View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

Final Fantasy IV faq by Zeromus_X

*EDIT* Added in the Disclaimer, Foreward, and the Table of Contents.
*EDIT* Edited out Gamefaqs information, as it never got accepted.

Final Fantasy IV Walkthrough
by
‘Zeromus_X’ (Neo_Zeromus_X)

-------------
Disclaimer
-------------

This Walkthrough (soon to be Walkthrough/Faq) is copyright 2006 Zeromus_X If you really must absolutely have to use this on your site or whatever, just ask and there’s a good chance I’ll say yes. Just don’t be an ass and yoink it for your own personal use without asking me. For now, I’m only letting FFNet (http://www.ffnet.net/forum) use it. I’ve only completed the Walkthrough section for now (y’know, the most important part really), but I plan to add other things (lists, bestiary, etc.) later on. But for now, enjoy the bare walkthrough/story summary.

If you have any questions, comments, and most importantly feedback or corrections, contact me at [email protected] for e-mail. Contact me at [email protected] for my MSN address. Take note that isn’t my real e-mail address, just the address for my MSN account. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback, so don’t hesitate to leave any.

------------
Foreword
------------

This walkthrough is for the Playstation version of Final Fantasy IV, packaged with Chrono Trigger in a collection titled ‘Final Fantasy Chronicles’. Final Fantasy Chronicles isn’t common now, but nor is it extremely rare. I’m sure you can find one if you look around used game stores and check online, though prices for older games online are quite a bit more inflated than they really should be. I bought mine used at GameStop (before they stopped exchanging older games) for 19.99. If you look around, I’m sure you’ll find one eventually. If you do find one, you’ll probably find a Greatest Hits version, as they’re more common than the original print.

Now, of course, the Playstation version of Final Fantasy IV is far from the first version of the game. The game was first released in Japan for the Super Famicom, the fourth title in Square’s hit role playing game series, Final Fantasy. However, many complained that the game was too difficult, and as such, another, easier version was released in Japan dubbed Final Fantasy IV ‘Easytype’. Many things were altered, but the point was that it got a lot easier for the common player. The final boss’ appearance was also altered, and looks a lot less grotesque, to say the least.

Most westerners will probably recognize the game as it’s next version, under the title of ‘Final Fantasy II’ on the SNES. For marketing reasons, Square released Final Fantasy IV as the second Final Fantasy title in North America, and as to not confuse everyone, they named it ‘Final Fantasy II’. Final Fantasy VI followed it, as ‘Final Fantasy III’. When released in North America on the SNES, many things were tweaked; the names of enemies and characters for censorship and space restrictions, and many other things editted due to Nintendo of America’s past strict content guidelines. The game also had many abilities, spells, and items removed from it, making it much less complex. The game’s localization suffered immensely, as proper game translation wasn’t a priority back then.

The next version of the game came out in Japan for Bandai’s short lived handheld, the Wonderswan Color. This version features highly enhanced graphics, but is pretty much the same as the original Japanese version. The sound is pretty crappy, unfortunately.

In the future, the Final Fantasy IV ‘Hardtype’ (the original Japanese version of the game) was unnoficially fan translated by a group called J2e Translations, who have done game translations in the past. By using a Super Nintendo emulator (on your computer) and a copy of the Japanese ROM of the game, it was possible to use their translation patch to be able to enjoy the original, uncut version of the game on your own computer, in English no less. Some artistic liberties were taken for the script, however, but it remains more faithful to the original than the North American SNES version, including all the missing items and abilities.

Later on, it was re-released in Japan again on the Playstation, as a stand-alone game. Later, Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI were re-released on the Playstation in Japan as a part of the ‘Final Fantasy Collection’. A port of the game for North America was released, the version this guide covers, in the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection, along with Chrono Trigger, another famous Square Role Playing Game. It retains the same difficulty and skills, spells, and items as the original version of the game, so this is pretty much the true Final Fantasy IV. Another option would be the Game Boy Advance version. Final Fantasy IV for the Playstation was also re-released in Europe in Europe’s version of Final Fantasy Anthology, bundled with Final Fantasy V, the first time either of those games were released in Europe. The game features an almost entirely revised script, free of the localization woes the North American SNES version faced. Final Fantasy Chronicles enjoyed Playstation Greatest Hits success, joining the club with the other numerous Final Fantasy titles and collections.

Final Fantasy IV was next released for the Game Boy Advance in Japan, North America, and Europe. It includes many added features, most noticeably an ATB bar, new bonus dungeons and equipment, and especially the ability to switch out characters in your party for others after a point in the story, unavailable in the original versions. Unfortunately, due to having far more convenient options and configurations, and some bugs in the game, it suffered in the difficulty department, especially to old school players of the game. The game’s localization uses more or less the Chronicles’ script, with some revisions, and more letter space for proper fitting of enemy and equipment titles.

So, as you can see, Final Fantasy IV has had a history.

Now, onto the walkthrough. It is, of course, a walkthrough of the North American Playstation Final Fantasy Chronicles version of the game. It can be used as a walkthrough for the other version of the game, but take note that many enemy, spell, and other terminologies differ between the many versions of the game. The basic story remains the same, however, and most strategies.

Also, take note, that this walkthrough contains spoilers of the plot, as it’s summarized inside the walkthrough. By all means, use another walkthrough if you don’t want the story ruined for you. It isn’t like this is the best walkthrough in the world anyway.

With all that, just enjoy the walkthrough. I hope it explains everything clearly. If you’re ever confused about something or feel that something could be written better, feel free to contact me.

---------------------
Table of Contents
---------------------

((This is for users of the text walkthrough))

To navigate this guide more smoothly, and to find information in a certain section of the walkthrough, use the ‘Ctrl+F’ function, used in many other walkthroughs. Press the Ctrl and F keys on the keyboard at the same time to open up a little search bar. Type in a term and click on ‘Find Next’ or ‘Find Previous’ to navigate the walkthrough searching for that term. Also, use the section numbers in this table of contents to skip to specific sections. Hopefully this will each frustration in looking for specific information.

CONTENTS

((Page one of the FFNet thread has the following information))

Chapter One

1.0 - Introduction

1.1 - Castle Baron

1.2 - Town of Baron

1.3 - Mist Cave

1.4 - Mist

1.5 - Kaipo

1.6 - Water Cavern- South

1.7 - Water Cavern- North

1.8 - Damcyan

1.9 - Antlion Lair

1.9.1 - Return to Kaipo

Chapter Two

2.0 - Mount Hobs

2.1 - Fabul

2.2 - Baron-bound Ship

2.3 - Mysidia

2.4 - Mount Hobs

((Page Two of the FFNet thread has the following information))

2.5 - Return to Mysidia and the Devil’s Road

2.6 - Return to Baron

2.7 - Waterway

2.8 - Castle Baron (Part One)

2.9 - Castle Baron (Part Two)

Chapter Three

3.0 - But Before We Do That...

3.0.1 - Agart

3.0.2 - Mythril Village

3.0.3 - Mist

3.0.4 - Eblan Castle

3.1 - Troia (Town)

3.2 - Troia (Castle)

3.3 - Magnetic Cavern

3.4 - Tower of Zot (Part One)

3.5 - Tower of Zot (Part Two)

3.6 - Return to Troia

((Page three of the FFNet thread has the following information))

3.7 - Agart and the Entrance to the Underworld

3.8 - Dwarven Castle (Part One)

3.9 - Dwarven Castle (Part Two)

Chapter Four

4.0 - Tower of Babel (Part One)

4.1 - Tower of Babel (Part Two)

4.2 - Pitstop at Baron

4.3 - Eblan Cave

4.4 - Return to the Tower of Babel

4.5- Return to Dwarf Castle

4.6 - But Before We Do That, Again...

4.6.1 - Tomra

4.6. 2 - Kokkol’s Smithy

4.6.3 - Cave of Summons

4.6.4 - Town of Summons

4.6.5 - Sylph Cave

4.7 - Sealed Cave

4.8 - Dwarf Castle

4.9 - Mysidia

Chapter Five

5.0 - Wait a Minute! Don’t Go to the Moon Just Yet!

5.0.1 - Fabul

5.0.2 - Sylvan Cave

5.0.3 - Fabul

((Page four of the FFNet walkthrough has the following information))

5.0.4 - Adamant Grotto

5.0.5 - Kokkol’s Smithy

5.0.6 - Castle Baron

5.1- To the Moon!

5.2 - Lunar Paths

5.3 - Crystal Palace

5.4 - Hummingway Home

5.5 - Cave Bahamut

5.6- Return to Earth

5.7 - Giant of Babil

5.8 - Core of the Moon (Part One)

5.9 - Core of the Moon (Part Two)

Last edited by Zeromus_X; 06-20-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Zeromus_X is offline   Reply With Quote