View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #27

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHeart
Lets not hurt the planet.. I can hear the planet's screams! It's as if it's saying "I'm suffering"..

...ironically - it's not that far from the truth. -_-;

Has anyone seen the documentary by BBC called 'The Planet'? Now, I'm not advertising for them or anything, but this program definitely opened my eyes to a LOT of what I believe 'Industrialised' economies are very slow to catch onto. EXACTLY HOW VALUABLE OUR PLANET IS.

For example...in the US there was several news storying a short while ago about a large population of bees simply dying-off...and no one knew why. What would the price tag look like if all the bees in the world simply perished. MOST of the pollenation of flowering plants is done by these insects - entire harvests would be lost unless mankind took the initiative and stepped in...and that's just ONE species.

Or kelp...the most abundant mass of life on the planet roams the oceans surface. One oil tanker capsizes and the solution for all that oil is to 'dilute' it...yet the kelp eat photoplankton that absorb the oil. Other fish/sea creatures feed on the kelp and you know what....by the time it gets to say......a swordfish - there's a million times the concentration of the amount of oil that was in the water that fish swam in in it's system....based off of what it ate while it matured.

Global economics, overpopulation, under-/incorrect conservation, deforrestation, perhaps...but I would venture to say INCLUDING global warming are all linked and the common bond is man. I feel a strong responsiblility to protect and nurture the world that we are all apart of. My definition of 'success' used to be very Hollywood-driven. But now I realize that success doesn't mean owning a $50,000 car, living in one or two $1/2 Million dollar homes, having a lot of friends or even having a good job. My definition of success means being able to provide for myself (one day hopefully a family) and 'providing' means nourishing meals, shelter and clean water to drink.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we all need to go to the desert, dig a well and live as monks the rest of our lives...I'm not going to do that anyway. But I'm suggesting we all rethink and mastermind to maintain and even BUILD-UP the world and stop letting society tell us what success means and where to find happiness. ;han
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote