View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #13

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

In a second Magus had been pulled from the safety of the earth and thrown into a seemingly uncontrollable vortex. He inhaled the cold ambrosia and let it infest his body, and fill every crevice with its chilled sensation. When finally they touched ground, Magus’ head was light and his vision spun, though he would not admit nor let on to it. What he had tasted was the nectar of freedom, and the joy of not being bound to the earth. This made him begin to wonder- how was it possible that Malice could sustain such powers and still have the ability to do battle with steady reasoning? Perhaps for him the joy in such things had been lost long ago, as many good things are. Or perhaps it truly was his only escape- his only way of breaking free from the cruel chains which bound him to the demoniac world.

Though he never spoke of it, Magus had to admire his comrade and how he had grown from a stubbourn and careless child into a loyal and vigilant leader. Were he to turn back time and find the boy who first came on a messenger’s duty to Gracia, he never would have thought that that child was the same as the man who stood before him.

Such thoughts pass in a second, and so only one had passed when Magus had finished these musings. Turning slowly to his comrade, he sighed.

“These demon bastards have taken slaves from Gracia…” he muttered “Human or not, Gracians are loyal people, devoted to their queen. They would not fight against their own kind unless they were being controlled, or there were consequence.”

“I should have guessed.” Malice said with disgust “There is no such thing as honour for these monsters. They are probably forcing the soldiers to battle against their own will.”

“This makes it all the more difficult. How will we tell the difference between the enemy and our allies now? It is no longer so simple as looking at their face.”

“Humans fought wars with each other ages before the demons reduced their numbers. It is possible to see who the enemy is even if they do look similar. Keep this in mind- we are now in the north where the winters are longer and the sun is less harsh. Gracians are from the south of the continent. Their skin will be dark while the soldiers from this city will be fair.

Still, we must try not to harm the Gracian soldiers unless it is necessary. They have no say in what they do, and perhaps they still have families who await them.”

Magus shook his head “It is unfortunate. See how much blood stains the ground now? If there is any one race that suffers, it shall be the humans. No matter who wins this war.”

Malice nodded and stared down at the frozen, crimson stream, whose path (though long stopped) still stained the ground he stood upon. Beside him, against the city wall, he saw a line of crates, and an outstretched hand coming from behind, its motionless palm turned upward toward the sky. He assumed this was where the blood came from and for a moment stared at it, and at the gold bracelets which still remained along its wrist, their value showing only through small gaps in the blood.

“I feel sorry most for the townspeople.” He muttered, turning away from the gruesome sight “They could not even defend themselves.”

“We shall at least do them one last honour.” Magus began “Afterwards, we shall properly bury them and go through the right ceremonies to ensure their souls find their way home. It is what everyone wants and deserves.”

Malice nodded “It is a shame…what place will their spirit have to live? With no family to care for their souls and no place to dwell?”

“We have not lost the battle yet.” Magus reminded him “There may yet still be a place for the dead to go.”

“Hige…” muttered Kain “How are the preparations for the next attack?”

“They are in place, sir.” Hige replied, unable to look the demon in the eye “But I must continue to protest. This form of warfare is…is dishonourable! It is too cruel.”

Kain laughed “Is that not why we are doing it? You have grown to question my authority much in these last days and I am becoming sick of it. It is time you learn your place and your duty! We have done you a favour giving you this position. We could easily switch you to the rack if you’d prefer.”

Hige fell silent and nodded “I will do as you say…”

Glenn removed his gauntlets and plunged his hands into the icy water of a stream while Syne watched.

“At least we’ve cleared the grounds out here a little.” She muttered, “I wonder how they’re doing inside the walls.”

“Do not give it such thought, m’lady.” Glenn said “Thy temperament begins to resemble that of a woman’s!”

“Well that’s what I am!” Syne retorted “And men can worry if they wish. It is a natural human emotion.”

“Nay, fair maid.” Laughed Glenn “Perhaps a man may care for the safety of his comrades, but he will never vocalize it in the way that a woman does.”

“Y-“

“Shhh!” Glenn interrupted her.

He pointed toward the woods, which now were charred and black as coal.

“Something moves in yonder trees…” he warned, unable to tell what it was amongst the smoke, which still slithered along the grounds.

Slowly, Syne drew her sword and braced herself for whatever might emerge from the woods.

Last edited by Zerlina; 10-19-2005 at 10:23 PM.