View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #3

Mong00se
Moogle Farmer

The town was dead. It looked like a ghost town out of an old western movie. Malice looked around, scanning for any sign of life, but there we not a sound to be made. He looked to the left, to the marketplace. Carts of fresh days produce lined the stands. He looked again to his right to find only the sign of the inn swaying in the wind.

This is wrong he thought. Where are all the people? Has the threat the elders told me about already got to them?

Suddenly, he heard a boisterous cheer from the circular building behind him. From the amplitude of the cheers, Malice estimated the building was carrying over 100,000 people. He walkedd along the sandy streets toward the coliseum, wondering what all the cheering was about. His walk was totally in silence. Not a soul presented itself.

They must really like their leader if they all go to worship him , he thought once more.

As Malice reached the coliseum, he realized just how big the building really was. The decorative arches that marked the entranceway stood at least 150 feet over his head. He stared up at the art finely chisseled into the building's stone, and squinted as the light of the midday sun bounced off it and into his eyes. This truly was a marvellous sight, He woud've liked to meet whoever had built this impressive building.

Another cheer erupted from the building, this one much louder. Malice judged this because the echo a place of this size would creature would be enormous.
They must be celebrating something.

Malice strode through the arches and into a lobby of sorts. A giant stone staircase met his gaze, and he quickly mounted it. The giant stairs seemed to take him forever to climb, but when he reached the top, he was in awe of what he saw.

Thousands of people were packed into the stands before him, all still cheering loudly. Their joyful respite was all addressed to the stage in the centre, to a young woman.

She's their leader? Why, shes no older than I am? he said out loud with a chuckle.

The woman raised her hand, and the cheering stopped. She spoke.

"That will be all for today my fellow countrymen. Remember, at any indication of the other factions in our town, you will run and tell General Rufin, and he and his retainers will handle the issue. If you'd like to become a retainer, then sign up in town hall, but don't try to be a hero. The outside factions are dangerous enough, and we still don't know what stirred them to invade Gracia. Remember, you are all children of Ishia. May the gods be with you."

There was applause this time, and the sound of citizens rising from their seats. Footsteps drew closer to Malice, and he quickly remembered his elders words of warning:

"Malice, you are gone to scout out for anyone who would be able to pick up on magic quickly. Do not cause a stir, and avoid all problems if you can. Stay under the radar."

The town was looking for members of a renegade faction, and the sight of someone who didn't resemble themselves could make them uneasy. He was to avoid all problems, and he'd do just that. He heard the voices of the townsfolk nearing, and riding the current of the air, he became one with the air, invisible to the untrained eye.

He slipped into the wall, unseen.

He stayed in his cloaked form until the majority of the people has left. When silence surrounded him, he slowly slipped out of his guise. He walked into the stands and looked around. The previously filled seats were now empty.

He heard voices from the centre of the stage. Riding the currents silently, he slipped to the base of the stage - staying out of sight - to ensure he'd hear it. The young woman was still standing there, with the man she'd refered to as Rufin. He listened intently as they spoke.

"Rufin, you've known me for a long time, but I don't think I can go on with this charade. The townsfolk suspect a renegade faction. They don't know the real cause of our distress. I fear that if they knew, panic would ensue, and we'd lose all hope of defending the town." Ishia said.

"Then why tell them of any danger?" Rufin. "Let them lead their lives, clueless."

"I'm afraid it's not that easy. The owner of the inn said he found a strange coloured crystal in one of his rooms. It was a daemon stone, a corrupted stone. This problem is over our heads."

Malice was so engaged in the conversation, that he didn't realize that he'd been slipping the whole time. He adjusted his stepping, and gravel scattered along the ground.

"What was that Rufin?" Ishia asked.

Rufin leaned over the side and spotted Malice.

"My leige, it appears we have a trespasser. No doubt from a renegade faction."

Malice spoke, trying to defend himself. "Faction, no. I can assure you I mean no harm."

But Rufin didn't buy it. "Nice try stranger... RETAINERS, COME TO MY AID."

Eight retainers armed with swords and bows appeared from various entrances in the stands. They all drew their bows, and knocked arrows.

"Please sir Rufin," Malice said cooly. "I really don't want to do this. I do not want to test my strength against yours, for I fear we will need to unite soon."

"Nonsense boy, you will taste the arrows of my retainers. FIRE"

The arrows were released from their bows, and they flew through the air toward Malice, who was now standing on the stage.

"I warn you General," Malice said. He took stance, his feet shoulder width apart, his arms out to his side. He spun around, creating a small whirlwind. The arrows struck the wind, and fell harmlessly to the floor.

"Attack him, Draw your Swords!" Rufin commanded, and the retainers ran.

Malice looked past Rufin to Ishia. He bowed. "I'm sorry to have met you under these conditions, but for now I will retreat. May the gods be with you Lady Ishia."

He bent down, and took off from the stage, riding the currents of the wind. He saluted Ishia, and nodded to the general and his men, and sped off through the sky. In order to avoid fuss, he cloaked himself, and left the outer walls. The grand walls of Gracia fell behind him as he flew toward the nearby forest, where he'd make camp. He silently cursed himself for his display, but hoped that he could make things right before it was too late, and the threat was upon them.

Last edited by Mong00se; 02-28-2005 at 09:20 PM.