View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #85

Dark FFnut
Cactuar Thorn

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

Palis, The Year 14 Glenn, Fallen Spire

Bathoris stood in the center of the ruins of the Dark Spire. "So..." he hissed softly, "...this place is destroyed after all?"

The fox-like woman walked up beside him. "Of course it was," she muttered. "Naturally, this is the only way to leave Palis, remember? Azrael must have built it so he could escape without being destroyed."

The other woman glared at her. "Silence... Ochiri, I believe your name is?"

Ochiri cast a dirty look. "You would be wise to keep quiet yourself... Miss Dustus."

The woman Ochiri was speaking to laughed. "Dustus? No, that's merely my code name. The name I use... while operating."

Bathoris turned. "So... your true name is not Silver Dustus?"

The woman laughed again. "I have no reason to hide my identity anymore. I am an assassin. My name is-"

"So that's why she seemed so familiar, father," whispered another voice. Hector stepped out from behind a large rock. "It's Viola."

"Viola Awrecan," came another voice, this one belonging to Valmarus. "Assassin of the Four... well, the Three now. I wonder why Bathy didn't recognize you."

Bathoris turned towards Valmarus and suddenly the reason became apparent. Ochiri grinned. "My doing. I needed a demon's eyes to utilize my power."

"You seem familiar too," muttered Hector.

"I should. I did rule Palis for a few months. Of course, when your uncle decided that he wasn't evil and Azrael bit the bullet, I was deposed and that knight took over." Venom overflowed in Ochiri's voice.

Valmarus gave a deep hearty laugh and draped his arm over Ochiri's shoulder. "Masuto Ochiri was a legendary demon of the past. You wouldn't have happened to have taken your name from that legend?"

"You could say that."

Valmarus laughed again. "Excellent. With Azrael gone, there's no reason for them to suspect our new uprising..."

"Uprising?" asked Viola, but Valmarus could hear the excitement in her voice. "Well, I do want a crack at infiltrating the New Gracian defense system... you heard they fired Rufin and hired some new guy... Hige Toboe?"

"Hige?" Hector half-screamed.

Bathoris glared at Hector with his eyeless sockets. The sight was enough to unnerve even the demon general. "Azrael agitated and destroyed the crystal pieces... the Pre del Axion, and look at what happened. They might be able to beat us."

"The past isn't on their side this time," said Ochiri. "The Pre del Axion were the pieces of Variel's seal. They broke because it had been seven hundred years. Azrael had nothing to do with them." She sighed. "And to think... Azrael would build the spire atop his ancient binding place. It was no accident that Kani's reborn soul was named Nichi. The name was taken from the mage who sealed Azrael in this shrine to begin with. Azrael destroyed this shrine to build his spire. Now the spire... and Azrael... are gone as well."

Valmarus rubbed his hands together. "So it's agreed then? We five work together to take Palis for ourselves." The other four nodded in agreement. "Excellent." Valmarus turned towards the stone lying on the ground.

The stone Llideah had given to Kani seven hundred and fourteen years ago.

The Stone of Fate.

"The game is not over..." whispered Valmarus evilly, "...until all players have been destroyed."

((And... that, I believe, concludes the Story of Palis. There's probably not going to be a sequel, despite the fact that there's such a substantial evil force remaining (Three generals, an assassin, and the former queen? Holy hell!) but I think I did a pretty good job of wrapping up any characters we missed in the other things. I may lurk for a few more days to see if we add anything else, but... this is my last post here, for good, unless I have a comment about someone else's epiloguing. It's been great being here and working on this story, guys. I hope to see you all on some other boards or some other writing efforts (Zerl, give me the info on Mong's other project he mentioned!) later on.

Remember, though the book may be closed...

...the ending has never truly been written. Thanks, guys.))

Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
From deep within the flow of time...

But, for a certainty, back then,
We loved so many, yet hated so much,
We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed,
Under cerulean skies...