View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #19

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Re: Ask about...God?! ?_?

There's instances I can think of where it doesn't seem like we have free will at all (Moses and Pharaoh - God said that He would harden pharaoh's heart...) In revelation it says that the names of God's people are written in a book. (The Book of Life.) Also, it says that God woos us to Him, drawing us closer towards Him by His Spirit.

...but also, there's plenty to suggest that we have our own free will.

The main thing that gets my attention about your post is this: God being less-than all-powerful. To that I can only give one response. In view of evil - our actions that displease him (and those of the Devil's I might add....and this is just in light of what scripture talks about) I think that God allows it for two reasons. One, He is slow to anger and wants everyone to come to know Him. The second is more of a question to get you to think to the heart of the matter.

Let's say you were a parent of a teenager. You KNOW that they are doing something that you don't condone - or that you didn't do when you were young (example: smoking pot I guess.) You tell them over and over that its bad for them, that they shouldn't do it because its illegal and they could get into trouble for doing it...

...but they do it anyway. What are you forced to do? You love them so you might lay down some law, perhaps correct them/disipline them, maybe even kick them out of the house... but you don't kill them or disown them. You let them know that you love them and will accept them back if/when they are ready and willing to change.

Essentially, that's the way I think God thinks of us - as His children who are lost. We do our own things oblivious of the rules He's made and the correction He's shown. We want our own way and (oftentimes) completely ignore His instruction to our own misfortune; all the while we think 'lolyay I'm having fun.' D =

I know that not many people here share my opinions (and that's fine.) I comment on things that I believe are wrong, and I respect that everyone here has different beliefs and encourage everyone to seek out truth. To not stop until you have found it (and KNOW that its what its being sold-as is what it is.)
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote