Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy X (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The sphere grid (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19)

Gumdrop 12-19-2004 09:06 AM

The sphere grid

I always liked the sphere grid, I thought it was a good and imaginitive system, but I noticed many people feel differently and did not like it, what do you all think of it? good or bad?

FFnut 12-19-2004 01:58 PM

A lot of people hated it because they didn't understand it. Once you understood it, though, it became way too easy to abuse (giving Auron Quick Hit and teaching Yuna Ultima were some of my greatest ideas) but it was still fun overall. It was better than the X-2 levelling/ability system though, because whatever you did in X-2 became almost worthless once you changed classes.

Shaggy 12-19-2004 03:13 PM

I really liked the sphere grid on X. It was a new twist to FF..;) How could someone hate it, because it took some thinking?? :D

Gumdrop 12-19-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy
I really liked the sphere grid on X. It was a new twist to FF..;) How could someone hate it, because it took some thinking?? :D

I'm glad you two agree that it was great! its nice to meet people who agree on the same things :)
its natualy for people to hate what they don't understand I suppose, but I still find it lame :p
on an ffxii forum I go to somebody started a thread on how they thought the sphere grid sucked, and everyone was agreeing that it does suck!

ShadowHeart 01-10-2005 08:18 AM

Well what can I say..

The sphere grid was certainly an interesting innovation. But I have one problem with it. There's just way too much to do if you want to max your characters. I don't know the real figures, but judging from the "how to max your characters" guides I've glanced at, it feels like it would take literally hundreds of hours to get anything close to maxed our characters. Sure, it makes it a challenge for the hardcore players.. but this is just extreme. To even stand a chance at some of the Dark Aeons and toughest Arena monsters, you need to spend so much time on the sphere grid that I decided it's in no way worth it to bother. The sphere grid is fine if you just want to play through the game and not bother about doing just about everything, other than that, it's simply too difficult and time consuming to get your characters strong enough to defeat all ther super bosses. Sure it's meant to be difficult to do so, but I feel FFX takes it way too far. I like to build up my characters, but just skimming through one FAQ about how to max your characters made me give up that idea entirely.

So I have kind of mixed feelings towards it. If you have enough time and patience to fill the sphere grid with all the best stat modifiers, I'm happy for you. But for me, it's a task beyond the possibility of completion. It took away the fun of building strong characters. I'm not saying it should be easy, but not THIS hard (or rather, time consuming!).

Kudos to you who had so much spare time and managed to build your sphere grid enough to beat all the super bosses. You have no lives :)

Gumdrop 01-10-2005 07:43 PM

heh,heh I have no life ^_^'' my spere grid is full i have to use those eraser shere things if i want to empty it, and I beat those super bosses *sobs, I have no life*.

Quezacotl 01-14-2005 10:25 PM

I perfected the Sphere Grid and beat all the Dark Aeons and Penance... and then my friend saved over my 300 hour game by accident. :p

I thought the sphere grid was a good system. It allowed for some sort of flexibility later, while still making all the characters somewhat different to begin with. And it makes the game entierly stat-based, which means you don't have to spend time buying new weapons from every shop every time... not that that's a bad thing in itself, but it was something different and quite fun to play around with.

Gumdrop 01-15-2005 08:11 AM

oh my god I think I would have murdered your friend if I were you,lol!

Gunslinger 01-21-2005 11:48 AM

Someone saved over an FF game of mine before....i went absolutly nuclear!!!

I personally thought the sphere-grid was great......true there was some work to be done to max everyone out, but King Tonberry is there to help with that..(it's not cheating!)

The problem i had with it was that once evryone was maxed out they were all exactly the same.....unlike 9 where all characters have very unique abilities.

I was a little worried at first that they had got rid of the leveling system but due to the scope and length of the game it makes sense.....you'd probably reach LVL100 after about 50 hours (out of 300)

I cant understand why people dont like it......... :confused:

ShadowHeart 01-21-2005 12:09 PM

Takes too much of an effort to max or near max your characters. It's not supposed to be easy, but FFX takes it way too far. I'm not going to spend 200+ hours just to build my characters.. lol. Cut that by about 10 times and I could do it :)

Gumdrop 01-21-2005 05:17 PM

it does take a while, I think it took me just over 100 hours (I spent an age training in the omega ruins, but its not hard to do, I think it makes an interesting alternitive to leveling up :D

Mong00se 02-15-2005 12:02 AM

I never understood how to get more then 3 lvl 4 key spheres, so instead I just got Yuna to walk her path, then Lulu's. Tidus walked his path then Rikku's I think (or Kimahri's, but got steal from Rikku) and Auron walked his and Wakka's, getting all his abilities.

How do you get so many key spheres and friend spheres to open all the locks?

LoKuS 05-04-2005 12:58 AM

The sphere grid is nice, but as someone stated above, it would take way to long to max out characters.

johnnylumpkin 05-14-2005 07:04 PM

I didn't like it. It was confusing. :confused: :confused: :confused:

LoKuS 05-14-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylumpkin
I didn't like it. It was confusing. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not really, you get it after a few minutes.

twiztidclown 06-17-2005 11:05 PM

Re: The sphere grid

i liked it because unlike in the other ff's everybody can learn everything in the other ones like VII (which is my fav) you vave to go look for matiera to teach anyone anything i thaught it was a great idea

Dark_PsycherV28 07-19-2005 07:37 PM

Which sphere grid,the normal or the expert one : P ? the sphere grid rocks.It gives you enormous flexibility,keeps you very busy,and makes it harder to max chars than just kill kill kill kill hack slash killing monsters everywhere.Though you have to do a lot of that too.I think i was near the games end in 45 hours?Then it took me 100 hours in order to max my chars,get all celestial weapons and kill all Dark Aeons and Penance.The trick is first maxing the grid as it is.Nothing helps more than the Don Tonberry AP trick to that :cool:

Xartex 08-20-2005 08:32 PM

it was a fun change from the normal levels but too much time... i've a game on around 100hours and i might continue that save som day.... if i can be bothered... but it is so much time

Lionheart250 08-25-2005 03:08 PM

The Sphere Grid is awesome once you fight the King Cactuar inside the Battle Arena, becaus ewhen you fight him till' he runs away you get bunch of sphere grid level. So all you need to do is have Yuna on your team and with her life and phionex downs just keep on pressing traingle, execpt when someone dies, then you have to phionex down or life them.
And wait until he runs away and your sphere goes outta the ground. Anyways, if the sphere grid was dumb I would be saying, what crap was that game!!!
So just to say it, it was pretty awesome once you get used to it.

Ac][d-FyrE 08-28-2005 12:32 AM

i reacon the sphere grid was oki, but if u wanted a gd custom char 2 suit u the complex grid was the wai 2 go

Lunatic Pandora 09-19-2005 09:22 AM

The sphere grid was the best character advancement system to that date. It allows you to shape your characters into whatever you want. Who said a mage has to hit for 153 melee damage? Enter the sphere grid....

Totorosama 09-28-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
The problem i had with it was that once evryone was maxed out they were all exactly the same.....unlike 9 where all characters have very unique abilities.

I agree. At the beginning and for players who aren't hard core, it works fine, but if you really push it, you can have all the characters having the same skills and stats, which isn't that fun. But all in all, I think it's a fair system, one that doesn't completely rely on weapons, which is more realistic.

leviathan's flare 11-06-2005 11:24 AM

ei! it was confusing at first but when you really know how to go around the sphere grid it as "easy as pie!" i really i like it was a breath of fresh air for me because it was the cliche of leveling up! you know! it was bit of a challange though... and still not finished with the game!!^_^

leviathan's flare 11-06-2005 11:26 AM

ei! it was confusing at first but when you really know how to go around the sphere grid it as "easy as pie!" i really i like it was a breath of fresh air for me because it was not a cliche of leveling up! you know! it was bit of a challange though... and still not finished with the game!!^_^

leviathan's flare 11-06-2005 11:30 AM

if you really want your charachter to be different with each other don't max out the sphere grid!! joke!!

ShadowHeart 11-06-2005 12:32 PM

Please use the "Edit" button in the bottom right corner of a post when you want to add something to a thread shortly after posting, instead of making a completely new post. Thanks.

水草Cloud 11-08-2005 08:59 AM

I think sphere grid is quit very good.It's the best system in the history of FF.Do you wanna Yuna to be a thief or Tidus to learn white magic?.....The sphere grid will help you to realize it

Max the Man 11-08-2005 03:00 PM

I got everyone but Kimhari to master most of the skills on their sphere grid... right now Tidus is being a white Mage, Kimhari and Yuna a thief, Rikku a black Mage, Lulu an oracle (Wakka's sphere grid) Wakka a samurai, and Auron a rougue!

Frost 11-14-2005 05:23 PM

I love the sphere grid. It's unique and fun to work with (Until I move the wrong way and have to waste s.levels on getting back to the right spot). I also had fun giving Auron 400HP in a matter of minutes. :)

LoKuS 11-16-2005 02:49 AM

It's good.

Mong00se 11-16-2005 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoKuS
It's good.

haha thank you for that one

LoKuS 11-17-2005 02:48 AM

your welcome.

Totorosama 11-17-2005 07:33 PM

Definitely unique and new. It was great, until Kimahri started lagging behind. BUt that' s my fault. Did anyone get Ultima? Pretty hard. But yeah, it does give more freedom in choice of skills and stats. Before, the only thing you could do was level up as best you could and try to learn the skills. That was about it. Now, you can choose your own.

Phoenix Flame 12-01-2005 06:21 AM

I found the spere grid unbelievably huge at first, after I fought about 150 hours I wasn't impressed. Nemesis was a punk! He never even had a chance fighting a die hard RPG fan :) :D

Black Mage 12-12-2005 09:27 PM

I loved the Shpere Grid.. It was a good addition to Final Fantasy. To tell the truth I had alot of fun getting shperes and placing them on places on the grid. I liked to see the different colors also HAHAHAHA!!

Phoenix Flame 12-15-2005 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Mage
I loved the Shpere Grid.. It was a good addition to Final Fantasy. To tell the truth I had alot of fun getting shperes and placing them on places on the grid. I liked to see the different colors also HAHAHAHA!!

Hey BM...how far did you get into the whole leveling up/beating the original creations monsters? I found, after a while, that everything was too easy and made the game boring to play. :(

Black Mage 12-19-2005 05:14 PM

Well I got pretty far into the game. Although sometimes I had gotten stuck on like 1 or 2 bosses.

Phoenix Flame 12-25-2005 06:54 AM

I got so far into beating everything...I was going for a perfect game. I realized that you couldn't have 99,999 hp unless you used hp plus armor (this is unless you don't want to have 255 of every stat.) I chose to have around 100 luck for everyone, 255 of every other stat, and about 75,000 hp. Needless to say my guys were so sick I didn't even care what Nemesis did to me - it was like he was just sneezing in my direction...so, yeah! I just focused on getting my characters weapons and armors w/4 open/customizable slots so I could have cool auto-abilities but since they had so much speed I could go through the whole bunch w/o the enemy getting in so much as a punch.

I don't think I'll play it again anytime soon after that. But I still LOVE FFVII. :D

baralai 03-05-2006 06:45 AM

i like it becouse i learn the attacks on a new set...

darkmajinvegeta 03-05-2006 10:16 AM

sphere grides are good