Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy IX (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   cards (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25)

Gumdrop 12-21-2004 02:07 PM

cards

Which do you think is better the ff8 version or ff9 version of cards? I think the ff9 version is better, it does not have the annoying rules like elemental! I kind of like the concept and it does make it harder haveing those random rules in different regions, but I found a few of them realy annoying! what do you all think??

The Dark Paladin 12-30-2004 06:37 PM

I prefer FF8's card game, because the random rules for each region kept me guessing on a strategy, and it was a lot tougher than FF9's, which was really easy after about 5-10 games.

ShadowHeart 01-10-2005 11:04 AM

I really didn't like the card game in FF9.. I only played it when I had to (ie, that tournament you have to do). FF8's card game though, I played a lot to get as many special cards as I could. It was fun :)

Antonio_1025 01-13-2005 02:48 PM

For me, FFVIII's game was easier to understand when it came to how cards beat each other. I never did understand how IX's system worked.

Quezacotl 01-14-2005 10:23 PM

Yeah, FF9's card game was more complicated, but the numbers all meant something on the cards. I learnt how everything worked, but the most annoying thing about FF9's game is that there as a randomness element to it, which meant the better card didn't always win, and that could often lead to a secure win turning into a heavy defeat because something went against what I'd have expected.

FF8's game is much easier to understand and overall a lot more fun to play.

Gunslinger 01-18-2005 11:47 AM

Hi, peeps I'm new here, but used to post alot back int he day!!!The numbers on the cards in IX were done in hexi-decimal, a dis-used mathematical technique, like C3PO. WHY??!?!?! No-one could really understand it anyway!!!! Much prefer VIII card game spent 8 hours straight doing that !!!!!

Zatsugaku 01-23-2005 07:35 PM

mastering the game in 8 took longer with the complicated rules and 'that ' rule, i mean the random rule from cetra. but triple triad kicks the socks off the game in ff9

FFnut 01-24-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Hi, peeps I'm new here, but used to post alot back int he day!!!The numbers on the cards in IX were done in hexi-decimal, a dis-used mathematical technique, like C3PO. WHY??!?!?! No-one could really understand it anyway!!!! Much prefer VIII card game spent 8 hours straight doing that !!!!!

Hex isn't disused. Most webpage color programming is done in a six-digit hexidecimal system to build a RGB (the first two digits are red, the second pair is green, and the third double represents blue) so 000000 is black and FFFF00 is yellow, for example.

Also notice the following oddity: the very first Final Fantasy was built on an 8-bit system (NES). An 8-bit hexidecimal system only has two digits. F is the highest a hex digit can go before going back to 0 (kind of like 9 in our regular system, one more and the digit becomes zero and we add a 1 in the next digit over). So the maximum 8-bit hexidecimal value is, oddly enough, FF. Strange, isn't it?

Coelie 04-29-2005 11:50 AM

I haven't played FF8 yet but i like the FF9 card games :p they are way easy to win

LoKuS 05-04-2005 12:52 AM

I like the card game better in 9, i also like 9 better then 8. :)

Raven 05-14-2005 11:35 PM

Card game is better in ff8.

Final Fantasy 8 card game is more original and very competitive. I was once beat by an old lady where all the places were (forgot by now).

devilmog 06-07-2005 08:33 AM

I vote for ff8.

KeN4628 06-22-2005 12:54 PM

Re: cards

I never understood ff8's rules. However 9's were very easy and I liked playing it. I really liked the link thing in it but hated the block things in the middle of the cardfield.

Arkacia 07-25-2005 06:55 AM

I prefered the card game in FF9 because it was more fun than the game in FF8. While the elemental part of the FF8 game made it more interesting to me (I liked that part of it), the constant rule changes from region to region were just plain annoying.

ShadowHeart 07-26-2005 07:26 AM

The constant rule changing is easy to get by if you know what you're doing. What you do is save every time before entering a town for the first time since you played cards in a different area.. then play a game and keep soft resetting until one of the rules you don't like are removed. In my last game, I managed to remove irritating rules such as Random without much work really.

DarkCloud 07-29-2005 12:15 PM

I prefer FFVIII's game, as said already, its much more competitive and to me just fun! its an easier concept as well (i thought) So VIII has my vote. (I liked the card gameplay music in FFVIII much better as well)

Ellone 09-20-2005 08:27 PM

My vote is for Final Fantasy VIII card game (Triple Triad) because it is easier and not that hard for me.

Zeromus_X 09-21-2005 12:57 AM

i liked ff9's...even though im not good at any of them! :p i thought ff8s were harder...but the rewards are well worth it! i just thought ff9s was better because i could win at it...oh, and even though it was a long time ago that was posted, that "hexidecimal system" looked interesting...even though i hate math with a vengeance :D

Xartex 09-21-2005 06:38 AM

i recon that the ff8 is better, it's easier to plan strategies and stuff

Totorosama 09-21-2005 11:10 PM

The god part about FFIX's was that it seemed more straightforward to me. It took me a while to figure out the attributes of the cards, though.

ShadowHeart 09-22-2005 03:31 AM

Meh, there's way too much randomness in FFIX's card game for my tastes :)

Totorosama 09-29-2005 11:47 PM

What randomness? Explain...

Rorschach 09-29-2005 11:58 PM

Do you mean like where a inferior card can beat a superior card because of "luck" stats? I hated that in 11....so annoying.

Spiff 09-30-2005 01:47 AM

So that's what it was. :mad:

ShadowHeart 09-30-2005 03:38 AM

Yes, I mean the randomness when 2 cards in FFIX go into a "card battle". A better card is a better card, end of story :)

Totorosama 09-30-2005 06:59 PM

I don't recall a luck stat. There were only 3 #s (1 in front, the last two) and 1 letter (type, second slot). ARe you sure there was one? I've had a lot of battles, and my strategies almost never lose me a game. I've lost about 1 for every 20 I play.

ShadowHeart 09-30-2005 07:43 PM

There is no luck stat. But when 2 cards go into a card battle, they each get a number (I guess somehow based on their attack power), and then their numbers are seemingly randomly decreased and any card can win over any other card if you are lucky (or heck, unlucky).

And it's not just that a worse card can win over a better one in that way.. but in the beginning of the game when every card you and your opponent have has the stats "00P0" or "00M0", it leads to extremely random games where it can go any possible way. That just doesn't encourage me to want to keep playing. Not to mention the fact that each individual card has a random number of arrows facing random directions...

.. yeah, way too much randomness. Maybe it gets better if you have really good cards with high stats, but I can't even stand thinking about playing another Tetra Master game :/

Rorschach 09-30-2005 08:15 PM

Ok ya, there is no luck stat, but I couldn't think of any way else to describe it...

And ya, it should just be that a superior cad wins, all the time, even though its nice for new players, it gets verry annoying when you have a 5-6 card get beaten by a 1-0 card (yes, I've seen it happen). Really pisses me off, specialy when your fighting a computer and you have to go through 4 or 5 games to get that card back...

Totorosama 10-01-2005 07:24 PM

I don't remember that ever happening in FFIX...are you sure?

gcarev10 10-06-2005 05:48 PM

VII because enemis a strongher and 9 is for 2 year kids.

ShadowHeart 10-06-2005 05:53 PM

VII doesn't have a card game.

Zeromus_X 10-06-2005 05:54 PM

just how exactly is damage determined in 9's card game? does it have to do with the hexidecimal system? :confused: very confused... :confused:

add on: i think he means 8, just forgot the extra "I" ;)

ShadowHeart 10-06-2005 06:05 PM

In FFIX each card says something like "0P00".

The first character is the card's attacking power in hexadecimal. Well actually, a 0 means the card has attack power "0F" in hexadecimal which translates to 15 in decimal, a 1 means the card has attack power "1F" in hexadecimal which translates to 31 in decimal, and so on, up to F (F is 15).

The second character is the card's attack type, P (physical), M (magical), X or A. I'm not sure what X or A means, someone else will have to explain that :)

The third character is the card's physical defense, denoted in the same way as attack power.

The forth character is the card's magical defense, denoted in the same way as attack power.

gcarev10 11-02-2005 06:17 PM

ff9 is a easy to play card game then ff8.

Totorosama 11-02-2005 07:46 PM

X means that they attack the opponent's weakest value with their highest.
A means assault, using their attack to attack the enemy's weakest defense value.

Squall Leonhart 12-27-2005 07:58 PM

VIII's card game is way better

Josh-UK 01-02-2006 10:44 AM

i dunno y but i find the card game in ffix easier. i dont play it much though.
:)

dappa 01-08-2007 01:49 PM

the card system of ff8 was better than 9's mainly due to the fact that the rewards you got for rare cards. I also liked the difficulty of the cards of certain areas though I hated the random rule.

What I used to do was talk to the guy in balamb docks and challenge him to a game of cards. This guy would say to you "lets play with the rules from my home town" but he doesn't specify what his town is.

accept his challenge and when you start the card game all the rules you've collected during the game are gone, which is quite handy if you are going on a rare cards quest

This guy isn't always there but I have only seen him show up on disk 3

jedi geoff 01-27-2007 12:14 AM

i think FF8's was easier to understand, except for the plus rule :confused:
FF9's card game was confusing and i could never tell if i would beat a card with my own.
FF8's was simple with a clear number, higher than it, you beat it, lower than it, you lose,
SIMPLE
PS: I HATED the elemental rule and the plus/same rules too. AND RANDOM RULE.
And even more annoying was that once you played with a annoying rule, you were stuck with it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seyluv 01-27-2007 12:37 AM

I like ff9 version more, I rule that card game. I had almost all the cards and I beat everyone on there. FF8 cards kinda suck to me. I didn't do that well against most people in a card match and my cards were not that cool as FF9.