PDA

View Full Version : Level-up your life!

Phoenix Flame
06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok...now I know this may seem like an odd-topic and seemingly may not belong in the SD&D section...but I assure you I am very serious w/a semi-serious Title :p

Everyone who plays role-playing games knows the benefits of leveling. (ie: a level 50 character is stronger than a level 20 character.) Simply put - gaining levels is (typically) a good idea. ;hea ;a06

My reason for posting this topic is this:

WHAT IF PEOPLE TREATED THEIR LIVES THE SAME WAY?!?!

Now, here's where I'm going, if I sound a little wierd - please just follow me the best you can...

Its difficult where to put a level one person at...I suppose the best place you could (honestly) say a level one individual would be would be in the body of an infant - just born. One would have basic health, dexterity, you can pass gas, eat, etc. etc. XD

Fast-forward about 7 years...I would put the average level of a 7 year old at about...4 or 5. You know a LOT more than you did as an infant. You're weaned, (hopefully) o_O you can fend for yourself in the kitchen if mom and dad aren't looking. Your survivability increases.

Fast-forward again about 10 years. Graduation! = D From H.S. = O! Honestly - compared to where you could possibly go - although you've learned SOOOO much, I would put a 17 y/o at about a level 10-12.

Why am I making this rediculous statement?!?! Because I believe its the God's honest truth. I think if more people treated their lives...not just their schooling - like a RPG the impact would be huge. What would a level 50 YOU look like, talk like, feel like? What would a lvl 75's bank account look like??? Put-aside the hair-braindedness of it for a minute and conceive (if you can) people reading for the sake of learning and growing as individuals...instead of beause they like war novels or the poets or Shakespeare...Imagine people actually learning to defend themselves for reasons other-than combat - ok...maybeh that's a bad example >_> But still. I'm going to use myself as an example.

When I graduated H.S....honestly, I feel like I was like, level 8. I got a sub-par education - although I value certain aspects of it...but - on average I was about an 8. I couldn't write an opus, I couldn't navigate around the world, I couldn't tell you 10 of the players on the Chicago Cubs or NY Mets at that time....I was far below average at best. (Hey, I'm just being honest - not berrating myself.) Currently, I feel like I'm about level 12 or 13....I'll tell you why later.

What I want to know is...what do YOU feel your current level is...and WHAT KIND/HOW MUCH experience will it take for you to 'level-up!' I think it makes for an interesting way to look at the world. Instead of trying to 'get by' or 'survive one more day.' It's a unique spin on personal development.

....of course, you're always going to have people who go for a 'low-level challenge.' By that I mean they're not doing it on purpose. They just couldn't care less and it shows in they're attitude about life, the government, they're relationships... :( Do you know anyone like this?

Luis
06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, I like it! XD
I think the level thing is still a li'l messy though... O_o

But I've sure level'd-up during the last year: I had to deal with a 'special' flat-mate, I had to find a way out to get out of that place, I had to pass the exams (both in Germany and in Spain), I had to learn a new language, and to get on well with the people who went there with me.
Many people have told me that I have evolved...

Phoenix Flame
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Kewl...so what level would you say you're at? I have an idea...but I'm not telling you. :p

Luis
06-14-2007, 01:46 PM
The level thingy confuses me... XD

But well, I guess I'd be at level 20... (considering my OWN level rank, not yours XD )

Phoenix Flame
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
...of course - its your life. But actually I was thinking the exact same thing Luis...about your level I mean.

What don't you understand (or find to be confusing?) Feel free to post more ideas pweez. :o

Doctor
06-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Hmmm...I find this theory of yours to be a farly good one. If people thought about their lives the same way as if they were working hard enough to level up in a game, then the real world would be full of much more intelligent people, capable of leading the human race to a better future. I mean, if you worked hard while you wre still in school in order to raise your 'level', then by the time you gradutaed only high school, you could probably be a level 40. No kidding. Teenagers ARE perfectly good enough to get that far just through high school. And could you just imagine those same people after they graduate from college? It would be insane.

If we all worked hard enough, we'd all be geniuses, pretty much. :D Of course, the world can't be a perfect place. So life as in 'levels' is an interesting thought, but it' something that may be unachieveable.

Right now, in my short, short life-span, mentally-wise, I'm probably around level 25. At least, i would like to think so. >_> I don't know what it would take for me to leel up, exactly, though...I level up just by learining lessons about life, I suppose. I have, too, so it all works out. @@

Phoenix Flame
06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
Hmm...The human brain is not dissimilar than a sponge. Especially in younger years, humans learn extensively. Do you know how many languages a child can learn...as many as you'll teach them. The brain of a 30 year-old man is much more difficult to train - ESPECIALLY if he hasn't used it for 10 years since college. XD With all that there is to learn and know - a seemingly infinite availability of information out there....I have a difficult time believing that someone can reach a level 40 by H.S. Not that I'm invalidating your point...just that I have a hard time thinking that a person can reach a stage of emotional, spiritual, and physical maturity by that age.

However, with that being said - I don't think it's impossible. Just look at Japanese young people these days >__> Sheesh! Faust...may I ask what you've learned in life that makes you believe you are level 25? I'm asking from a learning standpoint - not a condescending one. I'm a student (can you tell) of personal development...so I would appreciate anyone's advice/knowledge.

kb-sama
06-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Hmmmm, kb would say he is at LV16, i mean i ACED high school...Hell,i was clam a few days ago when my mom tryed to kill herself rushed her to the ER shes ok now ,and i can fix SOMETHINGS only bad thing is my math rank,kb suck at math

Zeromus_X
06-15-2007, 03:05 AM
I would say that I am at about level 15 or so. Even though I've learned alot of things, I'm still terrible at communicating with people sometimes. And there are always more things to learn.

I would say that we 'level up' as we learn new things, mature, and become more successful, in regards to life in general.

Well, only 240 more levels to go.

Phoenix Flame
06-15-2007, 03:30 AM
So...you've got 255 levels, eh Zero? XD!

Sorry, I'm not trying to comment on everyone's posts as they post them. I did have this to add though: I've heard of this topic before but in a different context. You would rate your life in 6 different areas... *thinks hard* Family, finances and assets, Friends and other relationships, education, spirituality, and career. The author would ask you to arrange the categories around a circle with each category being equidistant from the center (remember geometry?) Now give yourself a rating from 1-10 (ours would be out of 99...or in Zero's case, 255) and that should give you some idea of where you stand in life. If your 'wheel' isn't round, what can you do in each area of life to 'level' that section. Doing this two years ago I came up with a highly unsatisfactory score...but that dissatisfaction motivated me to better my life and grow as a person. I'm happy to report that I've made progress! =^__^=

Here's what I think it will take for me to get to the next level.

- $6,000 (US) in liquid assets (savings)
- Read 3 GOOD books
- Visit a country outside of the US (and no, Canada doesn't count) XP
- Make an effort to improve the quality of my friendships/relationship w/my family.
- Change career paths...and begin focusing on my business.

Once these 5 things occur I'll be level 13 = 3

Spec Highwind
06-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm like level 6/7.

After these holidays I'll be level 7/8

dappa
06-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd say im at level 18 for mainly personal reasons.

But what if someone just levelled up to the maximum like in rpg's they'd be brainiacs.

Phoenix Flame
06-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Hmmm...isn't that a good thing?!?

Besides, they'll be elite in EVERY area of life...not just in the intelligence dept. :p

Doctor
06-16-2007, 03:23 AM
Hmm...The human brain is not dissimilar than a sponge. Especially in younger years, humans learn extensively. Do you know how many languages a child can learn...as many as you'll teach them. The brain of a 30 year-old man is much more difficult to train - ESPECIALLY if he hasn't used it for 10 years since college. XD With all that there is to learn and know - a seemingly infinite availability of information out there....I have a difficult time believing that someone can reach a level 40 by H.S. Not that I'm invalidating your point...just that I have a hard time thinking that a person can reach a stage of emotional, spiritual, and physical maturity by that age.

However, with that being said - I don't think it's impossible. Just look at Japanese young people these days >__> Sheesh! Faust...may I ask what you've learned in life that makes you believe you are level 25? I'm asking from a learning standpoint - not a condescending one. I'm a student (can you tell) of personal development...so I would appreciate anyone's advice/knowledge.

Eh, maybe I was overexaggerating. Intellect-wise, I always THOUGHT that I was at a high level, but it depends on other people's point of view. Schools and some people think that you can measure how smart a person is by using standardized tests, and I.Q. exams--but that's just bullshit. You can't possibly measure a person's mental capabilities, or how smart they are just by testing. Not even by how a person behaves can you figure that out, nor is it how exactly they contribute to their own life and others, or how well they get along with people...you would even start to think that there IS no way to truly measure a person's true brilliance. But people do make displays of that certain genius, no matter what it is, and they show us that way.

Now, emotionally-wise and just life-wise in general, I'm sure that I've got a long ways to go...I honestly have no idea where I'm at, really. I leave it up to other people to decide for themselves how smart I am, intellectually, spiritually, etc.

Phoenix Flame
06-16-2007, 03:55 AM
...leave it up to other people to debate...but give yourself the freedom to choose how far you'll go in life.

Doctor
06-16-2007, 04:20 AM
...leave it up to other people to debate...but give yourself the freedom to choose how far you'll go in life.

That's some good advice, there...not sure how that works out for me, but everyone else should think about that; definetly.

Luis
06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Somehow, the more I 'level-up' the more I feel the urge to keep levelling-up. The more you level up, the more you find there is many people "at those levels"... So, thus the need to keep growing.
I mean... just levelling-up will show you your limits... there's no other way to know them.

Doctor
07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Somehow, the more I 'level-up' the more I feel the urge to keep levelling-up. The more you level up, the more you find there is many people "at those levels"... So, thus the need to keep growing.
I mean... just levelling-up will show you your limits... there's no other way to know them.

Yes. Intellectually, you can feel proud to know other people at least as halfway-decently smart as you are, and then you can keep on going even from there. :3 Another good point made.

Phoenix Flame
07-21-2007, 02:58 AM
;hai Luis is great! ^ ^

As I was telling him...I've come to realize a LOT about my life lately. Most of it is simply because of being EMO and thinking WAI too much. :p So, as you suggested Luis - I'm not gonna psychoanalyze my life. I'm just going to find out the next thing I'm supposed to do - and do it - to the best of my ability, learn from my mistakes along the way, reflect and chart MY course. As I've mentioned passively to Faust - I don't want to be a victim of other's opinions/sways/taunts/decisions.

By the other hand, (as Luis would say :p) I don't want to victimize myself either. o_O What do I mean by that? Its been said numerous times in the personal development field that 'You are what you think.' There's even a book with that exact title. ^ ^ So by victimizing myself I mean that there's thinking that I need to identify and change so I can overcome where I am. Its also been said that "If someone gives you a million dollars - best you become a millionaire quickly." Same fundamental idea - if you give a broke person $1 Million, pretty soon they'll probably have it all spent...look at a lot of the lotto winners. o_o

Umm...so I'll keep you guys updated??? :o

Hydra
07-23-2007, 01:32 AM
XD;

I've always read this topic and not posted in it.

Oh, I know why. I never figured out what level I was. O_O;

Silly me. ^^;

Phoenix Flame
07-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Would you be opposed to speculation? O_O

I speculate (based-off our friendship) that you are about lvl. 14 or 15. What do you think about that?

Hydra
07-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Good enough for me.

And do you (or anyone else, for that matter who's talked to me personally on FFNet) have any ideas on how I can level up?

I have a general layout on how I need to, but I just want your ideas before I decide to take action and start leveling. :3

Phoenix Flame
07-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Focus on your strengths.

Find out what your gifts are - seek opportunities to use them.

Read a LOT (which I already know you love to do.) <3

Keep a dictionary with you/on your phone is a good idea too.

Write down your goals and look at them ever day.

If you haven't done so for a while - begin setting aside time to plan-->do-->review. Time set aside to 'recalibrate' your life is good too...completely alone, your thoughs, a pen and paper.

Ask God to guide you.

Don't neglect your relationships or alienate people.

Onthe other hand, seek people who can mentor you...no one who's ever been successful did so in utter isolation or without the help of several people (mastermind group.)

...good for starters? o_O

Hydra
07-24-2007, 02:57 PM
A lot of that I already do, but eh, it's a good start. XD;

At least now I have some things to do I've never thought of before. Thanks.

Spec Highwind
07-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I want a level-rater =o

And I want to know how much experience I need TNL

Judge Magister
07-30-2007, 01:59 AM
*Raises hand* I have a question. Is there, like, bonus dungeons or boss battles (like opting to fight Ultimate Weapon in FFVII) in this "Life RPG?" I'm in Iraq fighting terrorists, so do I get bonus XP or GIL? Also, are there continues *crosses fingers*?

Phoenix Flame
07-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Hmmm... I bet you ARE gaining bonus experience: so congradulations.........and thanks!

Oh, oh! There are NO continues....just the Farplane. :p

Hydra
08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
No continues?

Dang. I think I'm in the danger zone nao. Someone lend me a potion.. XD;

But seriously. I haven't leveled up in a while, and the monsters keep getting harder. Any help on this? Does anyone wanna be the super strong fifth party member?! =O

Shinra Soldier 1
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Hmm, I'm going to choose a level scale from 1 to 50. Me, being a 19 year old high school graduate, college student (law enforcement technology), coach, karate student, and going through all the things in my life, I would have to say i'm about a level 15. I know there is a lot more ahead of me, but i feel the chunk of my life whre I become who I will be the rest of my life is next to (and behind) me at this point.

Phoenix Flame
09-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Hmm, I'm going to choose a level scale from 1 to 50. Me, being a 19 year old high school graduate, college student (law enforcement technology), coach, karate student, and going through all the things in my life, I would have to say i'm about a level 15. I know there is a lot more ahead of me, but i feel the chunk of my life whre I become who I will be the rest of my life is next to (and behind) me at this point.

Lemme see, you're 19, on level 15/50 possible, and feel like a/the major portion of your development has already passed...

0.0!

...does that mean that you're only planning on living to be 63? o_O

Phoenix Flame
09-27-2007, 06:24 AM
*Level-up music plays*

I'm level 15 now!!! ^,^

I jumped two levels in one month, amazing. And actually, that $6,000 in the bank stuff I said earlier is crap! Why wait until you have the thing to get the power? The conversation that you have with yourself is a LOT more important than any convo you can have with a negative person. Learn who you are and why you're here. OWN that. Go out and do the thing and you'll have the power. Wheeeee!!! Napoleon Hill is great! ^^

clief101_
09-27-2007, 06:49 AM
i think lvl 15 is too low and stuff coz it wuld literally b impossable to get to 99...or even 30 really...the way that u talk about lvl'ing up is good, but in a way it isnt...i mean a person doesnt have to achieve every1 elses goals because it may not b an aspect of there life...i mean, some people and very spiritually connected because they dont want to be, and some people arnt very interllect because they dont wanna b, do u get what i mean

i think ppl shuld lvl up 4 being who they are and growning as a person, not a guided system coz sum ppl wuld b stuck on lvl3 4eva...but thats jus my opinion...i wauld rate myslef at about lvl 27

Phoenix Flame
09-27-2007, 06:58 AM
That's an interesting way to think about it...

Me, I think that its all up to the person too. The spokes on a wheel system is just a base way of looking at your life, similar to the way a financial advisor would take a snapshot of your assets and compare that with where you want to go in life x time.

If you are on 27/99, what makes you think that way? are you almost 1/3rd of the person you want to become and be remembered for? What will your tombstone read? What will people say about you at your memorial service?

...that's a good way of beginning to think about your life in a 'snapshot' sort-of way. If you can honestly answer that you are 1/3rd of the way to who you want to become, I would say that your dreams are too small...but that's just a personal opinion.

Leon
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I like the idea of setting small goals in life that grow harder as you surpass them (namely leveling up!) but with the difference that in real life, if you lack determination and training you'll lose your skills (namely leveling down) no matter what it is that you excel at.

I do that myself in certain situations, but I wouldn't name a level for myself. Why, would take a 1'000 lines to explain, so..... It'd be less trouble if you tried to understand with your emotions and heart, perhaps you'll get me

Doctor
10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I like the idea of setting small goals in life that grow harder as you surpass them (namely leveling up!) but with the difference that in real life, if you lack determination and training you'll lose your skills (namely leveling down) no matter what it is that you excel at.

I do that myself in certain situations, but I wouldn't name a level for myself. Why, would take a 1'000 lines to explain, so..... It'd be less trouble if you tried to understand with your emotions and heart, perhaps you'll get me

Indeed. It would be MUCH much less trouble.

Hm, I suppose I've leveled up once or twice in the past couple of weeks...lots of troubles happening with me and my friends, and someone very special to me is going away soon...off for a year to get skills training for a career he wants to pursue. I'm going to miss him with all my heart, and if I can get through the pain of him going away, I'm sure I'll get at least some experience points, if not a level up. X3

I'm slowly starting to try and make myself into a better person. I'd rather not go into a whole lot of detail, however, because I don't exactly feel like revealing my whole life out to the forum. <<; But anyway, if I can achieve what I've set out to do, I'll be guaranteed yet another level up. =3

Phoenix Flame
10-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Life's moving so quickly...

I'm on level 16. Been changing a lot... I'm beginning to comprehend what Paul wrote about in the book of Romans.

...such a struggle. For us all...but especially for Christians methinks. Not because we're better - but the opposite. I'm beginning to understand what a wretch I truely am 'n how much I've done to compromise exactly what I want in life. Finally, I'm beginning to truely let the past stay where it is and press on towards the goal.

Hydra
12-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm an awfully slow leveler. XD

I'd say I'm about level 17-18 now.

And I'd have to say, the more you level, the harder it gets. But that's expected. :3

Leveling is hard due to a few "Status Ailments" lately, but just slap a "Remedy*coughPersonalTitlecough* " on me, and I'll be fine.

TIME TO GO MASS PRODUCING. :3

But seriously. It's getting harder and harder to level up as we go on. Of course we can do it, but imagine how tough it'll be once we reach past the twenties, and so on.

Phoenix Flame
01-25-2008, 02:14 AM
A little bit at a time...and, when possible, a little every day goes a long way. XD

If you're not moving forward...where are you going?! o_O

John Smith
02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I want a level-rater =o

And I want to know how much experience I need TNL

May I have a rater too? I'm too bad at evaluating myself. :p

white mage
02-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I am too. Im liek 14, and Id rate myself as like a 12. I dont have a particularly high opinion of meself. >.>

Phoenix Flame
02-15-2008, 05:55 AM
May I have a rater too? I'm too bad at evaluating myself. :p

I was really bad at evaluating myself to begin with also...because I'd never done it prior to brainstorming like this.

The way I found was the best way to do it was take each area of life; (some people may have more 'stats' than others depending on their outlook on life/belief system) once you have the areas figured out, its as easy as looking at what you want your life to add-up to and comparing that to where you are at in life RIGHT NOW. This will give you an idea of how far you've yet to travel.

TIP: Think BIG! ^ ^;