View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:43 AM   #32

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

Re: Chapter 3: In The Clouds

((Ah yes, aren’t you all sick of me posting so much? Well I’m posting one last time before I head off to vacation! Twill be back in a week!))

As the moon fell behind the ruddy cliffs, Brian trudged away, his feet dragging in the soggy mud. A revelation had come over him, and in an instant he felt as if his recent life were nothing but a dream. His real, tangible self had returned to him like a mother to its child, and now he stood, ready to conquer any obstacle.

“So erm…who might you be?” he asked, turning to Syne.

“Well that depends who’s asking…” she answered playfully, as she dusted off her clothes “Be you a friend or a foe?”

Her voice fluctuated in a humorous manner despite the danger of the moments before, and as she looked around the fire it was clear to the others that she would not have a hard time adjusting.

“Friend, hopefully.” Malice answered, with a curious smile tugging at his lips.

“Then I am Syne Rya.” She said, in a mockingly regal tone, as she bowed “And who might you be?”

“Malice Aquino.”

“And Glenn!” came an excited voice from a corner that the others had nearly forgotten.

“When did he get here?” Titania asked Magus “Was there a storm when I slept?”

He looked at her perplexed “You mean to say you don’t remember him?”

She shook her head.

“We’ll speak about it later.” Magus muttered and then turned to the new-comer “I am Magus.” He said in his usual deep tone.

“And Titania!” came an effeminate chiding.

“And who’re they?” Syne pointed to the two shadow figures who had already begun a new poker game.

“That would be Belial and Osirus.” Magus said, knowing they could not be bothered to speak to the new girl.

“Well then!” she announced in a bubbly voice. “Now that I know all your names, I suppose you have to be nice, or else I can turn you all in!”

Belial looked up from his cards, as if ready to throw one at her.

“Oh, I’m only joking.” She said, realizing that no one had understood “I won’t actually turn you in to anyone. I wouldn’t even know who to talk to.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Well that’s a relief.” Magus said, faintly “Come, sit! Tell us who you are!”

“Yes, yes. Speak to us. Anything that will stop us from falling asleep.” Malice agreed, and soon everyone had found a seat by the fire.

“Well…what would you like to know?” she asked, stretching her legs out on the ground.

“How is it that thy lovely presence has come to grace us here in this world?” Glenn asked, his gaze seeming to be absent and glossy.

“Hm…there was a storm. Then I was here. Next!”

The others seemed dazed by the quickness of her speech, and so there was a long silence.

“I have a question for you.” Malice spoke up, in a serious manner “What is it that Nichi meant when he said he ruled over Palis 700 years ago?”

“I think I can explain that.” Syne said, feeling quite intelligent “Though keep in mind, I am only repeating information. I’m not too sure about it all.

Once there was a great Demon Lord who ruled over this place. Somehow he was destroyed, and his spirit was divided into three in order to stop him from returning to the world. Nichi, and I are part of him, and so is The Pervert.”

“Brian.” Malice corrected.

“Since when do you know his name?” Magus laughed.

The coming of Syne had seemed to lighten the mood, and though the group knew they would not be able to sleep for the next few days, nor even let their guard down, they were for a moment joyous, basking in the presence of one who had not yet felt the burden of the world. In her all of them saw themselves in a time long forgotten, and though they would not admit it, most of them wished they could return to it.

Last edited by Zerlina; 07-01-2008 at 04:39 AM.