Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback and Suggestions (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   More banners in signature (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2468)

Seyluv 03-21-2007 04:08 PM

More banners in signature

Can we please have like more then one banner? Most other forums let people have more then one banner. Its really hard to represent just one banner.

Hydra 03-21-2007 04:18 PM

Re: More banners in signature

Due to the some low connections here...

*coughMyWindows98cough*

Multiple images would cause some speed to drop low.

So, yeah.

That's why we limit them.

ShadowHeart 03-21-2007 04:24 PM

I do just fine without any images at all.

One problem with filling the signature with lots and lots of pictures and text, is that when a thread gets long, the majority of the space of the thread will be.. *drumroll* signatures, because the actual contents of posts tend to be the same size or LESS than the signature below it (just look at your own post, 2 lines of text contents and 10 times more space used for signature). This causes users to have to scroll *a lot* just to read a few posts, not to mention the speed-down for low-bandwidth people like Hydra mentioned.

The RPG menu on each user creates a minimum space that will always be used, so allowing signatures up to the height of that with standard content size of 2-5 (?) lines of text, should be fine I guess. If that was the rule, you'd already bordering be bordering on the limit.

Do you want to have a forum where 90% (or more!) of the thread contents is signatures? It's probably already over 50%. I like to read the actual posts, and I tend to check someone's signature once, then ignore it.

John Smith 03-21-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowHeart
One problem with filling the signature with lots and lots of pictures and text, is that when a thread gets long, the majority of the space of the thread will be.. *drumroll* signatures, because the actual contents of posts tend to be the same size or LESS than the signature below it (just look at your own post, 2 lines of text contents and 10 times more space used for signature). This causes users to have to scroll *a lot* just to read a few posts, not to mention the speed-down for low-bandwidth people like Hydra mentioned.

I tend to check someone's signature once, then ignore it.

Most certainly.

Plus, if there are other forums that allow that much images in sigs, then they should make a new rule...

Yggdrasill 03-21-2007 06:00 PM

I personally don't think this is a good idea.
If there's one thing I hate; it's when I go on forums and members have stacks of massive banners in their sigs.
I think 1 banner, or, in my case, 3 small banners is fine.

Zeromus_X 03-22-2007 02:42 AM

This thread and the signature size restrictions it contains were created for more or less all of the reasons ShadowHeart and Hydra have pointed out. Having a signature cluttered with massive banners and text isn't sightly, and I don't see what the point of having so many images/a big image is anyway. Having a suitable size banner that doesn't go over the 130 pixel height limit helps prevent our forum from becoming cluttered with over-the-top signatures.

Unfortunately, we often don't have time (at least I don't) to be hunting down signatures, so I only get to leave this message (or a variant of it) in any signatures I happen to pass by that are over the limit, so many people still get away with having an oversized signature (alot of people just ignore the rule entirely...):

Quote:

Your signature is over the 130 pixel limit of this forum. You can solve this by only using one banner of appropriate size, and putting all text in your signature to 1. For more information, please look at this thread: http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1098

Arkacia 03-27-2007 05:11 AM

Sorry Empress, but for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, and the thread Zero linked to, the sig rule won't be changed.

Seyluv 03-27-2007 03:46 PM

Ok I understand