View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #6

Mong00se
Moogle Farmer

While Magus slept, Malice took the opportunity to explain his position to Ishia. They sat around a circular wooden table. Under Ishia's order, Nichi was serving them all hot tea to drink, but as he did so he shot begrudging looks. Having stated that he was a bounty hunter, Malice figured he didn't like doing the little jobs, or playing host.

The room around them was very plain. The same stone coliseum walls surrounded them, and there was a small kitchen and a table; the table where they sat. There were no decorations or intricate stone workings on the walls like Malice had seen on the outside of the temple. There was also a small bed in the corner. The room didn't seem to be organized for any specific purpose.

"Before we get started Ishia, I must ask, what room is this?" Malice asked.

"This is my secondary living quarters. I portray the image of a stern ruler, but on the inside, I'm fairly plain, and don't need alot to survive. I give back to the city as best I can." she replied.

"Well from what I can see, you run a fairly good city," Malice said with a grin on his face.

"And I see I don't intimidate you either, Malice. You say you're from Theira, and I believe you, but I don't understand. Theira usually stays veiled. They don't like visitors, and not many people know they exist. I've met with Elder Frobhai many a time, but besides him and his two guards, I've never seen another Theirian. I do not even know the whereabouts of your island. So I wonder, why has he sent you and not come himself?" Her face bore a concerned look.

Malice pulled out an unopened scroll and handed it to Ishia. "He told me to give this to you. I have yet to lay eyes on it. He said he must remain in Theira and monitor the situation from there, but he sends his regards."

Ishia took the scroll and smiled. The smile was warm and delicate, and only then did Malice understand how she had reigned for so long. She looked down and unrolled it and began to read. As she read, Nichi spoke up.

"So those strange markings, did you do those yourself?" he commented.

"Bah, we're born with them, us Theirians. Pretty cool huh?" Malice said playfully.

Nichi didn't even smirk. "Yea I guess."

Malice noticed the stone faced bounty hunter. "Ahh cmon rusty lighten up. Don't talk much do yea?"

"I let my sword do the talking. MNaybe you should try the same."

"Sorry fella, don't carry a sword." He pulled out his daggers, and twirled them around, putting on a show for Nichi. "But these babies do just fine I find."

From the other side of the table, Ishia gasped. Both Nich and Malive looked up at her. Her gentle face had changed to a look of shock. After a moment she looked up and addressed the two.

"Malice, what do you know about this?" she asked.

Malice shrugged. "I know nothing. I was supposed to deliver this to you and look out for any able fighters while keeping myself out of trouble. Why what's wrong?"

"You know of the crystal forge, yes?"

Malice's eyes widened. There was a problem with the crystal shrine? That would potenitally lead to the corruption of all the crystals that figureheaded the great cities. "Yes I know of it. It lies in the heart of Theira. It regulates the aura of the crystals, keeping corruption out of them. What has happened to the crystal forge?"

"Something has set it off, and the crystals are becoming unstable. They're preparing to launch the 4 great daemons. That would lead the world to dismay. Elder Frobhai has asked that you journey to the nearby villages and contact the neutral factions. If we can recruit them, then we might be able to stop whoever is behind the corruption of the crystal forge." She paused and looked at them, letting them absorb the shock. "Your elder has also asked that I send an able bodied man to assist you. Nichi, I would like you to go with Malice."

A voice came from the bed behind them. "I would like to go too. There is someone that I'm searching for, and exposure to the world will give me a better chance of finding her."

All three spun around to find Magus resting himself on his scythe. He was up and moving, but still straining.

Nichi was the first to speak. "If you can keep up, you can come little man."

Magus smirked, "Not only will I keep up, i'll beat you there."

"You must go, the crystals are becoming unstable. The minor crystals will release minor daemons, but there are 4 big crystals, located at the top of the castles of the four main kingdoms of Palis. The crystal of divine faith tops Gracia castle."

In the distance there was a small explosion. Dust shook off the roof, and footsteps quickly neared the room. Rufin swung open the door gasping.

"Ishia, the crystal we found in the inn, it released its power," he said panting.

"How bad's the damage?" Ishia asked.

"Not bad yet, but theres a ruby dragon roaming around town square."

Ishia looked to the three hero's, and they nodded.

"We're on it," Malice said.

"Who made you boss," Nich muttered under his breath.

The three ran out of the room and towards town square.