Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy Game Information
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy Game Information This forum is for information on the FF games. Walkthroughs, screenshots, cheats and tips, game summaries ect.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #1

dappa
Master Summoner

How to get loads of exp on the first disk on Final fantasy 9

You can defeat a grand dragon on disc one by doing this. When you leave lindblum for the first time go to qu's marsh and get quina to join your party.

Take quina back to lindblum and exit lindblum through the business district. There is a forest near pinnacle rocks. Fight the monsters in this forest till the bomb monster shows up (you may have to be patient as it rarely shows up).

Make quina eat a bomb and it will learn the 'mustard bomb' spell.

Go to the popos heights above gizamalukes grotto and challenge a grand dragon to a battle. Cast the mustard bomb on it and it will die when it trys to attack you.

This method relies on you getting the first attack on the dragon and the spell not missing it. When you defeat it make sure you save after each time because even if you manage to get your party to high levels using this method the grand dragon can still wipe you out as you have low strength armour.

Another method that works is go to the forests around the chocobo's forest and fight the mandragoras (the plant like monsters that throw nuts at you).

Get quina to eat one of them, quina will learn the ability 'limit glove'. Take quina to to gizamalukes grotto and delibrately ko him, then revive him.

There is a chance that quina will have 1hp when revived (if not keep repeating til you get 1hp)

Take quina to the popos heights and challenge the grand dragons to a battle. Cast 'limit glove' for 9999hp damage. Make sure your other party members stay idle and wait for quinas next turn. Have quina cast 'limit glove' again to finish the dragon off.

This method relies more on luck than the first method as you have to hope the dragon attacks both times with its claws rather than using thundaga and not hit quina either time.

You may want to try this method on the garudas that inhabit the forests in the popos heights first as they can be killed off with one hit with the 'limit glove' plus you still get a few thousand exp for your trouble.

This is quite useful for getting your characters to level 50+ early in the game so you can challenge the tantarion with high levels on disc two.

Last edited by dappa; 08-29-2007 at 02:35 PM.
dappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
2 + 2 = 5
T-Rexuar Snack

Re: How to get loads of exp on the first disk

Anotherway to to beat Grand Dragons on Disc 1, Is to make sure Freya wins the Festival of the Hunt in Lindblum. If she does you will recieve a Coral Ring which absorbs 100% of Thunder attacks. Equip this on someone and just keep attacking, reviving the dead characters whenever there hit with Thundaga. It takes a while but is possible on Disc1.

An easier way to do it before you fight Tantarian, Is to buy 2 extra Coral Rings and a Reflect Ring when in Treno. Then you'll be Invincible to the Thundaga attacks and will be able to reflect some of it back to kill him faster. You could also buy Maidains Rings, Fairy Rings and Pearl Rouges from the Auction House, which have the add-on ability for quick LV Up.

The only problem with Leveling Up early in the game though, Is that your Stats suffer. It's alot better to try to reach Memoria at a low Lv and then Power Lv Up.
2 + 2 = 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #3

dappa
Master Summoner

I once tried the method where you equip a coral ring to one of your characters and attack the dragon but got fed up with it as it was taking ages but it does work though.

I noticed that aswell that new members who join your party have the same level as zidanes level but seem to always have around 10 less for every stat including ability stones. I always thought that the stats they had when they joined were what they should've been if they had levelled up naturally. Thanks for clarifying that 2 + 2
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #4

dappa
Master Summoner

I was thinking the other day that If you deliberately ko zidane when you are defeating all these grand dragons on the first disk using the above methods then everyone else will get high levels and zidane will stay at a low level thus not ruining eikos and amarants stats when they join your party, as new recruits will always have the same level as zidane.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 AM   #5

Mega Flare
Moogle Farmer

Another Method of defeating grand dragons is to get the Oak staff on the first disc and have Vivi get to level 40 first.

Then go into gizamalukes grotto and go up to the grand dragon area but don't fight them.

Then save your game and fight Garudas first and weaken them first then make Quina eat one to learn white wind.

Then save agen and go to fight grand dragons put vivi and Quina in the back row and give Vivi the coral ring then use bio on the grand dragons to kill them off.

This does work as this is wat i did against them it takes time for vivi to get to level 40 but it's worth it.

If you still need more information regarding the signature size limit, see this thread: http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1098

Last edited by reasoniamalive; 08-10-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Mega Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 AM   #6

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

That is quite an interesting method. It's been so long since I have played so I don't remember exactly how I did it...I think I equipped Coral rings on everyone...

But I do know that fighting the Gimmie Cat (which is in the Dagurreo area, at the foot of the cliff,) repeatedly is a good way to make gil. You reap little experience, but hell, you get a lot of moolah if you fight them
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #7

Yggdrasill
Cruxis Angel

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill

I use the limit-glove method. It's the most effective as you can kill them in 2 turns.

Homer: I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.
Yggdrasill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #8

dappa
Master Summoner

limit glove on the first disk, a bit of luck on quinas part, two turns and the pesky dragon is dead.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #9

clief101_
1st class SOLDIER

yes...but ur relying on luck too much...afta every fite ud have to save it

and a really easy way to lvl up on the 1st disk (but time-consuming) is to fite those plant things in the forest...cant mamber wat its called, but wen ur running out of it (jus b4 blank gets petrified) ur ontop of these boulder things, and they jus keep coming one after the other...first u fite 1, then three, then 1 etc...i think thats how it goes...i no sum1 that got lvl 32 jus by doin this

Last edited by clief101_; 09-27-2007 at 06:57 AM.
clief101_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #10

dappa
Master Summoner

yeah i no what you mean, your talking about them mangdragoras. They can be a pain in the ass tho early in the game as they have high speed.

Yes you do have to save after each battle with those grand dragons but its worth it though if you want to power levell, make sure zidane is ko'd when you are doing this so future characters who join your party dont lose any stats.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #11

clief101_
1st class SOLDIER

ive neva understood that, ino that wateva lvl zidane is the new character is also that lvl, but how can it affect their stats??? arnt there stats fixed per lvl????
Old 10-18-2007, 05:17 AM   #12

dappa
Master Summoner

yes your right, new characters who join your party have the same level as Zidane when they join your party.

But what happens is they join with lower stats and ability stones for unknown reasons. If for example you powerlevelled zidane up to level 99 right at the start of the game everyone else would be 99 when they joined but would have stats that were around 10 to 20 less than they would if you had played the game normally. You can get round this by leaving zidane at low levels until you have all your characters in the game join you then power levell your characters to get their true stats
Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #13

clief101_
1st class SOLDIER

hmm...that could also tie in wif a low lvl game, but its annoying to power lvl at the end of the game...i mean wif lvl up on and goin to the first part of memoria, i jus battle the iron giants and chimera's...lol, i get the chimera's to put virus on 3 characters and power lvl that way...u get like 40 000 exp normally so wif lvl up on u get an extra 20K maybe?? i 4get wen it gets that hi??
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #14

dappa
Master Summoner

best thing to do is wait till amarant joins the party then powerlevell.

Lv5 death spell of quinas will bring the grand dragons down in one hit every time, or if you like a challenge powerlevell fighting the Yans on vile island.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #15

clief101_
1st class SOLDIER

yeh...but i still like it in memoria...my zidane is now 99 and every1 else is bout 70...im doin a charcter at a time