Old 06-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #6

Dark FFnut
Cactuar Thorn

Re: FFnut's Guide to Final Fantasy Tactics

Battle Thirty-Seven: The Other Engineer

Objective: Defeat Balk!
Enemies: Balk (Engineer), Knight x 2, Archer x 2, Wizard
Guests: None

FFnut’s Notes: Remember this man’s face – later it will become a source of despair.

Balk will lob some sort of bomb at you, poisoning your team. Then his soldiers will come out and you’ll be in trouble. He’s got nasty Snipe skills just like Mustadio, and his Blaze Gun (which deals ice damage, don’t get confused by the name) can sometimes nail you with powerful spells. Focus everything you have on him and he should fall. Ignore everything else – healing is almost a waste of turns for this battle.

Battle Thirty-Eight: Garrison’s South Wall

Objective: Defeat All Enemies!
Enemies: Ninja, Knight x 3, Archer x 2, Thief

FFnut’s Notes: You only fight this battle if you decide to storm the South Wall. I found this to be the harder battle.

The archers and ninja can be enormous pains, so deal with them first. The thief can also steal some of your equipment or charm your characters, so deal with him next. The knights are useless, leave them for last.

Battle Thirty-Eight: Garrison’s North Wall

Enemies: Summoner, Lancer x 2, Monk, Archer x 2

FFnut’s Notes: You only fight this battle if you decide to storm the North Wall. I found this to be the easier battle.

Try to get over the wall and finish the summoner and archers quickly. The monk can be taken out with little thought and the lancers aren’t as dangerous as thee other guys are. Spells can help a lot in this battle.

Battle Thirty-Nine: Those Knights Are The Tactics Version Of Campers

Objective: Open The Water Gate A Bethla Garrison!
Enemies: Knight x 4, Wizard x 2, Archer x 2

FFnut’s Notes: I hate this battle. It is literally the most difficult battle from this point on (some Lucavi and the some of the final chain of battles excluded).

The point of this mission is to hit the two switches on the floodgate that the knights are standing on. To do that, Ramza (nobody else can do it) must step on both of those panels over the course of the battle. Unfortunately, those knights do not move. At all. The easiest way to do this is to confuse them – this will force them to move off the panels, allowing Ramza to hit them. Alternately, you can try and kill every enemy on the screen before moving Ramza onto the switches, but your style of play should dictate your decision on how to deal with this battle.

FFnut’s Notes: At this point you will receive God. Or at least the Thundergod.

Breaking into the castle, you’ll rescue Cidoflas Orlandu. Also called the Thundergod or T. G. Cid, your game has just become extremely easy. Your next stop is Germinas Peak. Make sure to use Orlandu every chance you get – he is Gafgarion, Agrias, and Meliadoul all rolled into one class. If you don’t like making the game too easy, you don’t have to use him, but most of my strategies from here on in involve using him.

FFnut’s Notes: If you doubt this man’s power, you are an IDIOT. “But, FFnut, there can’t be any character that strong, it will unbalance the game!” I respond with, “Remember I told you about that super-hard random battle that appears at Barius Hill in Chapter 4? This man ALONE helped me live through that battle – I was caught entirely unprepared.”

Battle Forty: Proof That God Exists

Enemies: Ninja, Archer x 3, Thief x 2

FFnut’s Notes: Orlandu. Is. God.

Orlandu’s AllSwordskill will annihilate all of your enemies. If you leave Excalibur equipped to him, he’ll have Auto-Haste and high attack power. This battle is cake.

Battle Forty-One: He’s Not Bad With Undead Either

Enemies: Summoner, Archer x 2, Oracle, Revenant x 2

Bring someone with life-bringing abilities (Phoenix Down or Raise, for example) and Orlandu. Excalibur is Holy elemental, making all of the damage he deals to undead with regular attacks or AllSwordskill deal extra damage. Easy.

Rofel, one of Vormav’s henchmen, will talk to Dycedarg about something rather strange. We know that Mosfungus killed Larg and the Hokuten, and we’ve had some experience firsthand (Balk’s poison bomb), but those were large doses. According to this, small doses make it seem like you have a cold. After a long time of taking small doses, it makes it look like you died of cold complications. Balbanes also died of a cold, didn’t he? Then Rofel gives Dycedarg a Holy Stone. What the hell is going on here?

FFnut’s Notes: Change Ramza back into his base Squire class, and equip him with an N-Kai Armlet and a Black Costume. Try to give him as much HP as possible through his helmet. Why? You can learn his "ultimate" ability in the next battle by getting hit by it, and the assassins won’t use it unless you’re immune to stop and charm.

Battle Forty-Two: Ultima Assassins

Enemies: Celia (Assassin), Lede (Assassin), Apanda x 5

The objective lies. You only have to critical one of the assassins to win. If you follow my notes, learn Ultima from either assassin. Then hurt them with violence.

Celia and Lede will report to Vormav and Elmdor. Elmdor will go to deal with you.

Battle Forty-Three: The Wonders Of Facelifting

Objective: Defeat Elmdor!
Enemies: Elmdor (Arc Knight), Celia (Assassin/Ultima Demon), Lede (Assassin/Ultima Demon)

If you bring a thief, you can steal Elmdor’s unique equipment, but it’s not necessary. Instead, just pound on him. If you kill either assassin it will turn into an Ultima Demon, but I enjoy just slamming Elmdor to the ground. The major limiting factor here is Elmdor’s Blood Suck technique. Finish him quickly.

Battle Forty-Four: The Dark Angel

Objective: Defeat Zalera!
Enemies: Zalera (Angel of Death, Lucavi), Knight x 2, Skeleton, Bone Snatch, Living Bone
Guests: Meliadoul (Divine Knight)

Elmdor finally snaps, and the Gemini Stone brings forth the Angel of Death. Meliadoul just happens by as he uses it and realizes that the stones are evil and that the Lucavi killed Izlude.

Angel of Death Zalera
Abilities: Flare 2
Strategy: This battle is easy. Just protect Orlandu as he waltzes in and slaughters Zalera. Meliadoul is almost useless here, because her Mighty Sword can only affect humans, but she’s decent all the same.

Meliadoul joins and you get the Sagittarius stone as well. She’s almost worthless, because Orlandu has all of her abilities and more, but let her tag along anyway.

FFnut’s Notes: Now the plot’s picking up. Zalbag knows that Dycedarg killed Balbanes, Delita’s the ruler of the Nanten, the princes are dead, and Vormav and the church are gaining power. Dycedarg has a Holy Stone now, and it looks like it’s impossible to avoid confrontations with anyone or anything. This is the home stretch here, and there are still a few more twists before we reach the end of the ride. Don’t worry, though, I’m not quitting on you yet!

Battle Forty-Five: Yes, Dycedarg Is The Oldest…

Objective: Defeat Dycedarg’s Elder Brother!
Enemies: Dycedarg (Lune Knight), Knight x 5
Guests: Zalbag (Arc Knight)

See, it looks like Zalbag’s crazy, but we know better. The mission objective is to defeat Dycedarg’s Elder Brother – not sure why, but it means you have to kill Dycedarg. Zalbag’s on your side in this battle.

Orlandu can usually hit Dycedarg from where you start, so get everyone else into a nice battle-ready position. Dycedarg’s pretty easy…

Battle Forty-Five-And-A-Half: Fury’s Ghost

Objective: Defeat Adramelk!
Enemies: Adramelk (Ghost of Fury, Lucavi)

With the appearance of the fourth Lucavi Dycedarg’s knights and Zalbag all vanish. Now it’s just your team against the Lucavi of Capricorn.

Ghost of Fury Adramelk
Abilities: Seal, Chicken Race, Lose Voice, Loss, Bahamut
Strategy: Adramelk is supposed to look like a goat, but he looks more like a dragon. Either way, he tends to use Seal often, which petrifies a character. He’s fairly difficult despite Orlandu, but he’s not too hard.

Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
From deep within the flow of time...

But, for a certainty, back then,
We loved so many, yet hated so much,
We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed,
Under cerulean skies...
Dark FFnut is offline   Reply With Quote