PDA

View Full Version : Whats your view on emulation?

Rorschach
10-13-2005, 01:45 AM
As in emulating old games, and new for your PC, whats your view point?
Personally, I think its ok, I'l go and dl the old final fantasys, but not the new ones, my policy for me is that if its still produced/sold no dl.

Xartex
10-13-2005, 04:36 AM
I think it's okay, as long as you don't only download games, it's hard to afford all the games you want, for example for a console and a gameboy, the first 6 ff games never got to europe (i think, correct me if i'm wrong, exept for the remakes, have all of them) so i never had a chance to buy them, always buy the square-enix games, that i want,

ShadowHeart
10-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Yeah, FF1-6 was never released over here for NES and SNES, so for a long time emulators were our only choice besides importing (and I'm not about to pay ~200+$ for one game), and when the games were re-released for PS1, we got them ASAP.

I play some PS1 games on emulator too, but almost only games that me and my brother own (I think the only exception was RE1). The problem for me is that I let him keep all the games when I moved out, so I just play them on an emulator instead as a substitute :)

Totorosama
10-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I think that for games that have been out for over a specified number of years, they should competely be allowed. I'm all in support of them, just not for games that are too new. The companies have to make money, you know.

Zeromus_X
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
pretty much what everyone said above...i own all the games i download anyway...(most of them... :cool: :p ) i just wish i could find a japanese rom so i could practice my japanese...(please no links!!!)

so many hiragana...0_o;;;

Rorschach
10-13-2005, 08:34 PM
? Where do you get PS1 ROMs Shadow? I've been looking for a site with that for a long time, so far all I've founda re either sites where you have to do all this voting crud, or they have naughty banners....><

Zeromus_X
10-14-2005, 12:23 AM
WEEEOW WEEEOW WEEEOW !!

quickly, hide rorsach!!! the evil moderators will come and take you away!!! asking for roms/isos is illegal! now hundreds of robot sentries will come and destroy your home!! :D

but yeah, you can't really ask for emulation on the forums...but i suppose you could pm them. (but i have no idea where to get isos...i usually just google if i want a rom or something, but ive never downloaded ps emulators, just nes and snes.

just trying for some humor... :p

ShadowHeart
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
There are no PS1 "roms", but there are PS1 ISOs or CD images, which are harddrive copies of the original game CDs. You can download these, or you can make them yourself off your own legally bought PS1 game CDs (there are programs for making the CD images off CDs, and yes, this method is legal, the only legal way to acquire PS1 ISOs as far as I know).

And Zeromus_X is right, don't ask for where to find it.. any post saying where to download any such things will be deleted or modified on spot.

~Hidan~
10-14-2005, 02:58 AM
Emulating games i think is fine, as long as its the old ones. I've done it several tiems befor i could find ff4-6 on ps1

Spiff
10-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I've never been able to get emulations to work, and I don't think I ever will. I don't see it as wrong since they don't advertise for it or spend money on trying to sell the games any longer. But since it's still illegal don't get yourself caught. :)

Totorosama
10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Hah! I'm one of the police. Hence, the email address "kerofbi." Just kidding. Well, as for that Japanese thingy that Zeromus X was talking about, I could teach you. Or you could search. And no, Hiragana is not that hard to learn. It's like an alphabet, except slightly easier, once you're used to it. I'm learning right now myself. Emulation? I've never tried it before. Come get me, police! [hears sound of sirens] Whoops.

Zeromus_X
10-30-2005, 05:47 PM
ah, ive got my hands on the roms...but will not disclose the location here...

its not that i dont remember the hiragana, ive mastered the gana and kana, but saying them out loud and figuring out what they actually mean is what gets me...

now those kanji...ugh...not even gonna try and figure those out...

although i guess ill have to...since to be considered literate, you have to memorize at least 2,000 of those evil things :eek: i only know like 20 of them...

edit: also, its fun naming the characters, because in english, its hard to just give 4 letters to a name, but in japanese, 4 symbols is enough. :) i name them animals, like neko, inu, tori, kame, etc...but mostly just cat, dog, turtle, and bird. and sometimes ryu, dragon.