Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy IX (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Symbolism in FFIX (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=584)

Totorosama 10-20-2005 06:45 PM

Symbolism in FFIX

Just post here if you find more, because a lot of people have found some so far.

Zerlina 10-20-2005 06:49 PM

Re: Symbolism in FFIX

Beatrix being blind has been mentioned already.
Then there's obvious stuff like doves representing freedom.
As much as I love FFIX it's more of a spoonfed story. There's not much to dig at. If you want symbolism, look at FFVII. It's full of it.

Also, play the game I'm making ^^. Also full of symbolism (I'm warning you, it's hard to get unless you think)

Zeromus_X 10-20-2005 08:34 PM

although it isnt really symbolism, ff9 is full to the brim with past ff references. (i talked about the pluto knights) like, when youre on the tantalus ship, on the wall is the buster sword, and zidane says,"i used to know a guy with spiky hair who had a sword like this" or something.

also, in treno's auction house, if you but dorgas artifact and unne's mirror, and go play the black mage villages record player, you can hear a tune from ff3.(dorga and unne are characters in ff3.)

and there are countless others...of course, this game doesnt have as much sybolism as 7 and 8, per se, but has alot of ff references.

...and....sourdough bread is good.

Totorosama 10-20-2005 10:39 PM

Sourdough bread? Huh? Also, where's this site of your's Zerlina? And where have you been? Where has everyone been? Fewer people have been on lately. School?

Zeromus_X 10-21-2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totorosama
Sourdough bread? Huh? Also, where's this site of your's Zerlina? And where have you been? Where has everyone been? Fewer people have been on lately. School?

i was just messing around ^^;; (but i really do love sourdough bread...)

isnt her site called "the crystal" or something? i think its an ff9 site...

does it really seem like that? i go on every day...huh... although, most of the posts i check on are just the games, and not a real discussion, so i move on to the next site on my priority list...

Totorosama 10-23-2005 09:58 PM

It's just that it's only the same people coming on, and not very many. Should this thread be moved?

Zeromus_X 10-29-2005 12:18 PM

i dont think it should be moved. ( its in the ff9 forum, isnt it ? :))

and, ive found another thing to tell everyone.

in the play at the end of the game, one of zidane's lines is "no cloud nor squall will ever separate us" or something like that.

cloud and squall are the main characters of the other two ps1 ffs, ff7 and 8.

so maybe square is saying that they think ff9 is better than those two? ;) i dont know about that, but i found that very interesting.

Totorosama 10-30-2005 04:51 PM

Cool. Also, it's really odd how Gaia and Terra are different worlds, as they both mean "earth." Also, Daguerro was founded by an inventor, and there was a person called Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre who was a French inventor. Alexandria was near a shore in the game, as is in real life. Treno, a place with lots of money, is similar to "Reno," don't you think? I also think that the place name "Conde Petie" refers to the smallness of the people there, who are dwarves. After all they are "petite," hence the "petie" part. Vivi is the prefix for life, and it is odd that he is the one who quotes "How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don’t exist…" which is to mean that he is doubting whether we live or not, and if there was a purpose to our "life." Anyways, that's enough for now. More research...

Zeromus_X 10-30-2005 06:03 PM

square must really think these out when they make the ff games...well the 10- ones anyway...

also, freya was a goddess in some old mythology...ill try and find which one...but she was an anachronism card!

ok, freya was a war and love goddess(in norse mythology), so basically aphrodite with a temper :confused: but her chariot was driven by a pair of giant kitties!!=3 :D :p

eh...go to wikipedia and look up "freya"? i dont know the exact address...

Max the Man 10-30-2005 06:30 PM

FFIX wasn't really supposed to be a numbered FF... (It was going to be a shrine-like game, that's why there are so many past FF references)

Zerlina 10-30-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totorosama
Cool. Also, it's really odd how Gaia and Terra are different worlds, as they both mean "earth." Also, Daguerro was founded by an inventor, and there was a person called Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre who was a French inventor. Alexandria was near a shore in the game, as is in real life. Treno, a place with lots of money, is similar to "Reno," don't you think? I also think that the place name "Conde Petie" refers to the smallness of the people there, who are dwarves. After all they are "petite," hence the "petie" part. Vivi is the prefix for life, and it is odd that he is the one who quotes "How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don’t exist…" which is to mean that he is doubting whether we live or not, and if there was a purpose to our "life." Anyways, that's enough for now. More research...

most of the character names have meanings. Same in most FFs

Luis 10-30-2005 09:45 PM

Shall we call this names symbolism too? I think word symbolism had a different meaning... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I agree with all what you said in the thread. (By the way, 'Terra' is the name for earth in my regional speech :p)

gcarev10 11-02-2005 06:02 PM

in the game love ,fight for coz,and many more. For site no.

Totorosama 11-17-2005 07:31 PM

Also, Freya was the Norse goddess of love. Odd...but then again, she had this love thing going on with Fratley. "To be forgotten is worse than death" -Freya

LoKuS 11-18-2005 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max the Man
FFIX wasn't really supposed to be a numbered FF... (It was going to be a shrine-like game, that's why there are so many past FF references)

Where you hear this from buddy?