View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #65

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

Re: Chapter 4: Domination

((We’re in a town? Gawd, I’m so lost!))

Titania walked slowly along the snowy pathways, her arms wrapped around herself as she shivered in the cold, northern air. Nichi, Magus, Malice, Syne. Was anyone she knew when she had come to Palis still around? Belial perhaps... though she wasn't quite sure. Besides, it wasn't as if they were best of friends.
With little else to do, she stared at the shoes on her feet which had long since worn through. Silently, she thought to herself, remembering her time in Adinem and the strange circumstances that led to the slippers on her feet.

Pulling her out of her daydream, a small ball of string hit her in the leg. She stared at the poor object, her eyes following its direction to a group of children. Without a word, she bent, taking the ball and approaching the group.

“Is this yours?” she asked, holding it out to one of them.

The little boy flinched, moving slightly backward as if afraid “Are you…are you a ghost, madame?” he asked in a shy voice.

She shook her head.

“You don’t look like any of us.”

“I’m not from here.” She said, quietly “Beyond these mountains there’s lots of people who don’t look like any of you.”

The little boy nodded, staring at the hills and then at his string ball.

Titania smiled, placing the small object in his hand.

“What’s your name?” she asked,

“Noah.” The little boy answered.

There was a silence as Titania thought, “Is this a common name here?” she asked after a while “Are there many children with your name.”

The boy nodded, sticking out his chest proudly “It’s the same name as a great warrior from this town!”

“A king!” another child shouted

“A hero!”

Titania laughed a little –the first time she’d genuinely smiled in a long time “Hm…he is the hero of this town, then? I suppose he was born here.”

The children nodded.

“I’d love to hear the legend…perhaps you could tell me.”

“I could tell it backwards in my sleep!” cried a little boy, running up to her and tugging on her dress “Come, I will act it out for you!”

She smiled and laughed, picking up the child out of instinct “You will wait for my friend? I think he would very much like to hear the story to.”

The boy nodded and pointed at Glenn in the distance “Is that him?”

Titania nodded, and began to walk toward her friend, carrying the child though she was still weary.

“Glenn…” she called as she came nearer “I think this boy has a story to tell you.”