knives on the bottom of their shoes and when they did one of the moves it would cut and kill their masters,because the master would think they are dancing for them. Capoeira is a very family like martial arts and also a graceful one.

I knew the story, but the part of the knives! lol
It still does not seem to me a Martial Art, but hey! I'm not into it, so...... (and I don't wanna search about it, or at least right now!! XD )
Once again, I'd love to learn XD

Kiera
12-07-2006, 12:01 AM
how do you define Martial Arts?

Luis
12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
LOL I guess I can't XD
But if you want I can explain you the factors to be considered when expanding a business XD XD lol
Well, I though all Martial Arts came from the East (Asia and so) Kung- fu, Haikido, Taekwondo, Karate, Jujitsu, Kendo... and so on. (sorry for any spelling mistake when naming them XD )
So, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Kiera
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
You are correct and wrong at the same time xD. Anyway's, Most Martial Arts branched off of Wushu which was China's orginal Martial Arts. All of Asia use to be China until they started breaking up into groups of which you see today. Even Japan. Anyways, Not all Martial Arts are from Asia. Capoeira for example is a Brazilian MA. Martial Arts are not made only for defence but for discipline in the user. Its to define how much the family knows in the old days. Capoeira is a Martial Arts because it was made to rebel and used for self defence. We see MA as a sport nowadays. Even Ninjutsu was made by farmers and mostly every other MA. They were mostly all made from either slaves or farmers, trying to escape the political order. Ninjutsu, which most might be interested in was formed because the Shogun, the only people who had command over the Samurais, were either destroying or killing the people's land or people, not all though. The samurai was one of the most high ranked people in Japan, not everyone in Japan liked that so they escaped into the mountains to train and what you see today as the Hayabusa of Ninjutsu. Just to let everyone know, Ninjas barely kill, they only kill when needed, so those movies and such you see most of the time, aren't really accurate. Ninjas were more of spies than anything else, they only killed if they were caught.

Luis
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
lol
I did know Capoeira comes from Brazil, and that it was practiced by slaves too.
However I didn't know the rest XD
Good to know it :)

Kiera
12-07-2006, 10:52 PM
=P no prob. if you have any Questions just ask me ^^;. I will try my best of knowledge to answer.

Phoenix Flame
12-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Kiera...if one was truely a beginner, what MA would you suggest going into. I really...REALLY need the self-discipline associated w/the MAs.

I do have an edge though. I can already do a standing 540 cause I was an aggressive inliner back in da day - mostly street, but some vert.

Kiera
12-10-2006, 01:05 AM
That is good you do know about Verting and 540, just hope its a clean one. Anyways, I started out with Kenpo. I also did Tai chi as one of my first but you really have to be dedicated on that. Try to take the anime styles (Kung-Fu). Maybe you might like anything but Karate <.< I dislike that style so much.

Phoenix Flame
12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
What about Hapkido?

Kiera
12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Hapkido is a nice style, anything besdies Karate xD, and no not "Kah Rah Tee" Its Kah Rah Teh
Anyways, That style hold 173 Pressure points I beleive, out of the 700, I know 538 Pressure points, 3/4 of them are Accupuncture points, no I am not a massager, or anything like that, do not even think about it. -_-

Phoenix Flame
12-10-2006, 07:17 PM
No I am not a massager, or anything like that, do not even think about it. -_-

... :rolleyes:

DANG!! :p

Oh well. Thanks for the imput (again.)

There is a place down the block from my house that's been there for like...25 years or something. I've been thinking about it, just haven't been committed enough to walk in and say "Yeah, I'm the new guy...can you kick my @$$ please...I'm tired of being a whad of cookie dough." :D :)

Kiera
12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Well to tell you the truth before I went to any classes my mom/dad/brothers taught me.
Mother: Hapkido , Judo , Jujutsu , Tai Chi Yang/Quan
Father: Tai Chi Yang/Quan , Wushu
Brothers: Tai Chi Yang/Quan , Wushu

Well my first day in class, guess the teacher wanted me to spar with the other students, so we started point sparring, and first it was these kids I was the 4th or 5th to go, I went up against a young boy, (Just to let you know I was little myself), I beat him, 3 points to his 0. Then It was another person's turn, then later the teacher put me up against a old person, around his 40's, He has been taking the class for a while. I beat him -_-, I could not beleive how slow he was. Either I was fast or he was slow, either one, I won -_-. We never came back to the school, since I told my parents they took me to another one.

Staircase
12-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I took karate until i was a brown belt and then quit. I didn't learn a SINGLE thing the whole time. Most of it was defensive and a lot of it would phail if used on the streets. I've always wanted to learn a more aggressive type of karate though, it seem like a lot of fun. What are some types of more offensive Martial arts that can be found here in America?

Kiera
12-11-2006, 12:26 AM
The thing is, most of the things learned in America isn't good lol, even break dancing, I mean most of them aren't good because they don't know the difference between locking and popping. They don't know how to break to the beat. The really good onces are everywhere else aside from America, like Asia or UK.
The thing is,when you learn a style, most people cannot apply that in the streets, I mean they might look nice and such and people might not want to mess with you when they see it first hand but never in combat. The thing is no matter how high you are in rank, it doesn't matter if you can't apply it. That is why I choose martial arts that do not require belts but hard work and training.

Staircase
12-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I see. So what would you reccomend to somebody living in america, who wants to learn an "applyable" martial arts? Or is their basicaly no hope.

Kiera
12-11-2006, 05:32 PM
lol, there is hope xD. Try to take something that interest you, I do not know what everyone would like, all Martial Arts, start out basic just some require a more advance field such as weaponary, but you are aiming for the basic art, so just try anything that doesn't have to deal with weaponary until later, the staff is the basic weapon ^^b

Staircase
12-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I've always been a fan of martial arts and all that good stuff, but their isn't much around me except places aimed at children. Hopefully when i can move out (1 more year... ^^) I'll be a little closer to a martial arts place.

Thanks a lot for the tips. =)

Kiera
12-11-2006, 09:39 PM
np lol, I am glad I can go anywhere ^^ Oo you should check out these links if I have not put them up yet, this is what I do called tricking, its a branch off of Capoeira.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kem-IRcXbAQ&NR
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ubFa9wGA0_U
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHajB-FufZU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9qSYLfKRamY

This is what not to do:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rFx2A4GufqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEJWXbkj-Y

Phoenix Flame
12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Wow! Those are some smooth moves.

Squall Lionheart
12-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Intresting links...but I don't think that the staff is necessarily the basic weapon...

Andrew Scaves
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh I am fo sho down with Martial arts. I'm proficcient in Boxing and getting there in Judo.

Kiera
12-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Boxing is more of a conditioning sport, and Judo, if you take that, they usually add Jujutsu into it also, since they are similiar in many ways. When I took it, it was fun ^^, I liked it a lot. Also, I did not say it was the only basic weapon, the staff are one of the easiest forms to learn for anyone. What other basic weapons can you think of?

Squall Lionheart
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Generally this the first time I hear about combat basic weapons for martial arts...unless it meant hand to hand weapons and excluding advanced weapons...
In any case, here are some weapons that are more commonly associated with martial arts...

For example: swords, blades, nunchakus etc...

As for weapons that have been used since a long time and are also basic weapons varying and mostly are close range combat weapons, for example other than those mentionned here are some of these weapons: Whips, Gloves/claws, maces etc...

John Smith
12-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I thought that only boxing and fencing used weapons :S (gloves and 3 different sword types, respectively).

I'm not gonna talk about bows, because there are plenty with those, so I exclude them from my above sentence :p

Squall Lionheart
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Many other weapons were associated with martial arts, some were unique...I only said about the more widely-used ones...

Kiera
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
The hand gloves, do you mean Cestis? Also, The reason why I say it is a basic weapon, because it is considered a basic form when learned. When you learn the staff, it branches off into the wide range of the Butterfly Form of the Sword and other forms of the sword. Also, when you mean blades do you mean Sabers and such? Sword just widely ranges into other long bladed weapons. What I am trying to say is, that sword is a category not a weapon. Like if you ask someone, which Martial Arts do you take? Not do you take Kun-Fu and Martial arts? The person who asks that is completely clueless. Also, I know in the olden times or era, they used various weapons, but it started with Pitch Forks and farm tools before they became real weapons then people started learning techniques for them and the staff was of the most basic since they do not require much or no money and can be made within a minutes. Also, Just like learning to do math, you must know the basic forms of it, such as + - / *. They are all basic things to remember correct? But later on you will learn how to use them in various ways, even using numbers to make pictures, such as in Physics. Same as the staff, there are more than on weapon that is basic to learn to go on to another weaponary, Sword is more of an intermediate weaponary, if you are going to take a weapons class most of them require you to have some prerequisite of some sort and being able to be flexible enough.

Squall Lionheart
12-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Each weapon requires different skills to use it (including staffs)...you just can't compare it and say the similiarity in usage makes a certain weapon a basic one...

I'm not an expert about martial arts but from my experience I know that commonly used weapons in different forms of martial arts include : Swords, staffs, and nunchakus...and each one of the weapons requires different skills even if someone is learning just the basics of the weapon's usage, that can't be substituted...

That's because there are too many points that can completely change the weapon's required skills, here are the most important ones : Dimensions, weight distribution, blade, weak spots (This isn't too important if you're going to switch to a weapon of the same category)...all these general examples differ widely between any weapons (sword and staff if you want) for any usage (Martial arts or duels)...

Also you can't really tell how the most basic weapons were since they originated from different places at different times...even most of the weapons don't have a standard clear form of developement because of this...

From what you know some used their farm tools...but somewhere else, swords and other blades (by which I meant different types and forms of swords, knives, daggers etc...) were remodeled even at earlier times...For example pitchforks are very late designs (for farming or military use in general) compared to many other weapons like those I already mentionned...in short not all weapons originated from farm tools -or any other tools- at all...

In summary I agree that anyone should learn the basics of the weapon s/he is using, but you should doublecheck your source about weapons origins as well as accepting that learning a weapon's basics can makes you ready to use a similiar one in a completely different category...(if you meant swords and staffs in a specific way, then there's still a big difference between them)...

Kiera
12-14-2006, 01:28 AM
I know where you are getting to, I am saying that Staff is a basic weapon, as to the 3 segmented staff. And such >.> You're practically agreeing argueing with me >.>.

Phoenix Flame
12-14-2006, 05:06 AM
I know where you are getting to, I am saying that Staff is a basic weapon, as to the 3 segmented staff. And such >.> You're practically agreeing argueing with me >.>.

...but at least he is co-operatingly agreeing arguing w/you. :D

Its all one's perception of 'basic'...kinda like Clinton's infamous "...can you describe: sex?" LOL!

I view staves/nunchaku (sp?)and swords all as basic (entry level) weapons. Depending on one's preferrance. ie: someone preferring close-quarter combat would use the Sai while another person, favoring distance melee would want a bo.

I would think a spear or javelin would be the next knotch up...followed by a weighted trident or something...you get my point.

...so I'm a noob :p

Kiera
12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I would like some food now xD, I am hungry lol. Anyways, So, I am wondering has anyone ever picked on or got picked on before? Sorry for asking xD

John Smith
12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Loads O_o

Kiera
12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
lol, you being bullied or doing the bullying?

Staircase
12-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I get picked on a lot. I've always been an alone kid, I sit by myself, keep quiet in classes, I'm an alone person, and being that way always ends up in being picked on. I don't care much though, as i am used to it.

Kiera
12-15-2006, 01:33 AM
not that you should be annoyed by it, shows you are more mature than they are, that is wrong what they do to you. It is good you are able to keep your temper and such.

Phoenix Flame
12-15-2006, 02:51 AM
I was constantly picked on in H.S. Man, those times were tough! A word of advice: FIGHT BACK!!! You may get clobbered, but the cost of not standing up for yourself is worse...trust me.

John Smith
12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
I get picked on a lot. I've always been an alone kid, I sit by myself, keep quiet in classes, I'm an alone person, and being that way always ends up in being picked on. I don't care much though, as i am used to it.

Stair's words are my words too (unfortunatly), except that I had a true friend that I could count on in my class. Oh boy, was I mistakened >_>

Kiera
12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Oo, I never really got picked on but, I do know some people who have, I usually just talk it over to them, and the people who are messing with them for some odd apparent reason <.< Didn't come to school for a few weeks XD, not because of the Asian connection <.< I have. Naa jk lol.

Spec Highwind
12-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Well... most of the people (almost everyone) respect me, but sometimes they pick on my friends, and that's when I can't stay still, watching. I'm a quiet guy, with an important role in my friend-group, and my actions are always the most unexpected.

Kiera
12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
I have always been respected also, just not all of my friends as well and when they do get picked on , I am not the one to stick with the winning group, I don't care if the person I am helping is a "dork or w.e" If the people do not like me for who I stand up for then they should not be my friend in the first place, I should be able to choose my friends without anyone saying "Do not be his/her friend or I wont be yours"
Good thing that was years ago.

Phoenix Flame
12-16-2006, 04:48 AM
That is very admirable of you Kiera...wish I had a friend like you in H.S.

Kiera
12-16-2006, 07:04 PM
xD thank you. Also, I cannot wait to go exercise after work today xD.

Phoenix Flame
12-22-2006, 08:59 AM
What do you do for work?

BTW: I am looking into Hapkido at a place by my house. They just happened to be #1 in the nation experience wise. So I'll probably go with them.

Phoenix Flame
01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Update: I recently had my first Hapkido class this past Monday! Wow! I didn't think I would learn so much my first day. This is going to be awesome... 3 years to black belt -> or so they say. I'm going to try my best to get there sooner though.

Hydra
01-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Update: I recently had my first Hapkido class this past Monday! Wow! I didn't think I would learn so much my first day. This is going to be awesome... 3 years to black belt -> or so they say. I'm going to try my best to get there sooner though.
We can't mess with you now!

You'll beat us up. =P

Tony Jaa makes me interested in martial arts. He does his own stunts. o_O

Imagine Jackie Chan, only twice as better, and he does all of his stunts. =D

Axel
02-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Me and my friend Shawn are really interested in the different styles of martial arts the is a link to a certain style called Drunken Fists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKkGaQr00E

Phoenix Flame
02-10-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm all about the street fighting style of Hapkido!

Doctor
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Me and my friend Shawn are really interested in the different styles of martial arts the is a link to a certain style called Drunken Fists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKkGaQr00E

Drunken Fists. XDDD Looks pretty cool. :D

02-13-2007, 02:57 AM
martial arts i learn some martial arts from movies like bruc Lee and the rest i learn on my own .

Slider
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
But Jackie does all his stunts too! :(
(and does he get hurt in the process!!!)

Anyways I used to be a Tae-kwon-do martial artist for about 7-8 years, my best achievement was third place in Cairo Club Tournament! I quit shortly afterwards but it's along story! ;ouc

What I like most about martial arts is the dedication it requires and the big pay-off you get by giving it all you've got

Slider
02-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, i used to be all about Tae-kwon-do, but for now i jus train with weapons (yes it has weapon training for advanced levels) and go to the gym

Axel
02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
What weapons do you specialize in? Katana? Bow Staff? Dao?

ShadowHeart
02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I used to do Aikido for a while. Was fun, should have kept it up. Got a girlfriend at one point however and I decided to skip a few sessions around then, and then never got back to it later :(

Slider
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Well I specialise with hand-and half swords, but I trainned on using the Bo and the nunchaku as well! So i can actually fight with a sword, less with a Bo....but barely do anything other than show-off moves with the unchaku

An Aikido is pretty cool too! It can really strengthen your wrists and nerval system!