Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   FFNET Announcements (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New Signature Size Limit. (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1098)

Arkacia 05-19-2006 10:21 AM

New Signature Size Limit.

Some of us have noticed that a few members have some really huge sigs. These are overpowering posts, making it a pain to scroll through pages, and I suspect are a nightmare to people still on dial up.

So we have decided to bring in a mandatory sig size limit for both picture and text that will apply to all members.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/ba2b2d48.jpg

While it is ok for a sig to be the width of a post, without breaking the walls of course, it isn't ok for them to be any higher than the red rectangle above which is 130 pixels. We feel that is way big enough.

Everyone will get a week or so grace to give you all time to read this and do something about your sig yourself if it exceeds the size limit. After that, we will begin leaving messages in oversized sigs to reduce them, and if they are not fixed in a resonable amount of time, we will delete them.

Austin Al 05-19-2006 10:37 AM

Re: New Signature Size Limit.

r u like the police of dorks or something... sig's should be what ever size we want them to be.......

Zeromus_X 05-19-2006 10:41 AM

Some peoples' browsers have a hard time loading freakishly huge images, so it really works out well for everybody. And besides, signatures don't need to be incredibly huge. The size decided on is perfectly fine. I don't see why it's really a problem.

Austin Al 05-19-2006 10:51 AM

because it was my fault..... because the picture i made on there, it was really big.. that is why. i have dial up and i don't care so pooo on u.... lol... no but really

why does it matter... if there computers can't load the picture then oh well.... that should not be are fault...

Arkacia 05-19-2006 11:00 AM

First off Austin Al, flameing an administrator is an incredibly stupid thing to do. I seriously suggest you change your tone, or I will give you a permanent holiday away from this site and you won't need to worry anymore about sig sizes, savvy?

It isn't just your fault. There are a few sigs in here that really do go over the top.

It matters because every member on this site has the right to resonable access, and shouldn't have to sit and wait for ages for every page to load just because someone has a massive sig. It is also very annoying to have to scroll like a maniac just to get past the darn things and find the next post in a thread.

This is the rule that has been decided on. It isn't up for compromise. I think the limit is very resonable.

Zeromus_X 05-19-2006 11:02 AM

This doesn't concern just you, alot of members have really oversized signatures. Anyway, it isn't a big deal. It isn't very difficult to keep a signature under the height of the red box.

Edit: Ark got there before me.

Austin Al 05-19-2006 11:12 AM

that is not the point,,,,,, ur sig is gone i see... why did u take it off?

Austin Al 05-19-2006 11:18 AM

the only thing that makes me mad is that u just now are tellin poeple about this..... i like the week notice but still.... i didn't know that u are the administrator..... thank u for make this cool site.... back to the subject.... i understand what u are saying but...... well would u tell me how to change the size of an image....

Austin Al 05-19-2006 11:30 AM

that is so cool the administrator threatened me lol...... i feel bad.... GRRRRR....

Spiff 05-19-2006 12:19 PM

Thanks Arkacia, some of the sigs were getting out of hand. If I remember correctly sigs also consume bandwidth on the board and some sites don't even allow them.

Tiny Bronco 05-19-2006 06:05 PM

Is my signature fine?

And a question. Didn't Shaggy make this site? I always though he did, but I never had a reason to think that.

Arkacia 05-19-2006 07:22 PM

Austin Al, that wasn't a threat, it was a promise ;).

You can shrink images down in programs like paint, photoshop ect. I ususally use paint myself, find it the easiest.

Tiny Bronco, yes you are right. Shaggy did make this site. I just help him out where I can. Your sig is too high I'm afraid. The new limit is 130 pixels, text or images or both.

Squall Lionheart 05-20-2006 11:01 AM

Let's be reasonable, texts can't be compared to pictures...it's a big diffrence...

Tiny Bronco 05-20-2006 11:20 AM

I got rid of my happiness quote. :(
How do you find how many pixels there are in a signature?

Austin Al 05-20-2006 04:58 PM

ok.... fine i'll leave it alone... but i would reather thank of it as a threat.. but a Promise works too... to tell u the truth i don't know why i was freaking out about it.... lol.. i guess all good thingd must come to an end sometime..... i'm just not very good with computers..... not to be mean or anything but u guys r suck ups.... its ok... thank u for letting me join again... and i would hope to be able to make new treands and cool stuff like that... FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS COOL...

Zeromus_X 05-20-2006 05:39 PM

Actually, for people with lots of text, putting your text to the lowest size ('1'), will help shrink down the signature size, if it helps.

ShadowHeart 05-21-2006 06:29 AM

And you can remove the space between the lines too, Squall.

My main problem with large signatures is that there is so much nonsense (well okay maybe not, but I generally don't even look at signatures more than maybe the first time I see one) to scroll over. If someone with a huge signature that takes up tons of room has made a lot of posts in a thread, that means immense amounts of stuff you have to scroll over just to read the actual posts.

Squall Lionheart 05-22-2006 03:21 PM

What I meant was that texts should be allowed a diffrent height than pictures because they don't make as much trouble....

...I'm just asking you to reconsider this decision for the texts...

Arkacia 05-22-2006 11:45 PM

A big sig is a big sig. Whether pictures or text. Both are annoying to other members when they over power posts, and/or take much scrolling to get past. The red box would accomdate 9 or 10 lines of text within the 130 pixel limit, I think that is more than generous for a text sig.

A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make (not just you Squall, that is a general comment).

Squall, yours is too big and needs to be reduced. As I said earlier, this is an announcement of a new forum rule, not a discussion on ways to water it down.

Zeromus_X 05-23-2006 01:35 AM

I'm sure it'll fit if you use the 'sig-cutting' techniques already mentioned. :)

Tiny Bronco 05-23-2006 04:56 PM

Or you could just completely change your sig. like I did. Can't decide on a good color for my text though. :( Any help?

Zerlina 06-03-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkacia
A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make

Or in the case of people on the RP board, about 1/50th of our posts.

Anyways, I just found this thread and realized I'm 1 pixel over. Uh...do you honestly care? Or can I leave it?

Tiny Bronco 06-03-2006 03:41 PM

Zerlina
Quote:

Or in the case of people on the RP board, about 1/50th of our posts.

Anyways, I just found this thread and realized I'm 1 pixel over. Uh...do you honestly care? Or can I leave it?
lol. 1 pixel over.
I bet mine is to big. I'll change the size.

Zeromus_X 06-03-2006 03:56 PM

I'm sure if it's just one pixel too big, it'll be okay. :) (I mean, it isn't some collosal banner, at least.)

Suhiro 06-07-2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkacia
A big sig is a big sig. Whether pictures or text. Both are annoying to other members when they over power posts, and/or take much scrolling to get past. The red box would accomdate 9 or 10 lines of text within the 130 pixel limit, I think that is more than generous for a text sig.

A signature is supposed to be a small addition to every post you make, not something that is 10 times bigger than every post you make (not just you Squall, that is a general comment).

Squall, yours is too big and needs to be reduced. As I said earlier, this is an announcement of a new forum rule, not a discussion on ways to water it down.

ok...but you have a problem...the RPG stats on the left side makes scrolling nececery in any way so putting a sig of say 380x140 is no big deal...you still have scroilling to do...and lots of it too...IMO remove these stats and leave a link to the full stats...that will shorten the overall lenth of the post by a mile and make it easier for the users...

Tiny Bronco 06-07-2006 12:00 PM

Before this rule was forced some people had sigs. that were the length of about two peices of paper. It gets annoying. Its better this way. I don't think the stats arre that long at all. It might be changed anyway though once the RPG is updated.

Zeromus_X 06-07-2006 12:56 PM

You can display them as a drop-down, but I think you've discovered that already. :) Yes, if not dropped-down, they are also space-takers.

Suhiro 06-08-2006 12:36 PM

im just sayin that one pic the size 400x150 max and 3-4 lines of text arent much...

ShadowHeart 06-08-2006 04:29 PM

You can make the RPG stats a dropdown instead of always displaying, it's a setting in your User CP.

Zeromus_X 07-18-2006 07:03 PM

I guess we've been leniant on it, but from now on, I'll be editing (any and all) members' signatures that are too big with a message stating such. You may of course replace the message when you have an appropriate signature, but it's just a little reminder.

Greendragon 07-19-2006 01:45 PM

umm i got the max height of 130 pixels. but whats the max length?

Arkacia 07-20-2006 09:00 AM

The width allowed is roughly the width of a post. The height is more of a concern than the width.

ChocoboMan 07-26-2006 08:45 PM

A couple days ago when i was changing my avartar the maxium was 160 x 160.

richboywonder 07-26-2006 11:44 PM

my signature and avatar are at least 150 by 150 pixels.what's wrong with that.

Arkacia 07-27-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocoboMan
A couple days ago when i was changing my avartar the maxium was 160 x 160.

There is a red rectangle in the first post of this thread. That is as high as you can go. Width remains the width of the sig/post area.

richboywonder, your sig is fine, and looks good I might add :).

John Smith 08-01-2006 12:24 PM

Why don't you hide these things under the avatar?

They are much much bigger than any Sig that can be used

blukazoo159 08-02-2006 02:30 PM

1 question? say if we were to have a sig contest or something, do u think u could mabey, i dont know, drop the sig size limit for just the contest??? please!!! i have a real good one!!!

blukazoo159 08-09-2006 06:20 PM

are u going to answer me??? i just want to know!!!!!!

Arkacia 08-09-2006 09:19 PM

Sorry, I have only just seen this.

I'm not sure about dropping the limit, even if it is just for the contest. Will have to think about it.

Slider 08-12-2006 01:13 PM

Hi,I haven't made a signature yet but I was thinking that wouldn't it be better if you limit it by Kb point of view...that way If someone has a text it wouldn't be injust or if someone has the same size you specified but vertically...What do you think!
P.S. I talking to whoever isthe moderator in here since it's my first time
P.S.S. Don't ban me (yet!)