View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #8

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor
Re: Morality and the human mind--how do we become good or evil?

"Truth."

What the truth is, is related in more ways than anyone might think. The choices that people make and the opinions that they share with each other and the world tend to shape and create something in their minds--that is, they tend to create their OWN truth, and the things that define it. Adolf Hitler thought that the world needed to be cleansed, and killing millions of Jews was going to solve that--that was HIS truth, and he thought that he was doing the world a great deed, a great justice. But most other people thought that was WRONG--it was evil and hateful to kill innocent people, no matter what their religion. The Jewish did nothing wrong, nothing at all. And so, what THOSE people considered to be the "truth," was that Hitler was an evil man, an induvidual who had gone insane from his killing spree and that had to be stopped, no matter what it took.

However you look at it, whatever the truth may be--it all depends on perspective. It all depends on the rational, logical, emotional choices that people make, and the actions that they carry out after making those descisions. Whatever may seem "good" in YOUR mind, may be repulsive, even "evil" to someone else.

Science can only go so far when it tries to come up with solutions as to why people think the way they do, why people are they way they are...but it goes on a much deeper level, one that NOBODY will be able to understand. Scientists think that the human mind is capable of anything--and I myself used to think the same thing. But now, I'm just not so sure. =P