View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #79

Dark FFnut
Cactuar Thorn

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

As the group ascended the spiraling tunnel, Glenn could feel the "block" in his mind fading. He still couldn't quite ascertain what Noah was trying to tell him, but...

The tunnel opened up into a great empty room. In the center stood the demon that he'd seen in his dreams.

Kani smiled unpleasantly. "My generals need not be here... especially now, when they lead my army to annihilate your precious Palis!"

Glenn drew the Mastermune. The two demons grinned and cracked their knuckles. Sacryan squinted at Kani. Kirby grabbed his sketchpad. Titania unsheathed Malice's daggers.

"Fools! You'll still feel the wrath of Kani!"

A powerful dark wind began to blow around the room. Greater and greater, until the walls began to crack. Large breaches appeared around the room until the demon's wind tore off the tower above them.

Suddenly it was familiar - the top of the spire, where Kani battled the others before.

"NOW!" the demon thundered. "YOU! WILL! ALL! PERISH!" He lobbed a ball of darkness at the group, which Glenn deftly deflected.

"No."

Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"No? What do you mean 'no,' Noah?" Kani's voice was sickening.

"You want Palis? You can take it. I care not. But you attacked me. I cannot abide by that."

"You BETRAYED me!"

"Because of her." Noah jerked his thumb at Llideah. "She turned me against you. Even now, Variel and Gadriel lie dead because of both your and her doing." He shook his head. "I should have seen it from the beginning. Even when you turned me against her... you are equally to blame for these crimes. You both deserve to rot in the deepest hells for eternity..."

"...but you won't." Glenn dove at the demonic creature before them, weapon outstretched. Kani grabbed him and easily tossed him aside.

"Foolish knight, Glenn. You know deep down that Malice killed Magus. Why bother blaming me for his sins?"

"He... wouldn't have... if... not for your... general..."

"Kain? Yes, indeed. Kain did fail me, though, when Malice took him down. Unlike that nasty Gadriel, Malice had some battle skills. I did delight in destroying him as well. It was a pity to watch such a warrior go to waste, just like..."

"...his father."

Llideah launched into her own rage at this, but Kani gripped her by the throat.

"Sweet sweet Llideah. Oh how I've longed to do this to you. You betrayed me far more than Noah there did. And you see his reward? He lies there, on the verge of death. Death is much too lenient for your crime. You know what must happen?" The monstrosity's claw extended.

Llideah looked Kani in the eye. "It matters not what you do to me."

"Why?" he hissed.

"Because, Kani, you've already killed me. I died when you killed him. You murdered me as well when you murdered..."

"...Malice."

Lightning crashed as Kani sunk his claws into Titania's side. She cried in pain.

Sacryan rushed forward but was blasted backwards by Kani's energy. Belial and Osirus were rooted to the spot.

It fell to Kirby.

He grabbed a sketchpad and quickly drew a simple sword. It clattered to the groun and he grabbed it, slicing at the demon. A horrible shriek of pain issued from Kani as he dropped the girl. "You! It's impossible! You weren't sealed! You couldn't have been sealed! Gah! My arm! Look what you've..."

"...done to me, woman!"

Ishia grinned as the dark blood flowed from the demon. She had regained consciousness as Kani was monologuing to Llideah. Ishia herself was thrown backwards, gripping the side of the tower as the evil winds blew below.

Kirby and Sacryan both tumbled down into the abyss.

"You. We fly. Now."

"What? You've gone soft if you think I'm going down there to risk my neck for a couple of mortals."

"They weren't supposed to be here and you know it. That's not Kani who knocked them over. That's... something else. We're not supposed to be here either. You know what'll happen to us?"

"What happens happens and- GHAK!"

Belial grabbed Osirus by the throat and dragged him down, chasing the two falling figures below.

Noah had stood up by this point. Llideah was crawling away from the demon, who was still clasping his arm in agony.

"So... Kani... had enough?"

Kani glared maliciously at the knight. "Dearest Noah... it seems that both yourself and Llideah deserve death here. Continuing to put you in agony threatens my survival. So instead, I will simply..."

"...kill you both now!"

Kani grabbed the back of Titania's cloak and leapt towards Glenn. He reached for the knight who raised his blade and sliced the demon a second time. Another unearthly howl escaped the demon's lips. He whirled around and hurled Titania off into the distance. He drew his own sword and began a duel with Glenn for the ages.

CLANG.

CLANG.

CLANG.

The duel raged on, neither one conceding a millimeter to the other. Lightning continued to crash about the battlefield.

"Remarkable, Glenn. You know that? You have almost the exact skill as Noah did seven hundred years ago. You know that he taught me everything I know about swordplay?" A quick thrust almost caught Glenn off guard, but he managed to catch it quickly. "Hm, indeed. You do show much promise, Glenn."

"Noah hath taught thee everything thou knowest..."

"...but I didn't teach you everything I know." Suddenly Noah delivered a few lightning-fast thrusts and pierced Kani's guard. Numerous stab wounds appeared in the demon's gut, which caused him to topple.

"You... you would kill me then, Noah?"

"Llideah's already gone, I see no reason not to now."

Kani let out another sharp gasp, in an attempt to chuckle. "You think she's gone? Not with... with Gadriel's gift." He extended a clawed finger to the sky. "Look."

Noah followed Kani's finger to a white-clad figure in the sky borne of wings of electricity. "No... that can't be..."

Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
From deep within the flow of time...

But, for a certainty, back then,
We loved so many, yet hated so much,
We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed,
Under cerulean skies...