PDA

View Full Version : what the hell did my dad do!

Tifa-chan
02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Okay, so we installed a new graphics card on our main computer in the house, and moved the old one from that computer into the computer in my room. However, now my computer wont run at all. Five minutes in the whole system freezes and there is nothing you can do. Now my dad is blaming me for it, saying that it got a viruse from the sites I go to, which is inpossible with all the secutity I have got on that thing!

So anyone got any ideas what the hell we did wrong?

dappa
02-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Check your ram chips it could've burnt out on the contacts. Something similar happened like that to my sisters computer a week ago after a brand spanking new graphics card was put in.

ShadowHeart
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Try getting the latest drivers. If necessary, download them from another computer and install them as soon as your computer has booted up.. Won't help if it's a hardware failure though (ie, if the card is broken).. but if it worked fine in the other computer, and you didn't break it while putting it into the current computer, it should be fine.

Tiny Bronco
02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Like Shadow said. First see if it is a software or hardware problem. If Hardware then its probably the graphics card. If software then you may have gotten a virus or the graphics card may simply not be compatable with your computer. It would be helpful to tell us what type of card and computer you have.

Tifa-chan
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Hum *thinks* No we didn't break it, and my dad did say something about needing to update drivers. I hope that is it. But it's an ATI graphics card, so you know it's a peace of crap, but it's better than the one the computer came with. I'll tell my dad about that.