View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #27

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

The air was cold, but the wind was filled with ash. Titania coughed, her body feebly trying to rid itself of the poison that was everywhere.

The battlefield was smoky now, and the men could scarcely see the ground before them. They cried aloud as death found them one by one, striking their names from the list of existence. Though they stood and fought together, the enemy sword ushered in a journey they would have to make alone.

The walls crumbled as more siege weapons arrived, the ancient stone falling to the cold, steel battering rams. As the gray stone tumbled in a cloud of dust, the men scattered. But fate seemed cruel to one, and as he fled, the oil gutter collapsed, following a weakness further away. The man jumped back, but slipped, unable to rise and aware of the fire that was making its way toward him.

There was a burst of white and in a moment, the soldier found himself surrounded by flame, but somehow protected. Perhaps some higher power had kept him alive? Or perhaps something closer to the ground.

Though the city fell around them and fire blazed along the rampart, there now was hope. In losing Kain, the demons had lost all organization, and now there were no more advances they could make.

Light and air trailed after Titania’s hands as she skillfully controlled her magic. Her motions were fluid, more refined than when she had first begun, and –indeed- more effective. Now there was a grace -a beauty in the skill- and it seemed almost impossible that such light could end life.

The demons were moving back now, slowly withdrawing from the city they no longer knew how to conquer. Titania ran along the gate, her icy cheeks flushed with excitement. That same adrenaline that had flowed through her in Gracia now returned to her veins, this time pulsing at her control, unconsciously pressing her to continue.

“We’ve retaken our city!” cried one of the men, seeing how the demons fled, and now only a few remained.

They cheered of victory, chiding on each other as they finished off the last of the enemy.

But all was not over.

Titania raced back to the wall where the fallen soldier still stood, protected by the aura she had created. By now the fire had dissipated, and it was safe to allow him out into the world.

She kneeled, helping the fallen man up and preparing to heal his wounds, when suddenly the cold air was broken, and a shadow of fear washed over her. Cast on the ground before her was a shadow of a beast, and in a moment the greatest force she’d ever felt, pulled at her shoulder.

She bled from where the hand had touched her, and even her own magic could not stop the burning. The force had caused her to turn and when she stared up at her attacker, she was struck with fear.

When he was so close, he could see into her soul- her eyes glass broken with his sharp gaze. He had her by the neck, holding her steady so he could stare at her like this, and see the fear he now instilled. Coldly, he touched her cheek, seeming satisfied when she shuddered in pain.

“Marble has become porcelain.’ He laughed, knowing that now she could not stop him “What is this new life you have, Llideah? One where you are afraid? One where I can pierce your spirit?”

He had slipped here, and in a moment he realized it, yet he kept his composure, pretending not to have faltered.

“I always could have. I always knew what you hid from me- what you did not tell me. But you see, Llideah, this body…this version of me is missing that.”

His speech was inconsistent and she could tell that he was mad. The hate, the insanity in his eyes raged, but still she could not argue- her throat was closed with pain at his clenched hand.

“Little Delilah, now you’ll see what it means to be faithful to a lord.” He smirked, as she screamed, blood and spirit flowing from her neck only to disappear in his hands “Your life is mine now- when I die, you die. You can’t betray me anymore- you’ll only be destroying yourself. From now on, you can’t walk away from me. And from now on what you see is no longer secret.”

She burned with pain but now a new spark flickered in her mind. He had done it. Once more he had sealed his own fate.

With this a feeble smile came to her face, and as it did, Kani’s grin disappeared. She stared at him, unafraid, and laughed despite the tightness in her throat. She knew now how Llideah had destroyed him the first time.

“You are such a fool…” she smirked.

Last edited by Zerlina; 02-20-2006 at 11:28 PM.