View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #8

Mong00se
Moogle Farmer

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

Once again Malice was thrust into the centre of a gruesome battle as demon after demon was launched out of the fog and into the castle walls. The city guards, though noble to their cause, just couldn't amass the power to out-muscle the new wave of attackers. The large demons cut through their lines effortlessly, trampling anything in their paths. Malice watched at villagers fled in directions unknown to them, like labrats in a maze with no prize to guide them. They had but one thing on their mind; to escape from the large demons that were spawning throughout the city.

Malice did his best to fight the demons and keep the people safe. He flew towards the nearest demon, who was wreaking havoc on the west end of the marketplace. The demon swung his large broadsword towards a building, where people stood screaming in the windows. Malice pushed forward on his current, and with all his might he kicked the blade aside. The demon staggered backward, still firmly gripping the blade, and Malice landed gently on the ground, hands on his sheaths. The demon rose once again, and looked down at his minute attacker. The demon grunted through its iron helmet, and raised its sword, ready to strike.

The sun shone from behind the demon, ushering in the midday. Malice's view was slightly obscurred by the flaming light, but he stood steadfast. The demon grunted, then began the slow process of bringing his sword upon Malice. Malice caught a clear view of the sword as the sun was covered for a split second, not by the demon, but by another ghastly silhouette. And then the demon staggered and fell, bracing itself on its large sword. With the demon on its knees, Malice could vaguely make out the shape of Glenn standing on the demons shoulder, sword sticking out of its neck. Malice effortlessly kicked away the sword, and as the demon fell, he leapt upwards, thrusting the dagger through the holes in its mask. Glenn casually jumped off its shoulder as it turned to ash. The armour fell to the ground, a shell of its former self.

'Thanks Glenn,' said Malice, nodding to the young knight with gratification.

Glenn bowed gallantly. 'T'is always a pleasure to serve.'

A scream erupted from the end end of the market. Glenn turned to run, but Malice stopped him.

'Glenn, I need you to stay here and help the people,' he said, staring right into Glenn's eyes. 'Clear them out of the area, and then help those in the east market.'

Glenn nodded. 'T'is always an honour to serve you m'lord.' And with that, he turned and ran.

Malice turned in the direction of the screen, slightly perturbed at Glenn's comment. He quickly shook it off, telling himself that it was neither the place nor the time for such foolish thoughts. He veiled himself, and quickly headed towards the next demon.

The same mithril-clad giant awaited him. Its attention was diverted to the cluster of panicked civilians below as it swiped its large gauntlet towards them, scooping them up and then crushing them within its powerful grasp. Malice hurried towards the people, and when the glove came down for another batch of the helpless townsfolk, Malice uncloaked and grabbed them himself, ushering them out of the way. The demon looked towards Malice, as if confused by what had taken its meal. Malice set down the civilians and attacked the demon with all his might. In under a minute, Malice stood on the helmet that lay propped upon the pile of ash.

With the immediate threats out of the way, Malice headed back to the Kings chamber alone. As he knocked on the door he received a confident welcome, and thus stepped inside the chamber.

'Your heighness, I have news from the front,' he said as he bowed to pay his respect to the monarch.

'And what news bring ye?' replied the King, unerred.

'Sir, the greater demons have been cleared out of the city. All that remains are the small spawns, which are currently being taken care of by my men. Something troubles me though. That attack seemed too short and too weak to be anything but a rouse. I believe there is worse to come, and I believe that it will show itself when that smoke lifts itself in the near future.'

The king raised an eyebrow, interested in the mages report. 'And what do you suggest we do about it?'

'Sir, I say we move all the civilians into a safer place. Get all able bodies to the armoury to be equipped. If they can wield a sword, I want them fighting. I would like to request a regiment of your finest soldiers to fight alongisde my party and I at the head. I do not wish your soldiers to die in vain, for I believe that my friends and I are prepared to meet the challenges that present themselves from the enemy.'

The king waited a moment, and then spoke. 'Very well, you will have the full support of my troops. Tell the soldiers to regroup at the moment, but keep your party alert in case of any trouble.'

'Very well sir,' said Malice, and he bowed. He quickly turned to leave.

The soldiers had withdrawn to their barracks for replenishing, both in body and morale. Malice and the others stood watch over the city, waiting for the demons to present themselves.

Suddenly, Syne propped up from her slouch. 'Look,' she said, pointing out onto the battlefield. 'The smoke is lifting.'

As the smoke cleared, the warriors were shocked at what they saw. Two dozen large cannons were mounted at the base of the treeline, and at their base rested greater demons. The cannons stood ominously, as if waiting for the castle walls to make the first attack.

'So that's how the demons have been getting over the city walls,' said Magus, shedding light on the situation. 'They've been hiding in the smoke the whole time, readying their cannons.'

The cannons suddenly went off with a tremendous bang, shooting more demons at the party. Titania acted quickly, creating a celestial light that pierced the skin of some of the oncoming attackers. The cannonfire landed in the centre of town once again, spawning a new line of demons. These demons resembled large cats. They were jet black, shadows almost, but they bore distinct claws and fangs. As they sprang to life, they slowly stalked the city, pouncing on anything that moved. Though they were unaware of the party's presence, the group saw their amazing power and speed and they toyed with the items of the town.

Just as the party was about to engage this new enemy, the cannons fired again. The demons that unfurled from these cannon blasts were different though. They stood upon four sturdy legs, like those of a grasshopper. They looked humanoid from the waist up, carrying long katana styled swords in both of their hands.

'Alright,' said Malice. 'We have no support right now, so be cautious. We don't yet know the power of these demons, so conserve your energy, and fight to survive as well as to win.'

The whole party nodded, and then sprung into action to engage the enemy.

*((-Sorry for the weak post guys, I'm really tired, but I felt it was my turn-))*