Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Original Fan Fiction Art (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Untitled- Game concept art (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=536)

Zerlina 10-03-2005 12:07 AM

Untitled- Game concept art

Just practising out my art skills since I'm making a game and all. You guys asked for some of my coloured stuff, so here it is. It's not anime style, it's closer to maybe the korean or chinese art. I found that colouring things anime style just didn't fit in with the way I drew, plus I have more fun doing the korean/chinese eyes! ^^. Ok, so here it is.

Costume is inspired by a cheongsong that was apparently on a placemat painting, and also some classical grecian dresses (I was watching midsummer night's dream the ballet), and one of my necklaces. I mixed them together and voila.

Lines: Pencils, brushes. Coloured in photoshop- with a mouse. *cough* tell my parents I want a tablet for christmas */cough* Yep. So there you go. I tried my best to make the photoshopness look more natural and more painted than computer generated. Hope it worked. (by the way, is watermarked because there's a lot of art theft going around apparently).

C&C TY.

Zeromus_X 10-03-2005 12:51 AM

Re: Untitled- Game concept art

thats...FRIGGIN AWESOME!!

but...just sos ya know...it still looks a little anime-y.

still...it does look like a real drawing. (not a computer one :) )

so therefore...its a good drawing :D

ShadowHeart 10-03-2005 05:12 AM

Holy shit, I love it! It looks like the work of a professional artist :)

Zeromus_X 10-03-2005 01:28 PM

what is your game going to be about? is it an rpg?

Zerlina 10-03-2005 05:53 PM

Aww thanks you guys, you're so nice! I really appreciate the feedback :)

So to respond...
1. Yes, it is very close to the western idea of anime, but as it's not coloured in cell style, and uses eyes and hair closer to Chinese Manhua or Korean Manwha style. You can see the differences if you look at them:

Korean Manwha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manwha

Japanese Anime
http://www.satyrnet.it/sailormoon/guer2.jpg

2. It is a real drawing ^^. I did it by hand, scanned it and coloured it in photoshop. (repetition: I used a mouse (big accomplishment)!)

3. RPG. These drawings right now are not really for faces, but to get a set "idea" of the character, and also to get their costumes (Since I'm doing the spriting before the facesets).

Zeromus_X 10-03-2005 06:01 PM

awesome! :) what are you making it with, rpg maker?

add on: yeah, i do kinda see the resemblance ^^;

Zerlina 10-03-2005 06:15 PM

lol yep. The two styles are closely related. But it's interesting, because you can create art that mixes elements of both! Personally, I like the softer shading in korean art. Cell style makes sense for anime since so many frames have to be done quickly, but I think for just still art, soft shading's nicer.

And yes, RM2K3

Zeromus_X 10-03-2005 06:21 PM

if you ever complete it, please put a link! :)

Rorschach 10-04-2005 12:39 AM

Most definitely...
:)
NICE!!
Wish I had dem art skills...*sniff sniff*

Totorosama 10-06-2005 06:33 PM

Same as Rorschach. When are you going to put up more?

Rorschach 10-08-2005 02:22 PM

Ya, she hasn't been posting that much anymores....mabye a vacation? School?
Sniff, come back lol

Spiff 10-08-2005 11:14 PM

That's the best artwork I've ever seen from an amateur. Good work. :)

Zeromus_X 10-09-2005 02:03 AM

by the way zerlina, what did you mean by the water mark thing? how do they steal your artwork? :confused:

ShadowHeart 10-09-2005 06:44 AM

People take pics they find online (perhaps through google image search) and use them on their sites or in their banners without the artist's approval. If you add watermarks (see the faint text in the background behind the character, is what I assume she meant), it reduces the attractiveness of the pictures for these kind of uses, and it makes it more difficult to use in banners (the watermarks get in the way). It doesn't work so well against professional photoshop users though I guess.

But this is a reality on the internet, unfortunately. People don't care who originally drew a picture, they just take it and use it as they want, because in all honesty, the chance of getting caught is near non-existant, especially if the pics are only used on personal home pages or the like that only a limited amount of people ever see.

And I agree full-heartedly with Spiff :)

~Hidan~ 10-14-2005 05:06 AM

Thats wonderfull looking! I wish i could draw.......