View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #10

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

Re: Rikku on a fence

It looks great! I like how you tried to stay true to the character.

The problem to me seems to be your anatomy. The proportions are off and it takes away from your art. Some problems which I noticed are the length of her limbs (most especially her arms, but also her legs). They're much too short and this stunts her in a way. Try drawing out guidlines first with a stick figure and then later lumping on shapes. I use ovals, but some people prefer cylinders. Also, her torso is very odd. If you look here , you can see that the breasts should sit on top of the rib cage, and not spill out to the side. If your drawing was actually alive, she'd probably have trouble putting her arms down without hurting herself. Don't worry, though, this is a common problem.
Now, with her face, your main trouble seems to be that everything's placed too high, and also the shape of the face is a little off. If you meant to draw manga then consider that the eyes are usually halfway down the head, and from there you can figure out the rest. Right now, her eyes are in her forhead (or she has a really low hairline). Try drawing a cross across an oval to begin with, and then shape it from there. Good tutorials on this can be found at www.howtodrawmanga.com . For more realistic styles, invest in a good book. [b]Keep in mind manga is just a stylized form of realism, though.[b]
The fence is a manmade object, so using a ruler would be a good idea.
Also, your strokes seem very choppy and abrupt. Draw very lightly first and allow your hands to do as they wish. If the image is too light, it can be darkened once you scan it. Going over it harshly only takes away from your picture.
There. Hope that helps. Nice drawing!

Last edited by Zerlina; 09-18-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Zerlina is offline   Reply With Quote