PDA

View Full Version : how do you make links to another site?

Squall Leonhart
12-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I need to know how you make links to another site?

Sain Cai
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
DELETED

Sorry bout that.

Shaggy
12-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Please do not link to other sites on this forum.

Squall Leonhart
12-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Ok sorry about this thread then :o .

Shaggy
12-28-2005, 01:50 AM
No prob. If you like to link your site from this forum, put the link in your sig. I have no problem with that :)

Avathar
03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
:confused: I want to put a picture in my signature, but when i finish my sig, the image turns out as a link, not an actual picture :confused: Is it because of the picture i want to use comes from Photobucket? 'cause i've tried with pics from other sites, and they work fine........

baralai
03-02-2006, 03:05 AM
ahhh boring!

ShadowHeart
03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
That is one hell of a meaningless post, baralai. Do not post just for the purpose of posting, post for making an addition to a thread. That means posting a reply to someone's question or adding your thoughts, arguing, etc, but not posting completely pointless crap. That's called spam.

Avathar, let me explain. That link you are trying to display as an image may LOOK like it's a direct reference to an image, but it is in fact a link to a PAGE, not an image. See the "?" in the URL? The "?" and what comes after is used in php scripts to send simple input to pages to affect the looks of them. The link is as follows:

photobucket.com/albums/c100/buccobucco/?action=view&current=CloudStrife.jpg

(had to remove the http:// part to make it not auto display as a link and hiding the middle part for being too long)

This means the actual resource you are referring to is

http://photobucket.com/albums/c100/buccobucco/

And you are sending along 2 parameters, called 'action' (which is given the value the text string 'view') and 'current' (which is given the value the text string 'CloudStrife.jpg'). Through a script, the page then displays this image on the page for you.

Yada yada, but you want the solution.

To get the direct reference to the image, go to that link you're trying to use as an image and right click on the image you see on that page and choose "Properties". In the new small window that opens you'll see the direct reference (URL) to the image, use THAT in your signature. In Firefox you can also right click the image and just choose "Copy picture address/URL" or something like that (I'm using a Swedish version of Firefox so not entirely sure what it's called in yours).

Avathar
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
:D Thanks, Shadowheart, 't works now :D.