PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

Doctor
04-03-2007, 03:51 AM
...Self-mutilation, whatever you want to call it. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but for right now, what do you think about it?

Right now, I'm not sure...I recently started doing it, though.

Yeah, I know I'm just being a kitty little emo, and if that's what you think, then it's fine. I merely just see it as a means to focus on something else other than the life I live through, other than my emotional pain.

But, enough about me. Just post what you think here. XP

Slider
04-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Eh?

That's jus like sayin: Hey dude, whaddaya think bout burnin urself?
it's a very stupid and desperate act in which the individual punishes himself, and it doesn't even make him feel good after that.
I don't think there's any mysteries around THAT!

Avathar
04-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Self-mutilation is completely retarded.

So yes, I'm quite against cutting yourself since it's potentially ridiculously lethal, if you're doing wrist-slashing, that is. Either way, cutting yourself anywhere on your body:

Surely, there MUST be other ways for making a feeling of relief, a sensation of escaping the daily stress, or for whatever reasons people do it.

ThroneofDravaris
04-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I couldn't care less what people do in their spare time. There is a chance of things ending really badly, but I don't see it as particularly less stupid then drinking yourself to the point where you almost OD or whatever. It only annoys me when emo/goth morons do it, because they tend to go out of their way to tell everyone the first opportunity they get.

blackstar
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Its ok Faust i understand if no one else wants to try and help by saying anything usefull i will continue this in a pm i dont want to discuss in a thread.

ThroneofDravaris
04-03-2007, 11:44 AM
What do you mean 'useful'? The topic is "Cutting", not "What do you think of me cutting myself?".

Slider
04-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Nothing personnal blackstar, but I challenge ya to bring anything useful out cutting urself

jus like smokin or drinkin or drugs.... IT'S NOT A REAL ANSWER!

Precise, this isn't ur body to abuse, u hafta respect it and take good care of it, no treat it like trash or a chicken neck!!!!

Yggdrasill
04-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Cutting yourself is really, really stupid mainly because it doesn't make you feel better at all.
Usually, people who cut themselves are the people who say "Oh! My life is so horrible!", I'm not saying your like that Faust, but that's usually the case.

I know this sounds very harsh but you have to just get on with your life and move on, because there's a lot of people out in the world who have much, much worse problems than you. =/

ThroneofDravaris
04-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Cutting yourself is really, really stupid mainly because it doesn't make you feel better at all.
Not entirely true. Cutting causes endorphins to be released in the brain which can result in brief bouts of euphoria, temporarily relieving mental anguish.

From a long term prospective though no, I doubt cutting is going to make someone feel better.

Luis
04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Damn Dr.Faust, what a hobby you chose!
You shouldn't harm your body on purpose. There's no reason in the world to do it.

Spec Highwind
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Self-mutilation is completely retarded.

Yggdrasill
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Not entirely true. Cutting causes endorphins to be released in the brain which can result in brief bouts of euphoria, temporarily relieving mental anguish.

From a long term prospective though no, I doubt cutting is going to make someone feel better.
Yeah, but it also causes physical damage to your body and cutting your wrists can even be fatal. (If you cut very deep that is.)
If your emotions are so bad that you have to cut yourself to relieve metal anguish then it's time to go to a psychiatrist. =P

Kat
04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
alright everyone,you really have no say,i doubt any of you know what its like to be this depressed,i myself however have cut myself before from being depressed.
i don't anymore,but i know what its like to feel that way!
and theres no need to just keep saying "its retarded" even though i know its not good!
its a little obvious isn't it?!
if you haven't anything helpful to say besides stuff like that,you shouldn't even post here.
now....how could i put this..
When you're depressed bad enough...your emotional pain is greater than your physical pain..so if you cut yourself you don't really feel anything..and your emotional feelings tell you it feels good.
if i could explain it better i would.

Slider
04-03-2007, 03:51 PM
alright everyone,you really have no say,i doubt any of you know what its like to be this depressed,i myself however have cut myself before from being depressed.
and theres no need to just keep saying "its retarded" even though i know its not good!
if you haven't anything helpful to say besides stuff like that,you shouldn't even post here.
When you're depressed bad enough...your emotional pain is greater than your physical pain..so if you cut yourself you don't really feel anything..and your emotional feelings tell you it feels good.

Ok, take it easy Kat i'm sure no one means sumtin personnal

now that u had personnal experience with this, did it help you at all? was it ur answer to bad feelings? if so why did you stop it?

I'd just appreciate ur explanation (point of view) why would someone do sumting so.... irelevant!

Spec Highwind
04-03-2007, 03:51 PM
And what about being strong and facing the problems?

I do that, you know?

Yggdrasill
04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
alright everyone,you really have no say,i doubt any of you know what its like to be this depressed.
I only know one of my parents but my emotional problems from that don't cause me to think of mutilating myself, what good would cutting myself do me? =P
I also figured; what's the point in acting depressed? Most people really don't care how I feel except my family and so I decided to just shove away the bad emotions, I'd rather feel happy around people than be depressed and be treated as an out-cast.

Kat
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, take it easy Kat i'm sure no one means sumtin personnal

now that u had personnal experience with this, did it help you at all? was it ur answer to bad feelings? if so why did you stop it?

I'd just appreciate ur explanation (point of view) why would someone do sumting so.... irelevant!im fine :p
i was a little ticked at another member for awhile there.
NEwayz:
no,it didn't help me..but i won't lie,it felt good.
no,it wasn't the answer to my feelings,and now that i think about it i never even found the answer to them.
@Spec-Some people just arn't strong enough to do that.
some problems are stronger than the person that faces them.

dirge_of_sephiroth
04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
A lot of my friends do or have done it. No, I'm not a little high school punk and neither are they. The biggest standout example of them is 33 actually. So it's not some fad type of thing here that people should be calling retarded. Not that it isn't mentally brought on in some cases, but It's part of something called borderline personality disorder. And it can be a real struggle not to self-multilate. I used to do it myself. But I was luckier than most others because even though I sometimes wish for that option, it's a very rare occasion at this point. My friends, which I've met through group therapy, some of them really have to fight. Through other groups and one on one counseling they've found techquniques and other things that help them through really bad times. Medication can also help. It's at least made me less vulnerable to severe depressions.

Hang in there, Faust. I think a lot of us are there for you.

Slider
04-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I only know one of my parents but my emotional problems from that don't cause me to think of mutilating myself

lol, yeah u wanna talk bout depression? i don know either of my parents until know, or any of my true family members of course

Luis
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd quote my post again. But I feel too lazy now XD
Then, there're many ways to say something. That's obvious. And I agree with Kat that someones didn't help much with it.
However, it sounds me something like a... hobby... when I read the first post. I mean, something like ' I'm into it, and I like it '.
If you are having problems, I don't think that will help much, but all the contrary. And 'being strong' may not always be as easy as typing it.
By the other hand, I've gotta say that comparing problems isn't a good idea. I mean, how big a problem is depends not only on the problem, but also on the person.
If you need some help, please ask for it, either to your friends/family or to a professional. Many people need sometimes someone that makes them see things more clear.
But for sure harming yourself won't help you.

I know it's not that easy, but if I can somehow help you, please feel free to PM me. =)

Yggdrasill
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
lol, yeah u wanna talk bout depression? i don know either of my parents until know, or any of my true family members of course
That means your depression should be greater than mine because?
Doesn't matter anyway, If that family member did happen to come back then he certainly wouldn't be welcome in my life anymore, I'd tell him to get out myself.

Spec Highwind
04-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not talking about anyone here in the forum, but...

Does anyone else think that lots of people like to say "My depression is greater than yours!"?

It's like if it is a good thing. o.O

Luis
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
By the other hand, I've gotta say that comparing problems isn't a good idea. I mean, how big a problem is depends not only on the problem, but also on the person.

Drake
04-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Doctor F I suggest stoping your self-mutilation because it'll lower your self-esteem and quite possibly leave scars. I'm speaking from own personal experiance. Haven't done any self cutting in a long time though.

blackstar
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
In my personal experience cutting is a mental help because if you are in pain emotionally ect. it is a pain you can control it makes you feel like its something you can control in a world that you cant. No it is not a long term solution and it is dangerous but it is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LAUGH ABOUT OR MAKE FUN OF. And that is what i saw happening and it really pissed me off. I understand where Faust is comming from and if one of your personal friends came to you and said what she did if you treated them the same way you did her i would not be suprised if it got worse.

ThroneofDravaris
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
No one has laughed nor made fun of him in this thread. Where are you getting this stuff from?

dirge_of_sephiroth
04-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Maybe it was the use of the term 'retarded'? Not that I'm picking a fight here, I'm just saying that it could be taken that way. I took the term as if it were coming from someone who merely didn't understand.

ShadowHeart
04-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Well noone called him retarded.. they said the act of self mutilation is retarded, but that's not the same thing. It's easy to say that I guess, but I'd think that people doing this are too depressed to care or realize. Also, shoving it in their faces, couldn't that possible make things worse actually?

Hydra
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm going where he posts, just to bold the intellectual that he is. =O

And Kat, not to make you mad, but get a grip.

Life can't be so bad that you find satisfaction by cutting yourself to make the pain go away. For a LITTLE WHILE, at that. It's completely stupid. Everyone gets depressed, moody, and have those times where they just wish they could die. Solving the depression for the moment and not long-term isn't a good thing to do.

(INSERT ADAM AND ANDREW LYRICS HERE)

Sorry, I had to do it. <.<; ^.^;;

Anyway, yeah. If you don't have the mental ability to fully deal with the problem now, and not pleasuring your mentality pleasures for the moment, then were's the self-esteem you get from cutting yourself? It just makes you feel good about yourself because of the stimulation it gives you from the time you do it.

It doesn't feel that way a few hours later. Your cuts scab over, and EVERYONE notices. Then you feel the urge to do it over and over, and you're mentally ashamed of yourself that you can't stop. Of course, you CAN stop, it just feels to good to at the time of need.

I say lay off it. There's a lot of ways to relieve stress and depression besides physically cutting yourself, and doing a hell of a lot of damage to everything about you. Go get a squeeze doll! Punch something! Kill an animal! Okay, maybe not that last one. I don't care WHAT you do. As long as you feel happy afterwards, and it didn't include self-mutilation, it's the way to go.

In other words, this wraps up what most other people said. XD

Luis
04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
There're lots of people with problems... all kind of problems. And sometimes you can't see further 'cuz the problem is in front of you, that's why I'd suggest again: ask for help when you need it! It may be hard to do it... but then it'll help you much more in the long term!

Now Jake... what was that about killing animals? O_o
XD

jedi geoff
04-04-2007, 07:14 PM
wow, you meet some pretty unique people in this place.....

but on the topic of cutting and all that, its a silly thing to do. Why hurt yourself?

Avathar
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
but I'd think that people doing this are too depressed to care or realize. Also, shoving it in their faces, couldn't that possible make things worse actually?

I think you just answered that question yourself there:

if most people who're cutting are too depressed to care or realize, would they realize the reactions other people'd give to them? But in any case, anyone could hardly call self-mutilation healthy, mentally or physically, like ThroneOfDravaris said: mentally it aids them, but those are then just brief moments of daily relief.

Then again, shoving it in their faces, well, if things do get too drastic, they need to get a drastic wake-up-call, facing them with what they're doing to themselves.

Drake
04-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to add that I only ever did a little bit of cutting. I suppose self-mutilation could be used to make yourself feel better, as mentioned in someone's earlier post (feeling to lazy to see who said it.) I mean it seems plausible seeing as how people can do so many other things that can help them emotionally.

Doctor
04-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Reading all of these responses has told me one thing; self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

I've already known this, and I know it IS retarded, and it IS a stupid and unreasonable thing to do when you're upset, but at the time when I first started, I felt as if I COULDN'T talk to anyone about my feelings and problems, that no one would listen or really understand, so I just took it out on myself.

I cut yesterday...and bled more badly than I had before. The pain, I realized, wasn't pleasant anymore; it was like hell, burning so much i had to clutch myself to dampen it. But the mixed feelings of physical and emotional pain are hard to deal with, and I was just so afraid, so very afraid...

And I sicken myself now, for at this very moment, i still want to cut. I want to do it again. I'm just disgusted with myself, after going through all of that pain in one night, that I want to go through with it AGAIN.

When people talk about depression, this sort of act is usually associated with it. So I wonder; why the f'ing hell can't I see that I can deal with my depression some other way? Why can't I take out my violent mood-swings on something else besides myself? (Not other people, of course.) Why can't I just constantly keep myself busy with something else? Why don't I go talk to an adult, a counselor or a shrink?

These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

People cut themselves for a number of reasons, but none of them are as obvious as the solutions presented for solving the problem. I believe that anyone who dos it has a certain reason that cannot be explained in full, even if it IS an obvious one (which contradicts what I just said, but, oh well.)

And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Some don't know why they are depressed, or why they are really doing it; their minds are just lost, and have no clear direction. Something triggered the urge to injure yourself, and you don't know what it was.

I'm not in that sort of situation, though; I just have pent-up feelings, about the people around me, my future, and everything else that affects/will affect my life, and I'm just so scared of it all. Godammit, I need to f***ing get a grip, and grow the hell up.

I realize everything, and I still want to cut. I'm so f***ing sick of myself, so disgusted with the way I'm acting...And I'm also disgusted that I turned this post into a "oh it's all about f'ing me" rant. God, all I was supposed to do was add another opinion on everyone else's opinions, because this topic is about the act of cutting ITSELF, not f'ing me.

I'm going to shut up now....

dirge_of_sephiroth
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
You know, Faust, I really think you should try getting help. I'm someone who knows about depression and all that first hand, so I'm not speaking out of some type of ignorance. And it is just advice (but good advice I think, of course). If you're worried about the money factor, it's not really a problem. I always thought it was and it was probably the main reason I suffered so long. Just so long as you go to a facility in your county, you should be able to get something under grant. You might just have a problem talking, I can understand that. It is hard. I just pray everything turns out all right for you.

Hydra
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Reading all of these responses has told me one thing; self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

I've already known this, and I know it IS retarded, and it IS a stupid and unreasonable thing to do when you're upset, but at the time when I first started, I felt as if I COULDN'T talk to anyone about my feelings and problems, that no one would listen or really understand, so I just took it out on myself.

I cut yesterday...and bled more badly than I had before. The pain, I realized, wasn't pleasant anymore; it was like hell, burning so much i had to clutch myself to dampen it. But the mixed feelings of physical and emotional pain are hard to deal with, and I was just so afraid, so very afraid...

And I sicken myself now, for at this very moment, i still want to cut. I want to do it again. I'm just disgusted with myself, after going through all of that pain in one night, that I want to go through with it AGAIN.

When people talk about depression, this sort of act is usually associated with it. So I wonder; why the f'ing hell can't I see that I can deal with my depression some other way? Why can't I take out my violent mood-swings on something else besides myself? (Not other people, of course.) Why can't I just constantly keep myself busy with something else? Why don't I go talk to an adult, a counselor or a shrink?

These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

People cut themselves for a number of reasons, but none of them are as obvious as the solutions presented for solving the problem. I believe that anyone who dos it has a certain reason that cannot be explained in full, even if it IS an obvious one (which contradicts what I just said, but, oh well.)

And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Some don't know why they are depressed, or why they are really doing it; their minds are just lost, and have no clear direction. Something triggered the urge to injure yourself, and you don't know what it was.

I'm not in that sort of situation, though; I just have pent-up feelings, about the people around me, my future, and everything else that affects/will affect my life, and I'm just so scared of it all. Godammit, I need to f***ing get a grip, and grow the hell up.

I realize everything, and I still want to cut. I'm so f***ing sick of myself, so disgusted with the way I'm acting...And I'm also disgusted that I turned this post into a "oh it's all about f'ing me" rant. God, all I was supposed to do was add another opinion on everyone else's opinions, because this topic is about the act of cutting ITSELF, not f'ing me.

I'm going to shut up now....
When I read the bolded part, I realized that you're in a pretty deep hole.

You probably feel like that even though you CAN seek therapy, you'll probably just get the urges anyway, right? It's not exactly a comfortable topic to discuss, is it? Even if it's not, you NEED to braven up.

But, you're right, you don't need to draw attention to yourself. So if you ever need anyone to talk to about anything, PM any one of us who is up for it.

So, anyway...

I have tried cutting myself before. But, y'know, I'm just a huggable care bear, so I never brought myself to go that deep. I got scared by the fact I was actually depressed enough to try it. Didn't really have that sarcastic, self-control mood I normally have. Depends on the problem, really. ^^

Doctor
04-09-2007, 12:58 AM
^ Well, I'm happy that you've never done it, Hydra. Don't ever try.

I read over my last post, and I realized that I said a lot of stupid things.

1: These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

Correction; I have talked to my closest friends about it, and they all told me to stop, and since thursday I have been able to refrain from doing it. But if I can, I HAVE decided to seek out some other help, most likely a counselor at school.

2: And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Correction; You can't really control the amount of pain you have to the extent that you aren't feeling it anymore--by the time that happens, you'd already be dead. And I noticed that, while I'm doing it, I still end up thinking about what makes me do it. But That's just me.

3: (In the beginning of my last post;) self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

Correction; Maybe not for the rest of your whole entire life. After all, you can live a pretty damn long time, and you may eventually just be having too good of a time to worry about it anymore. But, it's still a good, washed-up and used-too-many-times moral for this situation.

I wasn't thinking rationally (or in a more sophisticated manner, like I normally do,) and I got carried away...

But do know this, people; for those of you who have self-mutilated, never do it again, and for those of you who haven't, don't even try.

I could also easily say the same for alcohol, smoking, etc., but i won't try to be the boss of any of you over those things (I have had my share of having some times of underaged drinking. @_@ ) I'm just worried for all of you, now...I don't want anyone to have to suffer through any kind of pain, even though it is always inevitable...

Thanks, and please, continue, if you may. I won't rant on here anymore...(promise this time!)

blackstar
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Its fine Faust sometimes talking is just what you need to do and to everyone I argued with what do you say we just move on and forget we ever fought i dont really want to hold any bad feelings on this board.

Zerlina
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds like someone needs a girlfriend

Luis
04-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Do you?? :eek:
XD lolz

Glad to know you see the things more clear now...

It's not a good way to avoid problems, as well as drugs or alcohol aren't either.

blackstar
04-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Me or faust because i have one and faust is a girl :)

Vincent
04-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Well... when I'm really depressed... or I put myself in my own dark world alone... with no one... no sounds.. nothing... Or I stand and fight the problems, like... cutting is... I dunno how to explain it... Maybe a way to relief the stress (for me it's FPS ftw :D ) or sumthin... when u're depressed, just think of something... more depressing, rofl

And yes... I can be many times a depressive young man xD ask Spec, rofl

Kat
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Well... when I'm really depressed... or I put myself in my own dark world alone... with no one... no sounds.. nothing... Or I stand and fight the problems, like... cutting is... I dunno how to explain it... Maybe a way to relief the stress (for me it's FPS ftw :D ) or sumthin... when u're depressed, just think of something... more depressing, rofl

And yes... I can be many times a depressive young man xD ask Spec, roflXD
you're right though,lol.
I even do that,when im sad i'll just do stuff that makes me even...more sad.
why that is,I'll never know.

Spec Highwind
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
XD
you're right though,lol.
I even do that,when im sad i'll just do stuff that makes me even...more sad.
why that is,I'll never know.

Feel like killing someone? Play and FPS.
Feel like loving someone but no one likes you? Write poetry.
Feel like no one understands you? Go for a walk.
Feel like everything is falling and nothing is as it is supposed to be? Come to FFNet and spam with me =D

Kat
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Feel like killing someone? Play and FPS.
Feel like loving someone but no one likes you? Write poetry.
Feel like no one understands you? Go for a walk.
Feel like everything is falling and nothing is as it is supposed to be? Come to FFNet and spam with me =Dbest advice i've ever heard =D

blackstar
04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Agreed It acctually is really good advice because it tells someone something to do, when their down and it provides enough comedy but not too much to cheer them up that acctually is something really good to say to someone whos depressed. ;wel for spec

Gackt Camui
05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, well I know this girl that does it because she it bored. Or so she says. I am guessing that she does it because she doesn't get enough attention at home and is hoping that she can get it from people at school by doing so. But even if we do, she continues to do it. Not so much anymore, but you can see the scars.

Shinra Soldier 1
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I was in the kitchen once with a knife in my hand. I didnt' have any problems or anything, I just looked at my wrist and pressed the knife against it and thought "I wonder what it's like to cut yourself? I didn't though, but I think it's dumb, and ugly. Instead of focusing your pain on your body, let us help! I would be more than glad to discuss any problems with you, I'm completely open minded (i'm gonna be a cop one day, I kinda hafta be!) Just let me know if you wanna talk or anything