View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Re: Ask about...God?! ?_?

'If God is kind and loving, then why does he allow suffering in the world?'

As you know - this is no easy question to answer. It involves a little bit of faith, so I pray that you will hear what the heart of what I'm really going to say is. I know it is not me trying to convice you - I would do a terrible job of that anyway and - REALLY - who wants to be conviced of anything anyway?! So, without further ado, allow me to (try and) tackle this question. There is really SOOOO much to it that we could spend several pages simple talking (or arguing - as the Doc said) about why a Holy, loving and caring God would allow the suffering of people; I'll try to keep it to one-to-two posts. =S

First, there has to be evidence that God IS loving, and that He DOES care about us. Over and over again, scripture states the character of God.

Hebrews 6
10God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. 11We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.

Psalm 42
8 By day the LORD directs his love,
at night his song is with me—
a prayer to the God of my life.

Matthew 7
9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

1 John 3
1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! ....and

1 John 3
16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

I want to point out something in the verses above - do you see the heart of God here? 'How can you know God if you don't help those less-fortunate than yourself?!' Those only interested in what live can give them will never 'have it all together.' I believe that there is something that releases us to have fuller, happier lives when give.

1 John 4
7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Getting over anyone's head yet? The above verses are talking about an 'atoning sacrifice,' and that He sent his ONLY SON to be that sacrifice...more on this in a minute. Its simply important to note that God provided the sacrifice - and this was a VERY costly sacrifice.

Still doubting that God loves us - or perhaps you feel like you could never be loved - you are an 'unlovable'? I know I've felt like that before. That's when I'm thankful to hear words of encouragement from scripture to know that I AM loved by God...

How about Hosea 3?
1The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, [AKA: God's people] though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.

Jeremiah 29
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

If you'll indulge me in just one more... The Psalmist writes:
Psalm 103
8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.

9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;

10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;

12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;

14 for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.

15 As for man, his days are like grass,
he flourishes like a flower of the field;

16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.

So, by just these past few verses we see that God is loving. This still doesn't answer our question - Why then, is there still suffering?! Why are people starving, why AIDS/HIV, why the mass-murder, hate crimes, genocide...WHY, IF THERE IS A LOVING GOD WOULD HE ALLOW ALL OF THE ATROCITY IN THE WORLD?!!?

O_o

Well, I have an explanation. This is, by no means, meant to be an exhaustive look at these facts either. More of just a brief history and run-down of how God is choosing to deal with the world today. Admittedly, we understand that there is evil in the world. There's no better example that I can think of off the top of my head of a recent talk show I happened upon at a friend's house. The guest was a gentleman (I use the term very losely) who KNEW he had AIDS/HIV - he was on the show to tell his story. OK, fair enough. So what's he got to say?!

Man: I have had unprotected sex with many men - some of them family men who haven't 'come out of the closet' to their families. I don't care if I'm killing them. I don't care if I'm killing their spouses. I don't care if I'm killing INNOCENT CHILDREN. In my point of view, they should know better to have unprotected sex and if they don't ask - I don't tell.

Host: So you don't feel bad that you could be killing innocents?

Man: No.

Host: And they say that I can't hit people on this show... >_>; What did those children ever do to you?

I got sick to my stomach and couldn't watch it any longer. If anything I would say that this exemplifies the above verse that says that if we don't have love (for others or for ourselves) it shows we don't know God. If I were God - I don't know if I could allow someone like that to live. o_o; I guess I'm thankful that I'm not God....although I sometimes act like it. I have no right to condemn this man. Who am I?! God knows what I've done in this life. However - I think we would all agree that something is not right in the garden...so-to-say. =3

This man, like so many of us, is a slave - living under the law of sin and death. The result of a fallen, broken world that does not know God or the Truth. God said '...do not eat from the tree in the middle of the garden - the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you do you will surely die.' This was a physical death (eventually) because we were designed to live forever - originally anyway. But when Adam and Eve took the fruit after being deceived by Satan, they had a SPIRITUAL death. A death that transcended this life because they sought to become like God. Since then, sin - and death through sin - has been handed down from one generation to the next until today.

Romans 5
12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam.

So, one reason why things are as screwed up is - as Yoko said - we did it to ourselves...sorry, but it's true. But, if that's the only answer you've ever heard up until this point you've been misinformed. Listen to this text:

2 peter 3

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Joel 2
"Even now," declares the LORD,
"return to me with all your heart,
with fasting and weeping and mourning."
13 Rend your heart
and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
and he relents from sending calamity.
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.

Last edited by Phoenix Flame; 02-02-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote