PDA

View Full Version : Celsius vs Fahrenheit

Zerlina
10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
110 degrees and no humidity :confused:

This summer it averaged 95 and had nothing below 60% humidity. :mad: There's nothing worse than being hot and sticky.

Ahhh! Farenheit! Switch to celcius. Water boils at 100 and freezes at 0. There's 10 mm in a cm. 10 cm in a decimetre. 10 dm in 1m.
It's just easier.

Totorosama
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Smart-aleck. You really pay too much attention in your science class don't you? Or maybe it's just your natural memory. Also as for the part about "nothing being worse than hot and sticky." Yes, it's called the worst places in AFrica...

ShadowHeart
10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Actually, it's only the US and the UK basically that still use the old inch/feet length system, pounds/ounces for weight, gallons for volume, and so on.. the rest of the world use the metric system. Not sure about Canada (that's where Zerlina is from), but I can imagine they'd be using the metric system, not the US/UK one.

Celsius is as far as I know also more widespread than Fahrenheit, can't think of much else than a couple of English speaking nations using Fahrenheits, but I'm not too sure. We use almost only Celsius in Europe as far as I know. Celsius makes a lot more sense too. Fahrenheit was based on that the absolute minimum temperator should be at 0 (when the guy came up with it, 0 F or about -18 C was the absolute lowest temperature he could reproduce in experiments) :)

It's a lil off topic, but yeah. Still Zerlina, you can't blame Americans for using the system they are taught and in most cases the only one they know (no offense, I mean, most ppl in countries that use metric/Celsius don't know how to convert to US/UK system and Fahrenheits either).

Zeromus_X
10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
i never liked math :p you should be proud to memorize all that stuff...youd have to torture me to make me memorize all that :D

Totorosama
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Not really. In science, it's emphasized that you use the metric system now. NOt that I'm skilled at conversions, but I use centimeters to measure my height more often that I do with inches, and so on and so forth.

Arkacia
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Another thread split :).

Spiff
10-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Ahhh! Farenheit! Switch to celcius. Water boils at 100 and freezes at 0. There's 10 mm in a cm. 10 cm in a decimetre. 10 dm in 1m.
It's just easier.

Okay Zerlina, just for you I'll convert it every time. :D

Rorschach
10-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Hmm...I don'tcare much for the metric system...sooo confusing, but it is useful for EXACT measurements...

Totorosama
10-04-2005, 01:04 AM
This is the second thread split I have participated in. How odd. Also, Rorschach, how can you say that the metric system is confusing? Think about how one ft. is 12 inches, and all that other confusing stuff. The metric system goes by tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. Much more neat and organized. And yes, it is good for making exact measurements. By the way, where's Shaggy lately? He doesn't seem to appear as often. (Just asking, please don't let this be another thread split, that would be confusing).

Rorschach
10-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Tis conufsing to me...or maybe my science teacher just sucks *cough* more likely*cough*

ShadowHeart
10-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Well maybe it just confuses you because you're not used to it.

Feet/inches don't make one bit of sense. You go from 1''9" to 1'10" up to 1'12" and THEN you go over to 2'0". You don't count that way. The same goes for pounds/ounces and gallons.. it's an old system that is really showing it's age IMO that most countries have scrapped altogether in favour of the metric system. We count with a 10-based number system, so why should we use a length/weight/volume system that is not 100% based on that? :)

And I know scientists use the metric system everywhere, even in the states, but your average joe won't use it or know how to use it. Same over here for the ft/inch system though. Heck, the only reason I know how to properly convert to ft/inches and pounds is because I play an online game called Utopia, and through that I meet A LOT of Americans on a daily basis. So it's become a habit for me to automatically convert to ft/inches and pounds when talking with Americans, or to teach ppl how to do it. Heck, I even had an American gf/fiancé or a while, and I was converting it for her too ;)

Zerlina
10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Smart-aleck. You really pay too much attention in your science class don't you? Or maybe it's just your natural memory.

Or maybe I live in a country that uses a system DIFFERENT from the United States. You know, other countries are allowed to do that.

And yes, completely. Metric makes more sense than what you use (I think it's called imperial system?). I've tried learning your system and it's just so random.

Totorosama
10-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Or maybe I live in a country that uses a system DIFFERENT from the United States. You know, other countries are allowed to do that.

What I meant was that you pay too much attention to both, as you would have to in order to be able to translate so fluently.

Tis conufsing to me...or maybe my science teacher just sucks *cough* more likely*cough*
I feel sorry for you. Too bad. Maybe a better science teacher next year? Or someone like Yoshi (one of Rorschach's and my friends whose real name is Yoshi. No, he's not imaginary, and yes, he's a genius) could teach you.