View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #52

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

Re: Same Sex Marrige

You know, it wasn't that long ago that people were convinced that it wasn't 'right' for people of different races to marry, including the churches. Now, who really thinks that except ignorant racists. Times change, people change, attitudes change, ideas change. Rights and recognition for gays is the latest area of change, and like all major social change before it, such as womens rights, there will be some sections of the community who won't accept it under any circumstances.

My opinion is gays should be treated for what they are, people. Not abominations of nature headed for hell, but just people who want to live their lives like any other people and be allowed to make a formal committment to the person they love, and be recognised by the state as that persons legal next of kin and entitled to all benefits that come with that.

So they have a different sexual orientation, so what? They can't breed babies with each other, again so what? Neither can hetro people who are infertile, should they be banned from marriage too?

The two main groups I see opposing gay marriage are 1) Homophobes who hate gays just because they are gay, and because the hater is petrified it is catching. This attitude is down to pure ignorance and the hate is usually passed down from generation to generation. 2) the religious, which I dismiss out of hand. The only people who have to live by religious teaching are those that follow it. I really despise religions who try to force their myths on the whole population through law. Seperation of church and state needs to be fact, not just pretty words.

Marriage is a civil contract between two consenting adults. Nothing more and nothing less. I can't see why the sexuality of the people involved should be a factor.