Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   General FF Discussion (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is your favorite FF (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97)

Zynk 03-17-2005 06:37 AM

What is your favorite FF

It would only post 10

I vote for FF2 (US) because i thought it had the best story

FFnut 03-17-2005 08:50 AM

ARGH! Some of us may think that FF2j or even FF3j was the best! I don't understand why you're so set on using the US numbering system when almost nobody else uses it anymore. Even SE uses the japanese numbering system these days.

ShadowHeart 03-17-2005 01:08 PM

Yeah, using the old US numbering system is just a source of possible confusion. The games are called FF4 and FF6. I don't care that they were released in the US as FF2 and FF3, their real and original numbers are 4 and 6, they were the 4th and 6th games in the series. They've been re-released with these numbers in recent years too. I see absolutely no point whatsoever in calling them FF2 or FF3, even with the (US) tag at the end. It will just be confusing with different numbering on the same games, and honestly, adding the JAP and US tags at the end doesn't look good either.

Besides, to the rest of the world they are FF4 and FF6, nothing else, and even out of the americans, only very few call them FF2 and FF3 anymore.

As for the true FF2 and FF3 (for NES), FF2 is arguably the worst FF game ever, while FF3 is actually a lot of fun. You don't consider FF2 and FF3 part of the series? Or is it just the fact that you've never played them? Well, newsflash, a lot of people HAVE played them, and they HAVE been released here now officially. Leaving them out of a vote for the best game in the series is, no offense, stupid.

I'm not sure I can ever forgive Square for renaming the games the way they did, because the confusion about missing games in the series back then couldn't possibly have been any worse than what we have now instead. And the release of FF7 and on with the same title everywhere didn't present any problems, did it? *sigh*

Anyway.. I voted for FF7.

~Hidan~ 03-17-2005 04:53 PM

Why isnt 4 on the list???

Zynk 03-17-2005 06:08 PM

4 is on the list but is it the US version of so it is FF2 the poll would only let me put 10 items on the list so FF2(jap) and FF3(jap) did not make the list i can restart the poll if you like but I'll have to take out 2 of the 10 out I have up there now to put the other games in there.

-Tali-HO!

ShadowHeart 03-17-2005 07:01 PM

See, Zynk, there's another reason to stop using the old US numbering. It confuses people, even if you do add the (US) tag at the end. I can't force you to do anything, but it would make it so much easier if everyone called the games FF4 and FF6. There can be no misunderstanding of what game you are actually talking about then.

IMO, Tactics isn't part of the real Final Fantasy series. Sure it's got it's name, but it's not numbered and it's so different in gameplay compared to the other titles, so it's standing out a little on it's own. And I wouldn't count X-2 either, as it's just a direct sequel to a previous title, not part of the real series. But that's just my opinion.

And you know, the american version of FF4 is a slightly simplified version of the japanese original. They made the game easier and took out a bunch of items and monsters in the american version, nowadays referred to as "easy-type" (and the japanese original is "hard-type"), because they thought the game would be too hard for the american audience.. or something like that. But I'm sure you knew that :)

Anyway, I guess you can keep the poll as it is. Unless someone demands to be able to vote on FF2 and FF3 (the NES games, I never use the old US numbering), then just keep it going.

Spiff 03-17-2005 08:26 PM

Final Fantasy VI

Best game ever...

Shaggy 03-18-2005 02:51 AM

I liked 7 but 8 had the better graphics then most FF games. So I picked 8

Zerlina 03-26-2005 09:35 PM

FF9 because I love fairy tales a lot more than futuristic stories!

Gumdrop 03-28-2005 05:31 PM

I like ff7 the most ff9 is a close runner up (sorry ffnut :P).

FFnut 03-28-2005 07:02 PM

Bah. I just went to about eight different stores to find that prticular game - figure I'd give it another try as all the other FF games at this point are boring for me. Apparently nobody left in the contiguous United States sells the game anymore. Dammit.

Quezacotl 04-01-2005 05:46 PM

FF8 has always been my favourite. I thought the story was great, I liked the junction system and the battle system too even if it was a little easy, had good music, and I really liked Squall at the time so I could really follow the game.

X comes in a close second.

Little Valder 04-04-2005 03:41 AM

Hi all. New to the boards finding this very interesting. My vote has to goto FF 7 I just like how it was set up and the game play was awesome. On the whole numbering thing I agree. I admit I use to be one to call them FF2(US) and FF3(US) but that was before I new about the three before them. Now it is easier to just call them 4 and 6

Zardoz 04-28-2005 03:08 AM

FF8-slightly haunting

Spiff 05-01-2005 02:26 PM

The best three (IMO)

The big three