PDA

View Full Version : my rpg favs

Zeromus_X
09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
other than ffs, these are other rpgs that i think should be considered legends...

dragon quest: (you may have heard of it ^^ ) DQ was and rpg made by enix, now "square enix" . it is very popular in japan. (and alot of other places too!) DQ 8 is coming out for ps2 soon, (here in US) ...now if only i had a ps2 :D
DQ always seems to maintain a classic feel, of dragons and demon lords and damsels in distress...(thats alliteration, right? ^^; ) DQ 1-4 were released in america as "dragon warrior", with nintendo of americas strict guidelines, of course. DQ 5 and 6 were for the super famicom(SNES) 7 for ps1, and recently 8 for ps2. with art by akira toriyama, you just have to love it!

mother: (mother 1 was for the NES. it wasnt released in US. mother 2 was released in US as "earthbound") mother isnt like most rpgs, where knights and crystals and demons and such... the main heroes are 4 young children! with weapons such as baseball bats and toys...and food for healing items! shigesato itoi is the creator of this wonderful series! there are also little messeges in the story, ya know, innocence, everyones good n evil, etc. unfortunately, unless youre in japan, you probably cant get mother 1, without the demiforce rom, "earthbound zero". even more unfortunate, there have been no more mother games announced, save the one years ago, planned for N64, which was cancelled.

chrono trigger: oh, you can find ffnut's posts somewhere ^^

Sa Ga: released as "final fantasy legend" for the game boy in the US. uses a leveling system like ff2 for famicom. saga 1-3 for gameboy. 4-6 for snes, in japan , i believe. and others for playstation, where they changed them back to saga, probably because square wasnt with nintendo :confused:

i will add more as soon as i think of good paragraphs...sounds like an essay, doesnt it? now if i could put this much effort into schoolwork...when chocobos fly!! wait a minute... :p

note: please note, im an old school rpg fan, thats why so many of these may be for the nes and snes, the latter which i believe to have some of the best rpgs ever made, IMO. sadly, that was back when americans werent all into rpgs, save dedicated fans like me ;) hopefully, the rest of the wonderful world got lucky, and got the cool rpgs un edited...i envy you ^^)

and yet another note: why wont it let me use alot of smilies? theyre so neat..then again, i guess itd be spam if they let people use a million smilies per post...

ShadowHeart
09-21-2005, 03:56 AM
This goes in the Other Video Games forum, not RPG Discussion forum (that's more for real role playing, not RPGs you play on a console, as far as I understand). Hope you don't mind my moving it :)

Rorschach
09-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Nice job :)

My other favs:
1. Might and Magic Series (3do)
2.Dungeon Siege 1/2 (more of an action RPG, Chris Taylor/Gas Powered Games)

Thats pretty much it, I don't have a PS so no chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest :(

Zeromus_X
09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
well...of course...there are other ways...not exactly "legal" ways... :cool: :D lol

Squall Leonhart
01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
So here do you just list your favorite RPGs?

1. Final Fantasy 8 :cool:
2. Final Fantasy Tactics :cool:
3. Final Fantasy 7 :cool:

Zeromus_X
01-04-2006, 02:31 AM
well i was making a list of what i thought were generally accepted as being great rpgs, and some of my own favorites. (along with a short analysis of 'em), but you can do that if ya want. :)

Squall Leonhart
01-21-2006, 12:13 AM
and...
4. FF9 :cool:
5. FFX :cool:
6. Fable the lost Chapters(Xbox) :cool:

Tiny Bronco
01-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Besides FFs i like the Heoros of Might and Magic Series. A PC game thats pretty fun.

Squall Leonhart
01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Fable was good but way too short. ( Like 15 hours to beat it with everything done :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Tiny Bronco
01-21-2006, 11:45 PM
That's really short. Just 15 hrs. dissapointing.

Squall Leonhart
01-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, it was very, very fun though

Tiny Bronco
01-22-2006, 01:11 PM
The Baldur's Gate series are also wonderful RPGs and if you're looking for a game to play pick this one. :cool:

Squall Leonhart
01-22-2006, 01:26 PM
The Baldur's Gate series are also wonderful RPGs and if you're looking for a game to play pick this one. :cool:

Played and loved Dark Aliance for the PS2 :cool:

Tiny Bronco
01-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Dark Alliance! Good game. Planescape: Torment is also fun.

Squall Leonhart
01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
would you consider Halo to be an RPG? :D :D :D :D :D

Tiny Bronco
01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
No! :D :D :D Halo is a shooter! Though it has a better storyline than most shooters its not and RPG. At least not what i think and RPG is, which is probably the exact opposite of what they really are. :D

Squall Lionheart
01-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Chrono Cross.....not bad

Tiny Bronco
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I like stratigic games too like Age of Empires and

Imperialism!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :) This has to be one of the hardest most complex real life startigic games EVER. Your in the 1700s or whenever European powers were trying to colonize the Americas. So much fun. Try it! Or else. :D ;)

Squall Lionheart
01-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Heard of them...
but I'm more focused on swords & guns battles....

Tiny Bronco
01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Well... Those are cool! Imperealism is by far the BEST strtigic game though so if anyone likes those get IMPEREAISM!!!

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 12:45 AM
...to be honest....I never heard of it...

Tiny Bronco
01-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Well Sucks to be you. :D It's a pretty old game around the time of FF5.

Squall Leonhart
01-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Fable :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Whatever....

Tiny Bronco
01-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Many peole say that's a good game. I've never played it unfortunatly.
Another good RPG series is Myst! Like a newer FF, but not a cheap rip-off. They came up with their own ideas. :eek:

Squall Lionheart
01-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Heard of it....don't remember trying it.....

ShadowHeart
01-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Uh, isn't Myst completely different from FF, and not even a real RPG, more of an adventure game? It's all about solving riddles, isn't it?

Squall Lionheart
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM
you'r probably right......

Zeromus_X
01-30-2006, 09:33 PM
i should probably add star ocean to the list, since i seem to be addicted to it now...

Star Ocean- developed by tri-ace, and published by enix(now square enix of course), star ocean was a ground-breaking rpg. not only how it had a (kinda...) real time battle system, it used up 48 megabits of memory, the most a snes cartridge can store. it also featured in-battle voices, which is very amazing for a snes game :eek: it has many different playable characters, and an item creation system, so yeah, it had a lot more than rpgs of the time. it also had a rather sci-fi themed story, although there are fantasy elements too. also, there are many possible endings depending on how you treat other characters.

it had three sequels: Star Ocean: The Second Story for the ps1, Star Ocean: Blue Sphere for the game boy color (which is kinda a side story to second story, but whatever), and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the game im currently addicted to><;; for the ps2.

all the games are set in the same universe, and although none of the characters seem to be related (unless you count puffy :p), you can make a timeline of all the stories (did that make sense?) especially if you count the major plot twist in Till the End of Time, then you could say theyre all related :D (find out yourself! =3)

i found some of my info from wikipedia and a plot analysis from gamefaqs...=3

we need a cat smiley ...

Squall Lionheart
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Is it so hard to explain the main idea of it?..........
by far....I still have no clue what's it about.....

Tiny Bronco
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I agree, we need a cat smiley.
Star Ocean sounds good.

Squall Lionheart
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
.......you have any idea about it?

Zeromus_X
01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.holystar.ch.vu

heres a place with "rpg challenge videos" , videos of people with too much time with their hands doing amazing things with rpgs.

(scroll down to find star ocean, but look at the other stuff too, there is ff media.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean

the wiki article of SO. (links to specific games available.)

Squall Lionheart
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
we could move this to the other thread......

slimcloud
02-06-2006, 11:09 PM
no halo is a fps first person shooter like james bond

Avathar
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
My favorite rpg's: Grandia, Baldur's Gate, Kingdom of Hearts, Final Fantasy('s), Neverwinter Night, Vampire (the computergame, as well as the role-play^^), ....Vagrant Story, that's more an adventure than a role-play, no?

Zeromus_X
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Well, everyone has their own idea of what an RPG is. I always thought that RPGs were defined by you controlling a character that progressed through levels of some sort, and had different equipment, abilities, etc.

But I've never played VS, so..:p

Max the Man has played it, and he entered it in the RPG Journal, so I guess it'd be an RPG. :)

Avathar
02-25-2006, 04:13 PM
But i'm guessing that the difference between rpg and adventure is pretty clear....no? :D well, if it is clear, then i still don't recognise it for sure :D

It's like Zelda: an adventure game that really feels like a rpg
and Silver: an rpg game that really feels like an adventure :p (this sounds so silly)

Tiny Bronco
02-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I always thought that there are a lot of mixed up genre games. Exspecially RPG/Adventure games. This is what I think the Mysts are like. I don't think I've ever found a really good Lord of the Rings game. :( It had such potential but leave it to EA Games to srew something unsrewible up. :(