PDA

View Full Version : do you use a guide?

Zeromus_X
09-03-2005, 02:30 AM
do you use a strategy guide or online faq when you play a game? or do you try to beat it by yourself? i usually use a guide the first time i play a game, then , every other time i play that game, i already know what to do! :) however, i respect anyone who can complete an ff game without a guide...some of those puzzles make me wonder how anyone gets by it without one! :p

Arkacia
09-03-2005, 02:59 AM
With RPGs I do try to get through it on my own the first time, unless I get stuck. Then I will use a guide but only to get past where I am stuck.

After I've got through the game the first time, I do usually read a walkthrough to see what I missed. Then play again doing all the side quests ect.

Max the Man
09-03-2005, 01:45 PM
most of the time I go through the game myself, but If I get really stuck, I use rpgclassics or gamefaqs

Lionheart250
09-03-2005, 05:31 PM
do you use a strategy guide or online faq when you play a game? or do you try to beat it by yourself? i usually use a guide the first time i play a game, then , every other time i play that game, i already know what to do! :) however, i respect anyone who can complete an ff game without a guide...some of those puzzles make me wonder how anyone gets by it without one! :p
Uh, never, unless the second or third time, because maybe you forgot, and also we only use it when were having lock codes or secret stuff from GameFaQs.
But we usually never use a guide though.....:D :p

Spiff
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I consider that cheating, although on the second time or after that's just help. :)

Luis
09-04-2005, 06:52 AM
I prefer playing the game without the guide at least the first time. Curiosity can make me read things that I shouldn't be supposed to(in the plot) and I hate it. I completed Final Fantasy IX without a guide. The only tricks I used for Final Fantasy VII were those that allowed me to get Yuffie and Vincent. Second time I played it I used more the guide, so I could get the Huge Materia in the rocket, as in last time I couldn't! :p
And for Final Fantasy VIII I used it for increasing Squall Seed level. The second time I used it for getting those Guardian Forces I missed(the one of the train, for example)
To sum up, I rarely use a guide the first time I play a game. I don't like guides telling me what's going to happen, at least first time. I usually use it when I play the game again.

Xartex
09-04-2005, 07:20 AM
i usually try to play the first time without a guide, unless i get stuck, but then i just quickly read that part and then don't look at the guide unless i get stuck again...

ShadowHeart
09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I used a guide for FFVII my first time through, some 8 years ago almost, I'm ashamed of that :( I have never used a guide for an RPG on my first time through since then though, but I use guides and FAQs like there is no tomorrow on my 2nd time through a game :)

Lionheart250
09-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I consider that cheating, although on the second time or after that's just help. :)
We also used a guide for the FFX Trails Temples(Zanarkand Ruins Trails Temple(get Bahamut),Besaid Trails Temple(Get Valfor),Doomsday(the place where you start out and find Rikku and also you fight the sea monster,Get Anima after all 6 Trails Temple Complete)The Summoner Temple Trails Temple(get Ifrit),Alexandria Tower Trails Temple(get Ixion),The Final Place were you fight Gergiomia(get Magus Sisters).
But sense this is about FF7 its not cheating, in any game its not cheating, unless your using something that is illegal..... :D :p

richboywonder
07-22-2006, 04:38 AM
when i first bought ff4 i didn't read anything i went straight to the faqs.lol.i got through the whole game by looking in the computer.lol.i can't do anything by myself.lol.

darkshadow2247
07-22-2006, 02:07 PM
i always go the first time around without a strategy guide. if i wasn't satisfied with my results, then i go it again. by the third time, i usually use a strategy guide to thoroughly beat the game

Avathar
07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Same here. First time I'll play it without a guide, but second time with a walkthrough, to find the things to complete the game 100 %, with all the sidequests and all. :rolleyes:

Spirit
07-23-2006, 10:45 AM
i like to beat the game without the guide until the 2nd or 3rd walkthough

Seyluv
07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
No way, I never in my life. I will never even waste money on that.

Zeromus_X
07-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Who says you have to spend money? :) (http://www.gamefaqs.com)

Seyluv
07-24-2006, 01:54 AM
But still I don't using them.

SephirogaUltimecia
07-25-2006, 05:25 AM
i played them all without the guides first, than i go back and get everything that i missed with a guide

dappa
09-18-2006, 10:45 AM
I played ff7 twice without the guide then after that I got a guide and memorized it. I can remember it all now each time I play ff7. I have a guide for ff9 too but its the official one and not very good

Garnet_Dagger
09-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I use the guides or go online to look something up. I do read ahead and stuff to know what I'm up against so I can prepere myself. I cant stand losing a boss battle then have to go through puzzles and crap all over again.