PDA

View Full Version : The things i dont like in ff8

alfaitha
05-20-2005, 03:45 AM
I loved Final Fantsy VIII to death; it is my favorite Final Fantsy game. But there is one thing about the story that continues to irritate me everytime I play it. I hate the little twist in the story that relates the characters according to fate because they all apparetly (except Rinoa) grew up together in their early years. That just takes away so much from the characters as far as their history, development, diversity, and individuality; as opposed to FF7 in which all of the characters have distinct and interesting backgrounds. That's why that scene in the busted up Trabia basketball court is the worst part of the whole game for me.

ShadowHeart
05-20-2005, 03:59 AM
I thought it was a bit cheesy myself, but I can live with it :) My sister was watching the first time I got to that part, so if I ever play FFVIII when she's around, she asks if I'm playing that game where all the characters find out they were childhood friends lol.

Gumdrop
05-20-2005, 04:52 AM
Yes, that part of the game was awful its one of the things I dislike the most about FF8. For me the other realy bad bit in FF8's story was definatly when the Garden flew out of the way from the missiles, I know its supposed to be fantasy but thats still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game.

ShadowHeart
05-20-2005, 05:10 AM
Aye, the Garden thing was a bit stupid too. Flying shelters? Ah well, it goes well with the story anyway, how else were they supposed to evade the missiles? :)

Gumdrop
05-20-2005, 04:31 PM
how about stopping them lauching in the first place? or changeing their course in time? two much better ways than having flying blue buildings that you can steer around like cars.

alfaitha
05-20-2005, 04:55 PM
hahaha, yeah, the flying garden thing bothered me a little too, but I also thought it was a little fun. Who'd think they'd escape by flying the entire garden structure.

xoBabyGurl22ox
05-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Well yeah just seeign it pop out of the ground is kidna weird. But yeah it is a good way to evade teh missiles but kinda stupid. And that basketball court that got on my nerves it was too long! :mad:

Wezzy
05-21-2005, 08:37 AM
i agree the basketball bit was very long and annoying and it's not interesting at all, plus there backgrounds are all crap.

ShadowHeart
05-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Actually, yeah you're right HC. When I first went to the Galbadin missile base, I assumed they'd stop the missiles completely or at least change their course.. all they did was set an "error rate" or whatever to the maximum, and such a setting is absolutely retarded. Think about it. Who would make it possible to increase the chance of your missiles missing? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Another thing I always wondered about is what actually happened to the missiles. This huge cloud of smoke surrounds the garden, and the missiles fly right into the middle of it, and it takes a while for the garden to come out of that smoke. Even if the missiles had missed the garden, and hit the ground, they do cause an explosion on impact.. but the garden comes out undamaged.

alfaitha
05-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah, that pissed me off too. I mean error ratio, are you serious? Yeah, it was pretty stupid to have a flying garden. I guess until you get the Ragnarok, you would have to take the subway everywhere. :)

squall7468
10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
yea the only thing we really no about rhinoa is that julie is her mother the one laguna likes and generall callaway is her father doesnt give her past in the game

squall7468
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
btw to make sum really nice exp go to the island closes to hell and for the most ap go to the island closes to heaven i just found out about it and its really good wat to lvl up and all

~Hidan~
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
I wasnt a fan of any of the flashbacks in the game, it just made me frustraited and wanting to get on with the game.

Luis
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
I liked the entire game. It's a fantasy game, so although the fact that all the characters were together when childs, and then they all find themselves again, is for me not more than a funny event. It doesn't make sense in a real way, of course!! But it's a fantasy game. But I understand what you mean.

Zerlina
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Am I the only one who just completely hated FFVIII? It was completely shallow. You could dig for things in FFVII, and FFIX was a classical telling of the heroic journey. FFVIII was just terrible. The FMV graphics and backgrounds were good though, I guess.

Mong00se
10-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Zerlina, THANK YOU. For years I've waited for someone to hate FFVIII as much as I do. There are SOME cool parts, mainly the FMV where you get chased my the mech spider, but other than that I found the game really cheesy and the characters had really no depth to them, where as in other FF games the characters all had substance and something to add.

BTW: Quistis is a MILF.

Luis
10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Since I played FFVIII, I have a different point of view about witches(or sorceress). I used to have in mind the old fashioned prototype of witches, and it disappeared when I played FFVIII. It was a really good version of a fairy tale in a more fashioned way. And a really good love story too, much more deep than in FFVIX, in my point of view. I liked it much more than the one in FFIX. I read in a FFVIII wallpaper a sentence(it was in spanish) and it was something like this: "A love story in a war time" This game used so many good elements that others didn't do, such as the '' Tale inspiration'', the new concept of witches, and all this mixed with the need to survive for these young Seeds. To survive to the new world that spies on outside the Garden.
A really good game for me

Zerlina
10-30-2005, 10:46 PM
S much more deep than in FFVIX, in my point of view.

FF...what...?

ShadowHeart
10-31-2005, 02:50 AM
He meant FFIX, most likely :)

Zeromus_X
10-31-2005, 09:43 PM
i never really hated it. (it was kindof too easy...^^;; after you draw the magics...)
like luis, i like how they incorparated witches(sorceresses, same difference) into a more modern game. i know it has its cons, but everything does! thats why i focus on the positive aspects of the game, instead of the negative ones, because the good far outwheighs the bad.

the characters were shallow? i never noticed it. i guess i just dont analyze the same as other people...meh.

still, i really dont have any complaints about this game, except i dont think it has alot of replay value...well i still need to catch that monkey dude...

now if i could convince my rabid ff7 fanboy friends the same...

Luis
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah!! I meant FFIX!! :p :p Couldn't you wonder it?? hehehe Thanks for the rinse Shadowheart :D :D

Sorry anyway, that's what happens when you are typing fast(at least in my case)
And the good thing is we do not think the same, and don't like the same things either. If we did, it would be such a boring world! So, that was just my opinion. I used to think of ugly and old witches, wearing black coats and flying with their brooms :D

But the idea of such cool witches as Edea(looking so self-confident, with her fashion look, and her charm) or Adel(with a strong torse, and her evil look...moreover, did you ever though of a dictator witch???) shocked me.
One of the most amazing moments in the game I can remember is the procession (was it in Galbadia?) where Edea appears in the float...such an amazing moment: Edea's Theme starts playing(the one with choirs) and Squall and his team have really little time to try to kill her.....wow hehe

Max the Man
11-02-2005, 12:03 AM
I didn't necessarily hate FFVIII, but it isn't my favorite Final Fantasy. Here is my list of things I didn't like so much...

1: The battle system, imo, was a little too easy. (getting rid of the MP system was a baaaaaad idea... watching Shiva's animation over and over and over and over....)
2: I think that they focused way too much on plot and didn't give the characters a detailed personality. Much like in FFVII, some of the characters were only useful for the part that they had to be in your party, and once you picked your favorites, you usually stuck with them for most of the game.
3: The magic selection wasn't really all that wide. sure, it introduced the -ra's and -aga's, but that was about it, and the only real use for magic was raising your HP and Atk.
4: the bosses, imho, were really easy. The only boss I ever really had problems with was Adel, and that was because I didn't have Rinoa, who was one of the characters I brought through the entire game.

I think that that's it.

ShadowHeart
11-02-2005, 06:11 AM
2: I think that they focused way too much on plot and didn't give the characters a detailed personality. Much like in FFVII, some of the characters were only useful for the part that they had to be in your party, and once you picked your favorites, you usually stuck with them for most of the game.
Well... in every single RPG I play, I always pick pick 3 (or 4, depending on how large parties you have) characters and stick with them the whole game. But I also try to change who I play with between playthroughs, I like to try all or at least most characters out (given that I play through the game enough times to do that). Regardless of what I actually think of the characters' personality. But maybe that's just me :) I guess FFX is the one and only exception, I used all characters in that game thanks to the mid-battle character switching ability :)

gcarev10
11-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I dont agree with you all ff8 is the best game of version ff. It si story of a man who will go through hell and heven for love,it is a story of mother who is sacrifice her self for good of they children, it is story fighting for freedom ,garden is good ,misle error is a sabotage true army action is good game and i liked.

水草Cloud
11-05-2005, 04:30 AM
The story among Laguna,Raine and Julia is very good.Although it is too short compeared with that of Squall and Ronia,it is the most moveing story in FF8.

Squall Leonhart
01-15-2006, 06:52 PM
On the back of the case of the game it says "based on the theme of love." I didn't see Squall in love with Rinoa until VERY late in the game.

Compact Soul
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
I didn't like the flying garden part at all. it was the biggest flaw in the game. :mad:

Squall Lionheart
01-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Obviously....there's nothing to hate about Rinoa without the smallest doubt....being so beautifull,innocent & kind I was NEVER able to find any kind of flaw about her...

dappa
11-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I think all the characters are all intertwined in some way . Ok for the plot, they all grew up together apart from rinoa, but even rinoa is the product of a woman that laguna once loved and laguna is squalls father.

Phoenix Flame
11-24-2006, 02:52 AM
<Man, I'm sure Squall didn't like seeing this thread revived...>

...Meh? OH! I was just saying that I thought the game was very unique. I liked the storyline, but the junctioning was all too...tedious. Otherwise, very good game!

YuRiPa
11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
I think all the characters are all intertwined in some way . Ok for the plot, they all grew up together apart from rinoa, but even rinoa is the product of a woman that laguna once loved and laguna is squalls father.

Okay.. forgive me for being a tad slow here... but has it been proven that Laguna is Squall's father?? And as for me.. I love FF8.. It was ther first one i ever played so it introduced me to the series (god thats going back abit.....). Every final fantasy game tries to be unique and i think this game has achieved that. And as for the back story of all the characters.. Maybe it was all a set-up.. They all grew up together with Edea.. Maybe the plan never was to assassinate her.. It was to bring her back to her former-self. Becuase, thinking about it, it may not have been coincidence that brough Irvine to your party.. He was part of this huge plot. Well.. thats my thoughts anyway :D

CiD
12-27-2006, 04:07 PM
It's not been proved that Laguna is Squalls father, but if u read between the lines it's pretty obvious. And their all lookalike.
I thought it was smart to make the garden a hoovering "thing". I was ready to just jump on a boat and start controling it and its a little fun solution. Though I hoped that it would be more chocoobos in the FF8. <3 Chocoobo sidegame u can get kickass stuff from there.

ninjaboi2905
01-30-2007, 11:46 PM
The part I hated was when you had to escape from the jail. Going up and down and up and down the floors with monsters after you...I hated it..

jedi geoff
01-31-2007, 06:31 AM
things i liked bout FF8:
1. the music was good
2. ......laguna's bit, i liked them more.
3. ok im out

things i didnt like:
1. Junctioning. The characters didnt have ANY special abilities, except for limit breaks, but they sucked :(
2. Magic sucked. i almost NEVER used it, i almost never equipped it, the only time i can remeber is healing spells.
3. Boost. Gf's were cool, and unique, but they sucked unless you boosted, which was annoying having to stop completely and concentrate to try and get a good boost.
4. Story muck-ups. mostly the missle launching sequence. The flying garden wasnt really that bad, but error ratio? wth? WHO THE HELL WOULD MAKE A MACHINE WHICH LET YOU MAKE THE ERROR RATIO HIGHER?????????????????

jedi geoff
01-31-2007, 06:36 AM
things i liked bout FF8:
1. the music was good
2. ......laguna's bit, i liked them more.
3. ok im out

things i didnt like:
1. Junctioning. The characters didnt have ANY special abilities, except for limit breaks, but they sucked :(
2. Magic sucked. i almost NEVER used it, i almost never equipped it, the only time i can remeber is healing spells.
3. Boost. Gf's were cool, and unique, but they sucked unless you boosted, which was annoying having to stop completely and concentrate to try and get a good boost.
4. Story muck-ups. mostly the missle launching sequence. The flying garden wasnt really that bad, but error ratio? wth? WHO THE HELL WOULD MAKE A MACHINE WHICH LET YOU MAKE THE ERROR RATIO HIGHER?????????????????
also maybe 2 or 3 should have gone to the orphanage, not almost everyone.

ill tihnk of more later
:)

Squall Lionheart
01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Limit breaks are special attacks, but there are many other abilities assuming you mean attacking abilities that can be learnned by Guardian Forces, for example Commands (Kamikaze, Darkside, Mad Rush, etc...), Character abilities (Auto-Haste, Auto-Protect, Cover, Expend Magic etc...), Party abilities (Intiative, Alert, Enc-None etc..)...

Depending on the junctionned GF are divided these abilities so basically every one acquires his/her own skill...

Some people don't depend on magic, but I know some others who use it in almost all their battles...that's just because they see it more useful, here are some small examples if you don't see how:

- Zombie followed by Life, Full-Life, Curaga, Regen etc...
- Cast Meltdown on the enemy followed by Zombie then Mad Rush on party members for maximum physical damage (Meltdown causes Vit 0, Zombie raises Str, Berserk raises Str, and that's aside from Haste and Protect that you get by Mad Rush)
- Triple with high level magics such as Ultima, Meteor, Demi, Aura etc...
- There are just too many examples that you get with experience...

What I'm trying to say is that if you weren't intrested in using Magic then that doesn't make it unuseful...

You can only Boost your GF's attack for a limited time, not throught the whole summoning, meaning that after you're unable to boost your GF anymore you still have time left while it damages the enemies...

As far as I know, an error ratio for a missile can increase by increasing the missile's speed making it less stable during its course, it can be easily increased espcially with a far target...that goes for all machine, you can increase one of their capabilities costing it an ideal overall performance...

The orphanage became the first Garden...where did you expect the kids to go seriously...

dappa
01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
overall magic did suck. But squalls examples in his post are some useful examples of how I used magic as part of my strategy to defeat enemies. I liked meteor spell especially when your stat was at 255 for magic.

Doctor
01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I loved using magic; I utilized it well, and just about every other part of the game's system. When you use it to the fullest, the gameplay doesn't seem all that bad.

And the fact that most of the main characters, excluding Rinoa, were all together at the orphanage as children, I thought was only slightly dissapointing. I was expecting something along those lines to come along during the story, so I don't think that was too bad. I think it sort of tied in some things together, like how Irvine was attracted to Selphie because he remembered her, while she on the other hand couldn't because of her use of GF's.

At least, that's what I think...

Sleazer
03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I dont like thet you cant buy magic like in ff7,but ff8 have one of the best story lines .Becaus of thet i like ff8 thet much.\(°_°)/

Subzero
03-15-2007, 04:21 PM
The worst thing in ff8 is that you must collect spells , you can not learn them. I don t like that they must fight aganst the women that raise them , and that you must collect to many items to get doomtrain.

Slider
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I thought it was more realistic that way!

Slider
03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
dude! there's already an active thread forthat subject, and WHAT are the women u're talkin bout?!

Sleazer
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Man it would be beter if you first play the game an then ask questions.

Slider
03-15-2007, 05:43 PM
(Edited) + Sorry :o
I'm ashamed of my mistake

Sleazer
03-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I know its more realistic like thet but i like it when you can go in a shop and buy a magic thet you wont so thet you dont need to search for it.

dappa
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
It was a novelty idea really. Square never repeated it again.

I hated the fact spells didn't do much damage or if you used your stocked magic your stats started to go down.

clief101_
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
i really didnt like the draw factor in the battles...who ever heard of drawing out a power from your enemy, especially a GF, that was a bit lame in my oppinion. i didnt like the junctioning either, it was like you werent really using the charcters true strength, but enhancing it by another method, which says to me that they need to be powered up 'coz they're not strong enough. the story line was alright, and i really liked squall's attitude at the start of the game, it was so kool

Doctor
06-11-2007, 06:42 AM
I would only have to agree on the way magic was used in the game. I thought that junctioning magic to your characters was a rather interesting idea--just the fact that you had to keep your magic 'stocked' up was kind of stupid. It would have worked out better if you could have just had MP like nearly every other Final Fantasy, and if your MP ran out, you would suffer a stat penalty to whatever magic you had the stat(s) junctioned to. Then you could regain your stats just by simply using an Ether. That would have had to make Ethers hard to find, or something, but I think that my idea could've worked.

So yeah, that was really the only thing that i didn't agree with.

dappa
06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Did anyone else notice that rinoa has the highest stats when at level 99 compared to the other characters?

Her stat increases are roughly 10-15 points higher than everyone else. Weird eh?