PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of XII.

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I was just wondering if someone could give me their thoughts on FFXII, it's out in Europe in 2 days and I've got enough money to buy it, I'm still trying to choose between Okami and FFXII though. I've heard some people say that it's horrible and probably one of the worst FF's ever, is this true?
So could people give me their opinions on the game?

Btw, a side-question; Is this game incredibly linear.... like FFX?

Hydra
02-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I was just wondering if someone could give me their thoughts on FFXII, it's out in Europe in 2 days and I've got enough money to buy it, I'm still trying to choose between Okami and FFXII though. I've heard some people say that it's horrible and probably one of the worst FF's ever, is this true?
So could people give me their opinions on the game?

Btw, a side-question; Is this game incredibly linear.... like FFX?
I stopped reading right there.

Get FFXI. Nao.

Okami IS fun, but after one play through, you'll be sick of it.

As where FFXII, is incredibly fun, and you won't be making yuck faces at it for anytime soon. FFXII has more replay value, story, and gameplay than Okami will ever have. Okami is GOOD, but it's not great. It's only good for one time through, while you'll have fun with FFXII for ages. =D

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I stopped reading right there.

Get FFXI. Nao.

Okami IS fun, but after one play through, you'll be sick of it.
XD, I thought "FFXI? What the?" Then I read on and knew it was a typo, yeah, I was thinking of getting Okami but I'll get FFXII now, afterall, I couldn't live with myself If I hadn't played every FF at least once. =P

Hydra
02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Oops, silly me. XD Even if I wanted FFXI, my computer couldn't take it. =D

Yeah, totally buy FFXII.

Got it right that time. =D

Okami's great for a rent, but I made the mistake of buying it.

I was satisfied, until I finished. I didn't want to play it again. XD

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I wanted to ask this question as well; why exactly is FFXII a 16+? It doesn't seem to have blood or violence in it so the rating is a bit weird. XD

Hydra
02-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, you do hit stuff.

Seems like violence to me! XD

It is pretty groundbreaking too. Not that it has an effect on the rating.

I'm not sure how you rate it in the U.K, to tell the truth. XD

Sixteen is Teen, and it's T for Teen over here. =P

Wait till Fran goes crazy. XD.

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Just seems a bit weird. =P
Resident Evil 4 is a 15+ over here and yet FFXII is a 16+. WTF? XD
I think the age raters over here must have made a major mistake when rating FFXII. XD

Phoenix Flame
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Perhaps it is because you are wielding all matter of weapons and killing nasty marks and villians alike =D I disagree w/Hydra though. I found XII extremely unsatisfying - mostly because of the storyline...or lack thereof. There is simply not enough character or story development. Even later on, when the world is falling apart - there's no evidence of it ~ you can freely roam anywhere in the world without it blowing apart or w/o insighting mass hysteria (unlike 6, 7, 10, etc.) Be warned; however, as I was in love with FFX - you may not appreciate my review. I gave FFXII 6.8/10. It would have gotten a much better score with a little more work by the developers to get rid of some monotony, ditch the license board for something a little bit more exponential (like the sphere grid) and story/character development.

My advice: Borrow it from a friend or go in on it together to pass 1 1/2 months away kicking the crap out of baddies. You'll be happy, your friend will be happy, and you won't think you've wasted $50 US (whatever it is by you) + money for the guide...

Hydra
02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I know, but his choices are of the two.

So, I picked the best one out of the two. =D

I agree with you on the story, but not on the license board though. That's about it though really. Still, as flawed as it is, it's a bit better than Okami.

If you take Reasons advice (which you should. XD!), still get FFXII. Okami's kind of a waste too. It's got an awesome story, awesome gameplay, and you'll have a good time with it, but only ONCE. Don't buy it! That sounds horrible, but don't! XD

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I usually buy games which I'll play about 3-4 times before taking it back, if I'll get bored after one play-through of Okami then I'll avoid it. I certainly aren't paying £30 for Okami if I'm just going to play it once. =P

Hydra
02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Then again, you might want to.

The story is so awesome though, I doubt you'd want to hype through the whole game, only to play through it again, knowing what'll happen and being bored.

=P

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I only ever play through games more than once if it's an RPG, (I've literally played through FFIX 10 times, XD) I don't like the idea of breezing through a game a second time and knowing where everything's placed, how to solve the puzzles, etc.

Hydra
02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, FFXII's for you then.

Okami's good, but has zero replay value. XD

Besides, FFXII is longer. =D

Yggdrasill
02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
FFXII it is then. =P
Now....I have to wait till Friday to get it, dang. XD

Hydra
02-21-2007, 06:20 PM
FFXII it is then. =P
Now....I have to wait till Friday to get it, dang. XD
Dang. XD

You can still change your mind.

Either a quick, awesome game or a long, fun game.

=D

Sounds hard to choose. XD

Yggdrasill
02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I've decided to go with FFXII, I've read the walkthrough I have for Okami (Came with a magazine I bought) and it looks too short, I really don't want a game I can beat before the weekend is over. =P
Anyway, by this time tomorrow I'll be playing FFXII, I'll post on here as to what I think it's like tomorrow.

Hydra
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I've decided to go with FFXII, I've read the walkthrough I have for Okami (Came with a magazine I bought) and it looks too short, I really don't want a game I can beat before the weekend is over. =P
Anyway, by this time tomorrow I'll be playing FFXII, I'll post on here as to what I think it's like tomorrow.
If you do everything, it's not short.

Still, FFXII is longer. XD

~Hidan~
02-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Final Fantasy 12 is the best thye have done in the past couple of years i think, 9 was soso, 10 blew, 10-2 blew even more, 11, well itso nline, doesnt count in my book.

12's graphics are awesome, and the fighting is new and fairly fun. overall i think its a winner, not so long but it was fun.

ThroneofDravaris
02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
It's probably the weakest FF game since FFVIII. Story is nothing great, the characters show little in the way of development and the battle system allows you to kill most of the story bosses purely with massive attack chains. Not cool, in my book.

Slider
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM
man......I've just seen it today, i like the battle system development, and the soundtracks weren't bad! is there anythin you don't hate?

ThroneofDravaris
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Life of Brian

Slider
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
ok...thats a start, now how about the game?

ThroneofDravaris
02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Err, the dialog and graphics were alright I guess. That's about it.

Yggdrasill
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I got both of them anyway, (Okami and FFXII), I got more than I expected when I traded in Zelda: Twilight princess.
So far FFXII is alright, the battle-system isn't what I expected, they missed out the biggest aspect of a real-time battle system. I'm hoping to play Okami later.

ultimecia
02-28-2007, 09:35 AM
i got final fantasy XII yesterday and i strongly say you should buy it. All my friends have been saying it is great and i think with the new battle system it will be one of the best final fantasy's ever made.

Spec Highwind
02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm enjoying this game as I never enjoyed a game before! Really surpasses my expectations.

A bit FFXI-like

Kat
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Its a great game!!

i love it,and i can't stop playing it! lol
me thinks you should buy it ^^

Shotgunnova
03-03-2007, 05:46 AM
FFXII sentiments, huh?

I love political struggle (see: FFT), but I think the overal storytelling perspective is what puts me off. Rather than a character-oriented view like past games, FFXII adopts a world-perspective which focuses more on the story than the characters (and to what great effect, I can't say). That only furthers the idea of watching a movie/cinematics instead of using the characters as a 'vessel' to live through. Heck, I could care less if Ashe won the throne or a huge wild saurian bit her head off -- the story, while having enough steam to continue without being overtly boring, ends up being a shallow water that runs...shallow. That's how I feel anyway; there ain't enough to show the characters' in a frame I care about. I admire the game's great historical-type script, but half of it's nonsense if it isn't focusing intently on the characters themselves.

It took me 200+ hours to realize I don't like the game, but I guess one could rack that up to its "charm."

Phoenix Flame
03-03-2007, 05:59 AM
FFXII sentiments, huh?

I love political struggle (see: FFT), but I think the overal storytelling perspective is what puts me off. Rather than a character-oriented view like past games, FFXII adopts a world-perspective which focuses more on the story than the characters (and to what great effect, I can't say). That only furthers the idea of watching a movie/cinematics instead of using the characters as a 'vessel' to live through. Heck, I could care less if Ashe won the throne or a huge wild saurian bit her head off -- the story, while having enough steam to continue without being overtly boring, ends up being a shallow water that runs...shallow. That's how I feel anyway; there ain't enough to show the characters' in a frame I care about. I admire the game's great historical-type script, but half of it's nonsense if it isn't focusing intently on the characters themselves.

It took me 200+ hours to realize I don't like the game, but I guess one could rack that up to its "charm."

;hai

couldn't have said it better mehself! :)

Yggdrasill
03-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I've gotten quite far into it and it still isn't anything special, FFIX still remains to be beaten in my opinion, the battle-system is what really ruined this game.
I really hope Square decide to put the ATB back in when it comes to FFXIII.

Phoenix Flame
03-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I hope so too!

Edit: Wow and Dang!

Yggdrasill are 3000 gil richzorz! LOL!

Yggdrasill
03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Yggdrasill are 3000 gil richzorz! LOL!
I wonder how that happened. XD

Phoenix Flame
03-03-2007, 09:45 AM
:rolleyes:

You know, we really SHOULD stay on topic.

Oh! I've got it! FFX pwns FFXII !

XD

Kat
03-04-2007, 11:40 AM
:rolleyes:

You know, we really SHOULD stay on topic.

Oh! I've got it! FFX pwns FFXII !

XDnot by alot but it does o.o"

now about staying on topic....i liked all the different races in this game too especially the Viera,so that sorta helped boost my likeness of them game,lol.

dappa
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I brought the game a day after its release date and still haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to getting around to playing it.

As for what I have seen so far I'm well pleased that they decided to bring back some of the music from the earlier final fantasies to this game.

Gackt Camui
03-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I do hate the fact that they got rid of turn base fighting. That drives me right up the wall!

dappa
03-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Turn based fighting rules. But I will get used to fighting battles in this game. I got used to it on the gamecube crystal chronicles.

Spec Highwind
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Even if I wanted FFXI, my computer couldn't take it. =D
You want it. you just don't know it...

Gackt Camui
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Ah that is one game I did not like that was FF and that was Crystal Chronicles...

yogimbo
03-09-2007, 12:39 PM
ive only had a brief time to play XII but i wasnt too impressed by it tbh,
doesnt match the other FF's imo

Gackt Camui
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
No it doesn't as I said before i hate that turn base is gone.

Tifa-chan
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Just a general question. I personaly like it, but then don't. There are things I like about the game and then some things I miss. For instance, the turnbased battles. I miss them.

What your thoughts on it? :confused:

dappa
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree with you on that one it has taken me at least four days to get used to the fact that the battlles are in real time. But Im starting to enjoy it now. The licence thing is weird though, you need a licence to equip a weapon bah!

Kat
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
i.personally liked it,even the license board..it wasn't very complex,so it wasn't ALL fun,and yea the battle system took some getting used to but whatever,lol.
once i got used to everything i couldn't put the controller down so...ya,lol.

ThroneofDravaris
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I didn't find it awful, but I liked it significantly less than pretty much every other mainline FF game with the possible exception of FFII. It has some serious issues, from both a game play and story telling prospective, that prevent me from holding it in a particularly high esteem.

EDIT: And apparently I've already said posted in this thread. This forum needs more activity.

ultimecia
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
i think FFXII is an amazing game m8

Drake
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
ThroneofDravaris wrote:

but I liked it significantly less than pretty much every other mainline FF game with the possible exception of FFII. It has some serious issues, from both a game play

I agree. As far as I can remember, I've logged about 25 (maybe) hours on FF XII now. To me, the combat is somewhat tedious and reptitve. (Perhaps this will change as I gain more abilites-if I can muster up enough enthusiasm to play it). And the camera system is too limiting.

Spec Highwind
03-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I didn't find it awful, but I liked it significantly less than pretty much every other mainline FF game with the possible exception of FFII.
They are both in my top 5 FFs

I like the battle system... it requires quickness and ability...

and hours of training

ThroneofDravaris
03-31-2007, 03:15 AM
I agree. As far as I can remember, I've logged about 25 (maybe) hours on FF XII now. To me, the combat is somewhat tedious and reptitve. (Perhaps this will change as I gain more abilites-if I can muster up enough enthusiasm to play it). And the camera system is too limiting.
Don't expect it to get better any time soon. It's not until around the 40 hour mark that the games plot really gets going and you have to use more than attack and heal in battles. Of course, it only really changes to "buff>attack>heal" etc but I digress.

Honestly, the only reason I continued playing the game to the end was the promise of a particularly entertaining final boss battle. I found it quite surprising that I wasn't disappointed.

Yggdrasill
03-31-2007, 10:19 AM
I have to be really honest but this game really isn't that good. So far I'm upto the "Still-shrine of Miriam" and I haven't played it for a week or so, I'm far more into playing FFVI: Advance at the moment.
The combat is what seriously ruins this game because the magic is next to useless except for the Healing/curative magic, you can basically do WAY more damage just by attacking, the loading bar to where you have to wait to attack is seriously stupid, being given the ability to run from enemies means absolutely nothing when the enemies continuously follow you until they attack you, the Gambit system is really flawed and the characters are carbon clones of each other.
The bottom line is;

-The battle-system in this game sucks, WTF didn't Square just stick to the ATB battle-system?
-The story honestly isn't that good, were in the 21st century now and Square are STILL using those types of stories? Come on....
-Vaan is seriously annoying, I mean, Tidus was bad enough but Vaan.....

All together so far I'd give FFXII a 6/10 because it really hasn't captivated me, honestly I'd rather play a 2nd playthrough of FFVIA which at the moment I'm doing. Square-enix are going down-hill and I'm afraid I probably won't be playing the next FF if it's anything like this.

Spec Highwind
03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't expect it to get better any time soon. It's not until around the 40 hour mark that the games plot really gets going and you have to use more than attack and heal in battles. Of course, it only really changes to "buff>attack>heal" etc but I digress.

Honestly, the only reason I continued playing the game to the end was the promise of a particularly entertaining final boss battle. I found it quite surprising that I wasn't disappointed.

I've been using Magick since the beggining of the game o.O

Not technicks, though...

ThroneofDravaris
03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I might have used offensive magic in a total of 5 battles the game, and each time it was either to confirm that magic still sucked or because the boss was immune to physical attacks. Ultimately, magic never did any more damage than physical attacks for me, so why would I use it over the attack command which has no MP cost and a much faster cool-down time?

As I said, white magic was the only magic I found irrefutable useful throughout the entire game. After the 40 hour mark, I used a few Green/Time magicks in order to make boss battles move a little faster.

Drake
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
ThroneofDravaris wrote:

It's not until around the 40 hour mark that the games plot really gets going and you have to use more than attack and heal in battles. Of course, it only really changes to "buff>attack>heal" etc but I digress.

But what about Espers and Quickenings? I only have one Quickening so far, but it seemed pretty damaging against that wall boss thing (can't remember the dungeon I fought it in).

ThroneofDravaris
03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Espers are pretty much useless. They don't do a great deal of damage and are a pain to keep alive in any situation where you might want one around.

There are so many problems with quickenings I can't believe I haven't mentioned it so far. Apart from being an incredibly moronic idea (being a through back to the days where you had to sit though obscenely long attack animations) their implementation within the game was awfully unbalanced. From the time you get them (probably somewhere around the Ghis battle) up until around Draklor Laboritory quickenings are game-breakingly powerful. As in, you can win boss fights just by shooting one of two off (very easy to do since you can change parties). After that though bosses will have too much HP for quickenings to cause a significant enough dent to justify an attack that uses all your MP. Sometimes I wonder whether they actually play-tested quickenings before they put them in the game.

Drake
04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Isn't Osmose (or something similar) in the game? In at least one FF game (FF X I think) it didn't cost any MP. Assuming this is true in XII, wouldn't that make Quickenings more useful? On another note, although I've mentioned my issues with combat and the game's camera angels, I actually don't have a problem with the story (so far) - haven't played it for a couple months or so. Sure, people could say it's not the most original, but what is anymore? Whether is games/books/TV/movies/whatever more or less every kind of story has been done before. It's hard to come up with something truly original. As long as I find a story to be interesting and have quality, I don't take issue with it.

ThroneofDravaris
04-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Isn't Osmose (or something similar) in the game? In at least one FF game (FF X I think) it didn't cost any MP. Assuming this is true in XII, wouldn't that make Quickenings more useful?
Osmose is in the game but it has an MP cost. I've never thought of actually using it, but based on previous games I can't imagine you will be able to draw a lot of MP back. I'll have to test it some time though.

There is a technique you can use to regain MP, but you'll generally have to use it about 3+ times to get back enough MP to start a quickening chain and if any attempt at using fails it sets the gauge back to zero.

Gackt Camui
04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
The only thing I really don't like about the game is that they took about turn base fighting style...that drives me bonkers! Other than that its okay...so far. I really haven't made it that far into the game to really say much

Phoenix Flame
04-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Isn't Osmose (or something similar) in the game?

I believe Osmose has been taken out of XII and replaced with the ability: Charge.

Zeon
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
yup has been replaced. i find FXII very fun. the battle system is original and the story, although not a first, is very good. the quickening system is good for ALL stages of the game. you just have to get good chains to do more damage (i.e use more the high lvl attacks) i love the LP system too. makes ability training easier. i could have everything unlocked ready for when i get to the next places. its useful. the espers (i.e. the "secret" ones) can be very useful for clearing through hunts and areas with hard enemys. many of the hunts are challenging to do. training is hard. it is a kick ass game. currently i am just before getting to arcadia and then onto the story beyond. i plan to defeat the ultimate monster whose name shall be left due to spoilers lol. GO SQUARE, piss off enix lol.

Zeon of the zeomatrix :P

Phoenix Flame
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Isn't Osmose (or something similar) in the game?

I believe Osmose has been taken out of XII and replaced with the ability: Charge.

Update/correction: Just wanted to say I goofed here - the ability Osmose was replaced with was Syphon...but Charge is still a good alternative. :o

XII has really, really grown on me. Moreso than X did. I loved X - then m3h feelings for it grew... but XII I honestly didn't really enjoy the first play-through. Now this time I'm going through the game and doing all the stuff I couldn't be bothered to do at the 110+ hours I put in the first playthrough - like unlocking/beating Omega, getting the Tournesol/Wyrmhero blade, etc. I'm even making a power-walkthrough here on FFNet - so yeah. I could say that this FF has the most lub growth-potential out of any that I've played.

dappa
05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I am starting to think that way too. Mainly to do with the exploring potential