PDA

View Full Version : Quickenings and Espers thread

Max the Man
11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I am not very far, as far as I know, into FFXII. I'm currently wandering around the Ozmone Plains trying to level up past level 30 before I venture into the Henne Mines. I have 2 quickenings and one Esper. And I was wondering... who here uses Quickenings? I've only got 2, Feral Strike and Fulminating Darkness, and then Ashe I've given Belias (cause it made sense to me XDDD) so I was curious... who in your party has quickenings and espers?

Zeromus_X
11-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Ashe, Basch, and Fran all have three Quickenings. The rest of the party members have one Quickening so I can use them as mist catalysts in battle if I need to finish of a boss or something. Ashe has Belias and Mateus (the legacies of Raithwall), and Fran has Shemhazai. I plan on giving Basch Zeromus when I finally obtain him.

I haven't been paying attention to most of the Espers though. xD For Zeromus, I just couldn't kill him, because he stops everyone from using magic, so I had to rely on X-Potions and he summons six Dark Lords and grargh. I'll have to try again some other time.

Staircase
11-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Dont worry about the henne mines too much. I'm level 23 and i just finished the mines with ease.

For me, i have everybody with 2 quickenings and i have one esper. I never use him though, i find quickenings much more useful.

darkshadow2247
11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Everyone in my party has two Quickenings and Basch has my only Esper. I battle ordinarily with my characters. When a boss begins to use more powerful attacks (usually after half of their HP is depleted) I break out my first chain of Quickenings. I usually get an 8+ combo. This takes most of the HP away from the boss.

If I happen to screw up my Quickening combo, I pull out Basch and summon Belias. I fight with them until either of them dies. Then, if my potions or MP get low (low as in almost not enough to preform a Rank I Quickening) I use the Quickening combos.

If I screw that up, then I pull out an ether to heal my party leader's MP. Then I take off his/her magick gambits and attack to charge MP (I have the augmentation licenses to gain MP as I take/give damage) and use my Quickenings again. I'll usually be able to pull a 4+ combo through Mist Charges.

This has worked for me everytime (my characters are 26, 28, 27, 28, 27, 26) including in the Henne Mines.

Phoenix Flame
11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm at Arcades - at 31 hrs. Every character has 3 MQs and 0 espers right now. I don't see me using them much until later in the game (maybe.)

darkshadow2247
11-28-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm at Arcades - at 31 hrs. Every character has 3 MQs and 0 espers right now. I don't see me using them much until later in the game (maybe.)
I don't know about using Espers as a main source of attacking, but I do thing they are good for absorbing damage. You can let your Esper attack a boss and you can cast cure on it. Keep running around the arena as well as attacking the boss for MP charging. It's slow, but it does a considerable amount of damage.

Spiff
11-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I got all my Quickenings as soon as possible, and use them all the time. Espers haven't been very good to me, they usually die quickly.

Max the Man
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Gah... my friend said that all the monsters were lvl 36 or above.. *stabs him*

mel
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I have all espers but zodiark almost all the marks except Behetmoth king,fafnir,lindwyrm,and . almost all the hunts and i did every event but the rare fishing rod. and im at the last part of the game I'm trieing to fisnish everything up b4 i beat the last part. my top three strongest characters are lvl 65-70 and my weakest 55-60. I also have all the quickenings and almost all the license blocks.

Doctor
12-13-2006, 02:10 AM
I am currently past Archades, on my way to the Feywood...

All of my characters have 2 quickenings except for Fran (she only has 1.) It's hard to get to a quickening when you have to buy liscences for bunch of other stuff you don't even want to use...

I only have 2 espers. >_> but I find them to be quite useless...unless I happen to find a powerful one...

Vann is level 41, and the rest of my characters are leveled in their 30's (I'm trying to catch them up)

Rezanon
12-20-2006, 03:55 AM
I am at level 23 and I have all three quickenings on Basch, Fran, Balthier, and Vaan. Ashe and Penelo have two. Ashe has Belias, although I rarely use him. I am heading into the Stilshrine. I am about to go kill the trickster. I have been doing most of my marks. The trickster isn't hard at all. I took a stab at him without Larsa in my party and got him down to at least 10% health. He Choco-Comet-ed me though. I am going to go back and Quicken his ass. I get up to 15-chain at max and average at about 12, so I pretty much mess him up.

Phoenix Flame
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm having trouble w/Zodiark. Anyone own him yet? Got a strategy? I've searched gamefaqs and don't like the idea of having to get 3 black masks (besides, Darkja KO's your characters randomly anyway so I don't see the point.) I'm on level 90 w/three characters and around 65 with other three. Using Bubble belts, zodiac spear, save the queen and Ultima sword. He keeps putting up that stupid perfect barrier and I die before it goes down.

Kat
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
i have just a small question out of curiosity,how many espers can you obtain in the game?

Phoenix Flame
04-09-2007, 04:17 AM
13 I think Kat. Umm... Is there RLY a use for the damn espers?

I didn't use them at all the whole game through. Did anyone else find times they were particularly helpful? :confused:

Hydra
04-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Just using Belias when you first obtain him. To knock away the weaklings, since you're probably one yourself that early in the game. =O

Kat
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
13 I think Kat. Umm... Is there RLY a use for the damn espers?

I didn't use them at all the whole game through. Did anyone else find times they were particularly helpful? :confused:*rawr*
i was just curious jeez =\
but you HAVE ro use Belias at least once in the whole game or you won't beat it :p

Phoenix Flame
04-15-2007, 02:57 AM
I wasn't knockin you! I was just saying...

And when do you HAVE to use em? :confused:

Kat
04-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I wasn't knockin you! I was just saying...

And when do you HAVE to use em? :confused:when do you use the espers?
or when do you use Belias?
the only time i ever used him was to open the gate to Giruvegan..but other wise i never do use my espers.

Phoenix Flame
04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
when do you use the espers?
or when do you use Belias?
the only time i ever used him was to open the gate to Giruvegan..but other wise i never do use my espers.

Yeah! I did that last night. I forgot about that Gigas gate. I didn't even have him licensed to anyone... or any Esper for that matter = O

Kat
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah! I did that last night. I forgot about that Gigas gate. I didn't even have him licensed to anyone... or any Esper for that matter = OO_O
jeez,lol!
i did that as soon as i got them :p
all my license boards are maxed out now though....=D

Phoenix Flame
04-27-2007, 12:45 AM
I waited my first time through till I saw how they looked/what they did when you summoned them...then I waited some more. :p

Really - the only one I liked and used my first play through was Zalera - the Death Seraph!

Rock on! w00t!

Kat
04-29-2007, 05:35 PM
o.o
Zalera is my favorite esper!
=o
burglar!
:p
j/k

but i like Mateaus just as much ^_^

Phoenix Flame
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I like Kat... ()_() I wish SHE were an esper... I'd summon j00!!! <3

zen la
07-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Quickenings are a great attack if you can chain them whats your biggest chain i got 13 and then an attack i cant remember the name something to do with wind did like 20k damage thats the most ive had so far!, is correct i should only have 1 esper when you reach the jungle?

Phoenix Flame
07-14-2007, 07:04 AM
>< I HATE MQs - they are a waste of good MP IMO. I'd rather duke it out with an enemy until they drop...although they can be useful rarely *cough* Zodiark *cough cough* = D

Actually - you can obtain up to three more if you are leveled enough...

One can be fought in the Barheim Passage.

One can be fought in Rabanastre - in the sewers.

The last one can be fought in the Zertinan Caverns.

;) Don't fight the Rabanastre one unless you're ready for some bad statuses. I'd wait until you get the bubble spell/bubble belts until you fight em.

Doctor
07-15-2007, 03:04 AM
I use my Espers whenever I get too swarmed by enemies. They can be useful depending on how you play the game. I try to use everything I have at my disposal to the advantage, even if it seems like I don't really need anything in particular.

I LOVE Quickenings. They are not only useful, they are NECESSARY. I have found it near impossible to defeat some enemies without weakening them with a powerful Quickening chain. (The Mandragoras boss fight is a good example. Hard as hell unless you're at a reasonable level, say in your late 30's early 40's...maybe. Those little annoying bastards. XDD ) And on top of that, Quickenings are awesome to watch. XD But you need GOOD, and I mean GOOD reflexes to build up a high chain...the highest I've ever gotten was 10 attacks, I think...I'm pretty slow. @@

ThroneofDravaris
07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
copy/paste of a post of mine on another forum:

Quickenings are ridiuclously game-breakingly powerful if used correctly. I was able to take out most of the story bosses purely with quickening chains once I had learned the vast majority of them.

The best way to use them effectively is to make sure you keep all 6 of the characters at around the same level as you play. When you get into a boss battle, unload a quickening chain in the usual manner while trying to get as many hits in as possible. Once it's over, trade out one character with a fresh one, and start another chain with that character. Due to the way the system operates, the other character still randomly receive mist charges even after their MP has been depleted, so you should be able to build up another chain of very similar length to that of a party with full MP.

Rinse and repeat for the other two reserved characters and you'll have set off 4 quickening chains. As long as you build them all to at least an average length (which, statistically speaking, you should) there isn't a whole lot that can stand against it (once again, in the story section of the game. Marks will mop the floor with you if you try this stratagy).

Summons, however, I found as useless as most other people.

zen la
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I think there is skill to this but its pretty much impossible to do the chain when you get to about 15/16 hits thats the most ive had any body had more?

ThroneofDravaris
07-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I was able to build it up to about 21 hits once. The most I've ever gotten against a boss was only about 17 though.

dappa
07-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I bet that caused a lot of damage to the enemy, I'm rubbish at chains and I think the most I've done so far is about 6

Zeromus_X
07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
I think my highest was about 20 or so. I don't know how all these crazy people get up to 50 (they probably use the lowest level Quickenings at first so the guage doesn't deplete so fast). I did get a 15 hit chain with just two characters before though.

Phoenix Flame
07-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Isn't anything beyond...like....21-25 impossible??? The gauge goes down so fast it's almost impossible to hit 'Mist Charge' and then the next quickening in time after you get that far up there. I haven't seen anyone do beyond 21 yet.

Zeromus_X
07-17-2007, 03:00 AM
There must be some secret the experts know about. Heck, I just wish I get to see Black Hole in this lifetime. xD 99 hits is the maximum, of course that's physically impossible for any person to do without cheating.

zen la
07-17-2007, 03:10 AM
20 odd thousand it did for me and im only at jahara

Phoenix Flame
07-17-2007, 04:11 AM
It only does a max of about 60K Dmg...as much as Dark Matter. :p

If you really want to see Black Hole, Watch Darkja - its the same thing, only with an esper in the middle of it.....oh - and its AT your party,...instead of FROM your party. = P

clief101_
08-08-2007, 12:59 AM
ive dun 60K dmage using Quickenings and ive never seen Dark Hole...da best 1 ive seen is Luminesence, da holy 1...biggest chain i got is 19 and i always use my lvl 3 1's first...ive never changed vaan outa my party (even tho he's a panzy, i jus c him as a main character, and i cant play a ff wifout 1 character being in my party all the time)...im and pharos i think its called, havnt played it in bout 2 months and vann is lvl 62, every1 else is bout 47-49...ive done almost all the marks i can at the point of the game im at, but i cant get any good weapons coz i stuffed up to much while playing early in the game...i think ive got 6 espers, so im jus goin round gettin all the 1's i can...not really that hard in my opinion...ive used quickenings against every boss at the start of the battle and killed him instantly every time...took me 4eva to get exodus, i dunno if i wanna try zeromus, i'll get pwnd

Kat
08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
hmm.
i NEVER use my espers.
=\
i find them useless-they're just pretty to look at.

Hydra
08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
o_o

21 is my quickening limit too. XD;

dappa
08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I have two espers, I dont use them very much but tend to bring them out when I am swamped with enemies and my party is hurting.

I like to summon them from time to time just so I get to see them.

Is the strength of an esper linked to the stats of the character who summoned it? I'd love to know the answer to that one.

Phoenix Flame
08-17-2007, 04:16 AM
...in a way.

Its true that the strength of any Esper is tied to the strength of the summoner...but unlike FFX - these are specific only to levels. If Vaan summons Belias (for example) and Vaan is level 30 then Belias will also be level 30. The HP/MP/stats are all linear in this way - much as you cannot effect how your characters HP/MP/stats increase as they level (which blows IMO) you cannot effect how your Espers stats increase either. = P~

dappa
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
That answers my question. Thanks

My Adramelech made short work of the Gil Snapper. My Vaan summoned him and he is at level 50

Is there an esper hidden in the Garasmythe waterway? I cant seem to figure out how to drain that final section right at the back of the waterway.

Phoenix Flame
08-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Actually...there is.

Although I'd advise against going up against him until you have the Bubble Belts and Curaja. He can mop the floor w/a poorly equiped party - even at higher levels unless you know what to expect.