View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #13

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor
Re: Morality and the human mind--how do we become good or evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Kurama View Post
... But I'm saying that it is a possibility that any one religion could hold the "Truth" that exists in the world... But, one cannot know the absolute "Truth" until the afterlife, I suppose... But, until then, I will stand by my beliefs and encourage that everyone stand by their true beliefs as well.
That's very true. Any one religion could hold whatever the "truth" is--but we won't really know until we die. But sometimes I wonder; "Why hasn't anyone that's been dead tried to send us any messages from the afterlife?" Maybe it's not possible for some reason--but we still don't know WHY.

Why, who, where. That's what it comes down to, eventually. "Why are we here?" "Who really put us here?" "Where do we go after we die?" Mankind created religion to try and answer these questions, and in turn, it made and implemented some "structure" and "moral values" into society that we still follow today. Of course, since each religion is different in some way, the rules that come with them are all going to be different somehow, and therefore, the answers to all of those basic why, who, where questions won't be the same. If everything's so different, and everyone thinks that they have all the right answers, how are we supposed to come to the real "truth" of those base questions?

This is why I agree with Yoko, saying that nobody will really know until after they're long dead. People can keep believing what they want (and I will, myself,) but I will NOT say that "my way is the only way and I'm right about everything," until I'm dead and gone. =P