View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Re: Morality and the human mind--how do we become good or evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
I think you could be right about that, in all honesty...but in my mind, I can't help but want to answer one of the questions that you have presented. WHAT is right from wrong is too easy--it all depends on your perspective. Just HOW we come to conclude what is right from wrong, and why...now THAT is something a little more complex.

So let THIS question be stated, and hope that maybe we can come up with some real answers. Anyone up for a shot at it?

In order to be able to answer this question correctly, you have to have an universal understanding of every culture...heck - every individual for that matter. And you probably still wouldn't be 100% accurate in your analysis.

...or you can answer a seemingly unrelated question: 'What is Truth?' If you have an absolute value of something - it is what it is what it is. xD |-8| = 8. =P |Truth| has to be Truth itself. Many people would argue that truth is something that an individual has to search out and find for themselves. Furthermore; nearly everyone would like to be dealt with by other people honestly. What if my 'truth,' or what I consider to be truth conflicts with your idea of truth? A cycle begins and the only way it can be broken is if there is a standard.

Key thought: Without some standard or way to compare our thoughts, beliefs and values to - there can be no absolute truth and no way of knowing what truth is.

This is why you see the plethora of religions and religious systems out there. All of them saying that their's is the right way to paradise - or...whatever. =P

This is also why the world seems to now - more than any time in history - to have more confusion, anger, hate, injustices, greet, intolerance, bigotry......than at any other time. Many people, without a moral compass, simply get lost in the flow. The only values they may or may not have are the ones they either received from their parents, gathered from the people around them, and/or made up themselves. Hmm...beginning to see a connection between Truth and morality?

When Christ was before Pontious Pilate - at his own hearing - he said these words: "For this I was born, and for this I came into the world to...." Think you can fill in the blank?? As everyone - probably all of the spiritual world also - gathered around him to see how he would respond to Pilate's questioning, he simply said "...to testify to the truth." Want to know what Pilate said?? "Truth, what IS truth." Then he turned and walked away from the one individual who could give him one of the most pursued answers to that question.

There's more to go with this conversation, but I need to get ready to leave for work and this is enough to chew on and digest in conversation in the mean time. Check on ya tonight. ]
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote