View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #18

Mong00se
Moogle Farmer

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

The battle was lost. Malice fought desperately alongside Magus, the two exchanging worried glances frequently. Malice had sent multiple wind messengers to find his friends, and yet none had succesfully returned. Atop of the stairs where the two warriors fought valiantly, Malice could see the city below as it was swallowed by the plague of the demons and Gracian soldiers. The city had been overrun, and Malice was doubtful of the survival of many of the soldiers. All that stood now were the two large steel doors of the main castle. Inside, soldiers could be heard scampering, awaiting the demonic infiltration.

"Magus," cried Malice as a new row of demon underlings placed themselves strategically in between them. Malice cut down another demon, and pushed two more back with a stroke of violent wind. "We have to regroup."

Magus made another large arc with his scythe, creating a gap between him and the oncoming demons through the newly fallen ash. He looked to Malice quickly as he focused his energy into a beam of shadow. It leapt from his hand, piercing demonic hide and clearing another small path. "Yeah, I see a point in the centre of town. There is a small resistance of soldiers still fighting. Let's try to keep them alive. I could use a lift."

Malice nodded assuringly, and without looking thrust his dagger backwards. A wave of ash brushed his shoulder as the serpent dagger added another to its kill list. Malice said a prayer to the wind goddess, silently hoping that it wasn't in vain, and he cloaked. Picking up Magus, the two headed to the centre of town in hopes to save the soldiers from the foreboding stroke of death.

Even before landing, Magus jumped off, driving himself feet first into a crowd of demons. He quickly adjusted his footing, and slashed again, striking three off guard. A large demon approached Magus. It bellowed, a coarse muffled laugh from beneath its blackened exterior. It went to strike, but was interupted by the cry of an attacking retainer. The large demon casually swept the soldier aside, felling some of its kin in the process. It took another step towards Magus, and Magus braced himself for a quick killing stroke. Suddenly, Malice appeared on its shoulder, and quickly plunged his daggers into its neck. Malice sprung off gracefully as a large pile of ash remained.

The two fought efficiently, clearing the demons from the paths of the soldiers, always watching eachothers backs. A panther-like demon sprung at Magus from behind, and Malice hurled a dagger, connecting with the panthers neck. The soldiers cheered them on with kind remarks, but they were all in vain.

The demon lines suddenly halted, with Magus in mid swing. He comically sliced off the head of the nearest demon, who stood still awaiting orders. The demons took a step back, creating a pathway through their lines to the entrance of the city. In the spot where the gate once stood and now lay splintered against the stone wall stood Kain. His thunderous footsteps came closer, all the time never losing the appeal of a leader. He walked tall, with confidence. The air around him even seemed to shudder with each step that Kain took, as if acknowledging his greatness.

He entered the hallowed out area where the demons has receded from. He looked first at Magus, then at Malice, and smirked. "So this is all that your army could muster? Two pathetic would-be heroes? Heh, it feels almost a pity to waste energy defeating you." He laughed.

Malice knew better, but he was afraid that his partner wouldn't be as smart as him. Before Malice could say anything, Magus took the bait.

"Why you..." he said, and lunged forward.

"Magus wait!" cried Malice, realizing the flaw in his friends actions.

Kain sidestepped Magus' shoulder and lay him flat with a quick strike of his elbow. Magus struggled to get up, almost as if using all his strength, but quickly slumped back down, groaning. Kain drew his lance from his back, and pointed it at Magus' slumped body. "You see my friend? Not even a fight. You are weak, pathetic. Your human cities fall to the weakest of demons. Your human minds are crushed under our influence. The human race is pathetic and weak. It is a shame that I used to call it my own..."

As Kain taunted, Malice formulated a plan. He slowly slid his daggers into their sheaths and raised his hands behind him. His body shielded the movements of his hands, but Kain was too busy glorifying a race that wasn't his that he didn't notice the subtle moves.

"...and now I have obtained true power, a power which has brought my to a new level of being. No longer must I live in fear of the demons, for I am now one with them. This is the power worthy of a true champion. This is a power worthy of destroying you."

Malice looked up, a newfound determination in his eyes. "But there is one thing that you didn't forsee Kain. A villain's mind is clouded by darkness. I'm sorry, but you have just lost the upper hand."

With that, Malice released the channeled energy from behind him. He propelled himself forward, hitting Kain with a quick shoulder. Kain slid backwards in the gravel, and placed a hand where the shoulder had left its imprint. He looked up and scowled. "You won't get away with this!!!" he spat.

Malice had helped Magus up. Magus looked a little worse for wear, but still in decent fighting shape. Malice let go as Magus stood up by himself, and only then realized the attack coming from the point of Kain's lance. Malice had only a split second to draw his daggers. He crossed them downwards in an X, blocking the javelin that was being forced his way. Malice forced the lance downwards, and stepped on the wooden shaft, snapping it. He looked up, and was struck in the face by a fist. Malice sprawled backwards, releasing grip on his daggers. The dragon dagger skid to a halt directly at Kain's feet. Kain picked up the dagger, and toyed with it in his hands while he looked down at Malice.

"Nice try kid, I'll give you that..." Kain didn't have time to finish his speech. The sun, which shone down directly on Malice from behind Kain, was suddenly blocked out. Kain forsaw the attack, and holding Malice's dagger by the blade, quickly spun and threw the dagger towards the sun. Magus shuddered as the dagger pierced his armor and continued into his heart. He dropped forward, carried by his momentum, until his body slumped to the ground.